• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need comments for the skins of my proyect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi there.

Well, I've been working on skins for my proyect, "Monster Slayer". I want you to give me some advice, because I'm having a lot of problems to achieve the specific style I need.
First of all, I think I should explain what I want in my style: I need a mix of magic and technology. Like a fusion of stone, steel and magic energies. Basicly, I want to mix the old world with the future one. So said, in the world of my proyect, the military army will have vast machines of war, flying vessels, etc... but the soldiers will have magic powers, melee weapons, etc... The cities will have a somewhat rustic feel, but technology and science have to be there too.

I find very hard to make skins for this style, but this is what I get now, two pictures for now:

First of all, I've been trying to make the interior of a building. I've edited the walls' skin to give it an old & modern style, buuut... I think I got the "old" part of the wall, but I don't know how to get the "modern" part. I tried adding the neon lights of the picture, but I don't think that's enough.
Oh, also take a look at the archway, I edited it's skin too.
55852098.jpg

Here is a close view of one of those automaton golems. They are weapons of the army, that use a magic-powered AI, and act as sentinels on the city. At first, this model used the skins of human buidings, and I tried to replace the stone with metal plates, pipes and lights.
35397938.jpg

Please, note that the scenery is still a work in progress, so focus on the skins. Of course, if you have any suggestions for the senecery, they'll be welcome.
But for now, I need to know what do you think of the textures, and how can I improve them.

Note: I'll probably be updating more pictures soon.

NEW: I made some textures to replace the original textures of Dalaran's buildings.

Please, note that I'll use these buildings to make the background of the city, that will only be seen in very specific places (like when entering the city), or in some cinematics in which a large part of the city will be shown. Theoretically, they are buildings of the most modern area of the urbanization.
18526913.jpg

55734594.jpg

NEW: New textures. I re-textured some of the cityscape doodads, and some models of the UTM.

These are some cityscape doodads.
86004514.jpg

These are some buildings I found on the UTM. I re-textured them with the same style I've been trying to develop all this time, and I'll use them to build up towers, or to decorate different parts of the cities.
40540410.jpg

Regards

Last edited:
Though that one could use some feedback.

* Buildings look OK. They are not completely consistent with mesh, but you've said that they won't be observable from close view / for a while. So they're fine.
* Interiors look nice from sci-fi point of view, however you should either increase resolution of textures, or make them properly proportioned. Floor texture is actually pretty cool, but awkward stretching makes it look ugly on screenshots. Also I doubt that in futuristic world there would be a lot of wood for floors.
* Golem looks pretty strange. Especially with sci-fi building textures all over it. Should probably set mapping to standard or custom textures - there's a plenty of "material" in goblin-related textures.
* Somehow, interior walls reminded me of Quake 3. Probably 'fault' of those glowing lines. Not a bad thing though.

Overall, keep working, and you'll have cool style established.

Level 9
Though that one could use some feedback.

* Buildings look OK. They are not completely consistent with mesh, but you've said that they won't be observable from close view / for a while. So they're fine.
* Interiors look nice from sci-fi point of view, however you should either increase resolution of textures, or make them properly proportioned. Floor texture is actually pretty cool, but awkward stretching makes it look ugly on screenshots. Also I doubt that in futuristic world there would be a lot of wood for floors.
* Golem looks pretty strange. Especially with sci-fi building textures all over it. Should probably set mapping to standard or custom textures - there's a plenty of "material" in goblin-related textures.
* Somehow, interior walls reminded me of Quake 3. Probably 'fault' of those glowing lines. Not a bad thing though.

Overall, keep working, and you'll have cool style established.

Wow, I thought that nobody was going to answer. :)
Let's see...

* Interiors: Well, the walls are still a work in progress, so I suppose I can still play around with them. However, I'm glad you like its style. And for the floor's wood... First, the scenery is, as I said, in progress. The world of my proyect is not entirely futuristic, however. As I said in the first post, it's a mix of technology and magic, a somehow mix of the ancient world with the future world. So I don't really think that wood is bad. :)
What's more, the first playable area of the game is a huge forest.
But I will consider you opinion.
* Buildings: Yeah, they will be seen from a far distance, so I also think they look fine as they are right now.
* Golem: Sorry, I don't really get what you're trying to point...! :(
When I made its texture, I was thinking about something that resembled at the same time the ancient world and the future one. So I mixed the stone with tubes and neon lights. It's too much weird? :(

Well, I'll be soon uploading more pictures, but some more comments on these one would be very appreciated.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.