1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Need a link.

Discussion in 'Gamer's Hub' started by dimasa3, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dimasa3

dimasa3

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hi guys.
    There is one thing ive been searching for a pretty long ammount of time but still couldnt find it:
    A "2D-sidescroller-RPG" like the "Castlevania" or "Metroid" for consoles.
    The sort with the map and a ****load of variables like Weapons, Equipment, Skills etc.

I just wanted to create something like a Gothic/Medieval genre game.

Please, post some links here.

P.S. not sure if i should post this here but i just dont know where else to post this diverse topic.

2. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you want to make a 2D hack'n'slash game, then you have to make it from scratch yourself. From innovation and mistakes you'll only learn something.

3. dimasa3

dimasa3

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Dude. Im asking for a link to ANYTHING that can help me make a 2d-sidescroller-RPG. I dont care if it is codes or a game maker. Just send me a link if you know some sites.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well lets break it down into different areas.
    Graphics will need to be hardware accelerated for optimum performance.
    Thus I advise Direct X or OpenGL.
    Direct X 11
    OpenGL should have one, but I can not find it.

You may wish to consider some highe up interface with them to save time.

You will then need some kind of programming language. Generally the best games are made mostly with C based languages. Java and python and such will also do but might be too slow for complex games but they are easy to get and use.

You could also try adobe flash, flash is both graphics and language in one, so it may be easier for you. Sadly this generally is not free.

5. dimasa3

dimasa3

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Aha... well i dont know any about the graphic crap (I got DirectX 10. Whats OpenGL)
    Never actualy needed it and didnt know where or how to learn that.
    So... all this stuff... C based languages, Java, Python... i dont know any of this.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Then it may be advisiable to look into taking a collage or university computer science course to get the fundimentals behind programe creation (and thus games).

Python and Java are both good languages to learn for a start and as Pyritie can tell (atleast for java) can be used to make fully functional 3D games which are realitivly efficent.

The big problem is for pushing hardware to its limits you will need C/C++ or assembly or even machine code, which is a lot hard to program (from easiest to hardest) but allows more efficent code.

7. scorpion182

scorpion182

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  8. dimasa3

dimasa3

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well i found this program kinda rofl. But its easy to understand ^^

9. scorpion182

scorpion182

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    you can try this one-rpg studio to create singeplayer/multiplayer rpg

10. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I personally recommend Multimedia Fusion 2.
    It's not free though, but you can download a limited 30-day trial version on their site. I find it to be the best and the easiest 2D game making program I've ever used.

11. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    hmm, OpenGL/DX for 2D graphics? they would do, but if I would be you, I would use SDL instead, not for speed but for simplicity. (easier to learn and has all you need for a 2D game).

Anyways, you could also try getting a game engine such as Irrlicht Engine and get a World Editor extention for it, that would be the easiest but complex path.

12. dimasa3

dimasa3

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Dudes. Please dont mension anything about OpenGL, SDL, Java, Python and that kinda stuff because i dont know a crap about all this advanced stuff. Cmon. I even failed at learning the basics of JASS -.-

13. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Multimedia Fusion 2 (especially Multimedia Fusion 2 in my opinion) and Game Maker are the user-friendlier type of applications for users who lack the knowledge of coding stuffs.

14. nullmind

nullmind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Game Maker is pretty cool, but you can also make games quite easily with Java, Blitz3D, and other Rapid Application Development (RAD) languages.