• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Check out my werewolf skin. Comments appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, I'm still new at skinning and I have yet to complete a single one (three are half done lol) but I like where I'm going with this one. Here's a screen shot of the head, tell me what you think so far.

http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=feralspiritnew1dq6.jpg

Well if you want some history on it- it's for a werewolf game I'm making. The werewolf is the main focus and it will be large and I want it to be highly detailed. I'm trying to make it scary so people really get involved in the game. Anyways, thanks.

Level 2
Hehe, yea I knew this was a tough crowd. I'll get the original skin up there tomorrow. Any suggestions? How can I make the hair and mouth match more?

Level 2
I can't get it on a model. When I load it up and follow all the steps, somehow it ends up as just a big red transparent mess. If someone can help me out, that'd be great. I've had a lot of problems with this.

Level 4
I can't get it on a model. When I load it up and follow all the steps, somehow it ends up as just a big red transparent mess. If someone can help me out, that'd be great. I've had a lot of problems with this.

Open the Wc3Viewer, open up whatever model this skin is for, at the top click on Current Files>Remap Textures and change the skin that the model uses to the one you want it to use.

He didnt save the alpha channels so whatever you said... I have no idea what you said.

Level 2
But what if I don't want to just view it? I want to actually put it in the model so I can use it? I've been trying and it just keeps going all red and stuff. PS, yea it's off the spiritwolf skin.

Level 7
your skin works perfectly fine see.

if you want to use it finish the whole skin first than remeber where and i think you import the akin in import manager than goto the model your using and type in the paths that this was on but you woul have to use feral spirit

Attachments

• ss0001.JPG
    ss0001.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 103
  • ss0002.JPG
    ss0002.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 169
Level 12
Well uhh pardon me but you do know that you can´t just place that on any models an expect it to fit you need to Uvmap it first that is if you made that from scratch cause its nice. (Mouth is a little weird)

Uhh pardon me, but I was talking about the model that this skin was for which was made by Blizzard for wc3 so it would already be unwrapped.

But what if I don't want to just view it? I want to actually put it in the model so I can use it? I've been trying and it just keeps going all red and stuff. PS, yea it's off the spiritwolf skin.

Then you would have to convert your skin to a .blp and import it in WE. There is a tutorial about that so try not to talk about that in this thread...

About the skin, good details on the eye even though they are useless. On the model the skin looks okay, though not great. You might want to make the hairs bigger/thicker so they show up more ingame. Also get rid of the huge tooth and put in smaller ones so the mouth works.

Level 2
So what you're telling me is... Even if I am making a the model like 2-3x times bigger... with the high quality skin.. It won't matter? There is no way to have high detail on just one unit in a game?

Also, I was wondering, can you alpha out in between the new teeth so that it is clear on the model? Or am I just asking for a pain in the arse?

Level 2
Well sorta? I'm confused? If there is still a way to make one model look nice (despite the little extra load time) I'll do it. If not, I'm going to go lazy on the rest of the body.

P.S. The lips don't seem so "colorful" on the model... They seem pretty toned down, perhaps for the games sake I should leave it so it's at least noticeable.

Level 2
I actually agree with you, wc3 is very unfriendly to custom work that is above the norm. It seems like converting to .blp is similar to adding about 3 layers of blur onto whatever project you have.

So since the model poly is low? A high rez skin just won't add any exra detail then? Dangit.. So much for the main focus of my game lol.

Maybe I should beg a modeler to help me out? Or what that even make a difference?

Sorry I'm new to this stuff... I'm trying though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Sorry for the double post. I'll try to stop asking so many pestering questions too. One last thing then. If I were to some how acquire a higher poly model, will that mean that my image will show up clearer on the model?

And yea, I'll try my best to read more tutorials on how to get the skin fully imported and working- I felt like I've read and tried everything. But I'll just pm you personally instead of wasting thread space if I can't figure it out. Thanks though. =D

Level 12
A texture can enhance a low poly model a ton. Think about how few polies some bliz models have, and they just use the skin to make up for it. You certainley won't get an experienced modeler to consistantly help you if you've only partially skinned one thing. Everyone has to start small. Just keep improving your skins until you can get better models to skin. Something you could practice would be getting the skin to suit the unwrap better

Oh, and I fixed your double post, you are only getting a warning this time, next I will neg you.

Level 2
Haha hey again, yet an other issue has come to my attention. On the bottom left corner of the spiritwolf skin there is a tooth. This tooth is replicated accordingly to make four fangs protruding from the upper and lower jaw of the wolf. Pretty cool in my opinion, I could add some blood and make some cool effects. But here's my problem- The teeth don't show up on the model. They only show up on the "head" model that is used for the ingame portrait. I was wondering if there was any way to make the actual game model use these teeth? (Yes this is the default wc3 skin I'm talking about too, so I know I didn't screw something up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.