• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How can i improve my skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
It still looks like filters and recolour. I highly suggest you "draw/paint" the additions rather than use options and colour/hue settings or filters okay?

It's look abit better but it doesnt match her skin, its far too bright and thus looks like its just been piled onto her skin. I highly suggest you draw the additions like iv stated. And use shading, not just 1 tone or whatever.

It doesn't really suprise me that it wasn't passed. That means either two things:

A: THE END has too high of an approval rate
B: People create crappy skins then submit them.

While choice A is correct a little bit, most people don't texture that well when they submit. Drac (and any new skinners), for future skins, post it on WIP here.

I once did an Ice Mage for this, and I realized how much I hate the Jaina wrap. I prefer to stick with someone else.

Level 45
yes i do use alot of filter thats cuz i could do anything else, all i know is how to draw lines, and i did it for the hair, pants and staff, but i could really do much with my current drawing skills.
Filters and such are on a different path than drawing and painting, and thus is why you arnt improving when you use filters and such. That is why you must draw and paint to advance in drawing and painting, filters distract you and you begin to rely on them, thus is why I suggest you practice with drawing and painting by experimenting without filters or graphical bar/adjustment changes.

Level 18
It doesn't really suprise me that it wasn't passed. That means either two things:

A: THE END has too high of an approval rate
B: People create crappy skins then submit them.

While choice A is correct a little bit, most people don't texture that well when they submit. Drac (and any new skinners), for future skins, post it on WIP here.

I once did an Ice Mage for this, and I realized how much I hate the Jaina wrap. I prefer to stick with someone else.

So are you saying..I'm a jerk!
....yes finally...>:)

Level 9
hey werewulf, you made tuts about how to draw right? i saw one of them it was "how to make a dragon eye from scratch?" that was awesome, do you still have the link? cuz i think it was back in wcsear at that time.

yea i agree with The_End, since this is the best wc resource place it shouldnt have crappy work, that would make the site better.
but i didnt know my work was crappy ^^

Level 4
Rotfl

Ok basically, more freehand is necessary. Give her face some frozen runes or something.
And use darker blues
Right now it looks like a nuclear irradiated ice queen

so true... hahaha... well you might want to change her skin tone a little bit to so its paler and then flush her cheeks and tip of the nose so she looks like shes out in the cold.... dunno if that helps im pretty new to skinning to...

Level 9
hey i think i should get a tablet for skinning, i love to draw....using pen, not a mouse, for some reason i cant think of ideas when using mouse to draw, but when i was drawing on my books i can keep it going for awhile, and am not really good at using my mouse, my mouse sucks too :\ i dont think i can freehand using a mouse.

lol, I use mouse for all of my skins. It may not be quite as "handy" as an art pad but I find it useful when doing very small details. I have used art pads in the past and I find it tends to make me try and use quick straight lines in multi-directional applications which is useful in drawing, but not in skinning. No matter how advanced your pad and program is, it is not the same as a pencil and paper. I would advise sticking with the mouse, at least until you get good at it, then if you really want to you can switch to the pad.

Level 45
sigh*
Do not touch the burn and dodge tools, there are only afew tutorials that show how to use it properly that are expections (with hair and such, a wc3c tutorial on hair/fur). Avoid them and smudge at all costs however, new people get attached to them and think they are "good" because they are "easier" but you cant really control them.

Just read up on the tutorials here, most of these are good, if not these then go to wc3campaigns, however some use filters and i dont know why it was accepted, avoid filters as you become reliant on them.

Really, just avoid the dodge/burn and smudge tools, I hate seeing people defend the tools they dont even know how to use.

Iv made a tut that isnt finished yet, but have a look:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45626

here is pick of chainmal steps (use after you read the tut):
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=414187&postcount=6

Basicly use the "getting started" bit in my tutorial as a basic and first guideline, once you use or know how to utilize that first step you can easily work more than just armour over it, its a base an thus a foundation. Good foundation=good work (but not all the time obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.