• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My Terrains V3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Now I think I've improved a lot from the past works I've done. I was thinking of adding a dynamic lightning effect to this terrain of mine. But I have no idea where to place it, and I'm sort of confused how to do it. And, I'm starting off to learning the alpha tile that I started hearing before. I'll probably put an screenshot of my first try using an alpha tile. If I ever had the time, kindly please give me an example of how to use an alpha tile. Thank you,

Now to get back, here's my terrain and this is my third try. I hope you liked it.

Edit: I included my first two tries,

Attachments

• Trials.png
    Trials.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 442
Level 6
Thank you, greatly appreciated though, I feel it's a bit empty in some places, maybe adding an torch beside the tree will give more eyecandy. I think so.

Level 6
Thank you, I'll try to do that next time. I'm currently studying about lightning on how to use them. And about alpha tiles, I'm totally interested about alpha tiles.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Here's a tutorial of mine on reflections in terraining, it covers the use of alpha tiles: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ials-278/using-reflections-terraining-171148/
As for your terrain, it has been dramatically improved although I think the doodads are a contributing factor to this. You could still improve it from a terrainer's point of view.
Mainly I wish for you to use some size variation with the rocks you're using. And try not to place as many small ones, keep it mostly large. Also, I suggest you cover the entire cliff instead of half of it.

Level 6
I'll try to keep those in mind guys, thanks for the tips. I'll use them for my next terrain, I was going to try that reflection alpha tile, and I will try it at Saturday or even tomorrow I just wish I don't have any works on that particular day.

M0rbid said:
I guess it's not really about: choosing a topic, creating something and go like: "okay, now i have done forrest, now I can go on"

It's more like a feeling: do whatever comes to your mind, this will most likely help you toimprove by yourself automatically and is way more funny, and interesting than only sticking to topics.

As for now, I think I won't make further progress with this, I'll stick with M0rbid's
way of terraining, I already have something in mind. But I think it's not that original, I'll try to combine the camps you've been talking about for a while on a certain place. I think I already know how to use the alpha tile, but still I don't have an single idea how to make the lightning. I have in mind to make it dark, but I guess starting off with an easier one will be better. I hope you'll like my next work. =)

Level 6
Its nothing dude, thank you fladdermasken. I will, when I need to, I'll try to figure this myself, I don't want to bother you, but when I fail. I guess there's no other choice.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Reflecting a huge mountain is easier if you use larger rocks for the base. Instead of constructing said mountain with a dozen tiny rocks, you use one or two larger rock(s) for a foundation and then optionally you can add debris and smaller rocks as details.

Back to your terrain:

I like it, the new one looks much better.
The island you have constructed here isn't really appealing to me however, as you can imagine. Firstly, you should do as I mentioned above. Secondly, it cries for vegetation to balance the imagery. As the foreground is in full bloom, the background should at least have some vegetation.

Level 6
Fladdermasken, may you please teach me how to create eerie/dark lightning/fog? I think that kind of lightning would make my next terrain tenfold better. Thanks,

+rep for all the help :) thanks,

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Fladdermasken, may you please teach me how to create eerie/dark lightning/fog? I think that kind of lightning would make my next terrain tenfold better. Thanks.
For darker terrains, the Black Glow model is excellent to work with: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-134939/?prev=search=black%20glow&d=list&r=20
For lighting to truly be effective, you must mix terrain fog with fog and glow models tinted differently.
If you want a more detailed explanation you could always PM me with an example of your terrain :)

Level 6
Thanks, I'll try to start off with bright terrains since it sounds easy to me, but I don't want to bother you on such an huge file? I think I'll do it in UTM.

Level 6
Anyone can teach me how do you make those colorful skies? On your works? Fladdermasken? Anyone can help. :) +rep fladder.

Level 23
By using different fogs and glows from UTM and tinting them I assume. Howerver everyone has his own style in creating skys, so fladdermasken might have a totally own technique. But instead of copying it, I suggest you to try on your own by experimenting with the glow model of the UTM and maybe also the cloud models!

Level 6
Can you give me the site where there are ample of colors (RGB) I know there is something but i just forgot what site it is.

Level 6
I failed at really intense lightning, though. I can't get the black glow model, all it did was, darken the whole thing. and I couldn't see a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.