• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi guys.
There is one thing ive been searching for a pretty long ammount of time but still couldnt find it:
A "2D-sidescroller-RPG" like the "Castlevania" or "Metroid" for consoles.
The sort with the map and a ****load of variables like Weapons, Equipment, Skills etc.

I just wanted to create something like a Gothic/Medieval genre game.

Please, post some links here.

P.S. not sure if i should post this here but i just dont know where else to post this diverse topic.

Level 34
If you want to make a 2D hack'n'slash game, then you have to make it from scratch yourself. From innovation and mistakes you'll only learn something.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well lets break it down into different areas.
Graphics will need to be hardware accelerated for optimum performance.
Thus I advise Direct X or OpenGL.
Direct X 11
OpenGL should have one, but I can not find it.

You may wish to consider some highe up interface with them to save time.

You will then need some kind of programming language. Generally the best games are made mostly with C based languages. Java and python and such will also do but might be too slow for complex games but they are easy to get and use.

You could also try adobe flash, flash is both graphics and language in one, so it may be easier for you. Sadly this generally is not free.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Then it may be advisiable to look into taking a collage or university computer science course to get the fundimentals behind programe creation (and thus games).

Python and Java are both good languages to learn for a start and as Pyritie can tell (atleast for java) can be used to make fully functional 3D games which are realitivly efficent.

The big problem is for pushing hardware to its limits you will need C/C++ or assembly or even machine code, which is a lot hard to program (from easiest to hardest) but allows more efficent code.

hmm, OpenGL/DX for 2D graphics? they would do, but if I would be you, I would use SDL instead, not for speed but for simplicity. (easier to learn and has all you need for a 2D game).

Anyways, you could also try getting a game engine such as Irrlicht Engine and get a World Editor extention for it, that would be the easiest but complex path.

Level 3
Game Maker is pretty cool, but you can also make games quite easily with Java, Blitz3D, and other Rapid Application Development (RAD) languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.