• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Terrainer to the Hive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am very unique and I like to be unique. I saw first terrains of many other terrainers, and I figured one thing: I should not start until I read every bit of every tutorial here... I downloaded UTM and practiced, practiced, practiced... Thanks to some tutorials, I now have alpha tile and I just love it (I used it in this terrain)! I've never posted terrain on any site on Internet, so this is my first actual Internet terrain. I hope you like it.
P.S. I know that there are many flaws, and I'd like to improve, so be free to tell everything you mean about terrain.
P.P.S. Terrain is considered to be the end of the world.

Attachments

• End of the World.png
    End of the World.png
    972.9 KB · Views: 212
  • End of the World2.png
    End of the World2.png
    785.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Level 23
This really is a great start and shows how useful it is to deal with the business before starting it. The atmosphere you created in this piece is really great for a start and the use of the alpha tile is nice. To point a few things out so you can take this to continue your terraining and improving. The placement of the rocks can be improved by them being placed a bit better, right now they often look like bubbles or knobs in your terrain while they should look more natural. In the foreground they also look like a ring around an island, some more rock variation inside the ring would be nice here.
On a second note your grass placement in the foreground could be improved slightly.
And as something more advanced for later on, you can also improve the sun/lighting/atmosphere part by trying to sharp out the sun more. I suggest you to read or reread Void's tutorial about that one day.

Overall a very promising start, hope those pointers will help and motivate you to continue!

Level 3
Great and creative use of alpha tile. Good job. Keep practising. This is looking promising.
This really is a great start and shows how useful it is to deal with the business before starting it. The atmosphere you created in this piece is really great for a start and the use of the alpha tile is nice. To point a few things out so you can take this to continue your terraining and improving. The placement of the rocks can be improved by them being placed a bit better, right now they often look like bubbles or knobs in your terrain while they should look more natural. In the foreground they also look like a ring around an island, some more rock variation inside the ring would be nice here.
On a second note your grass placement in the foreground could be improved slightly.
And as something more advanced for later on, you can also improve the sun/lighting/atmosphere part by trying to sharp out the sun more. I suggest you to read or reread Void's tutorial about that one day.

Overall a very promising start, hope those pointers will help and motivate you to continue!
Thanks to both of you! I'll do my best to improve myself. :)

Level 7
Good that you did what you did. Reading and learning will always come in handy, when trying to make an masterpiece. About the picture:

I like the colors and lighting of this terrain, cause thats one of the main thing what makes it look cool. You have placed doodads mostly well, but there are some things, what you should maybe try to change. atfirst i dont like thse magic lamps, they seem out of picture atm. You should try to remove them or come up with a way to make them fit the picture more. Also my personal opinion is that you should change those elven farms, cause they aint looking good IMO.

Kepp it going and + rep for your effords

Level 3
Ok, update.
I changed fog to light yellow, removed farms, rune, magical lamps and some rocks and added rocks on the "main land". I also changed formations of existing rocks a bit.
Comments and critiques are welcome!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The update is less appealing than your original one.
  • Medivh is really in a 'none strategic' position in contrast to your first where his position made much more sense.
  • The sky is the other matter I find less appealing, the glow gave it a cute characteristic look where as the sky in your update gives it a more 'awkward' end of the world feeling.
I should also mention that the foreground rocks could do with some editing. Overall I'd recommend you to use larger scaled rocks and place less of them.
Quantity does not equal quality ;)

However, I would like to show you my gratitude for actually trying and not half-assing it. That is really refreshing to behold, believe me.
You have lots of potential, as Megafyr and M0rbid pointed out. Now get back to work, and promise me to keep terraining :p

Level 3
The update is less appealing than your original one.
  • Medivh is really in a 'none strategic' position in contrast to your first where his position made much more sense.
  • The sky is the other matter I find less appealing, the glow gave it a cute characteristic look where as the sky in your update gives it a more 'awkward' end of the world feeling.
I should also mention that the foreground rocks could do with some editing. Overall I'd recommend you to use larger scaled rocks and place less of them.
Quantity does not equal quality ;)

However, I would like to show you my gratitude for actually trying and not half-assing it. That is really refreshing to behold, believe me.
You have lots of potential, as Megafyr and M0rbid pointed out. Now get back to work, and promise me to keep terraining :p

Hehe, thanks :)
I WILL keep terraining and I listen to every advice, but I just cannot work on this anymore. But even now I'm thinking of an idea for my new terrain.
~Apocalyptic

Level 18
good stuff here. Try and maximize the graphics on your worleditor before you take screenshots. It seems a bit pixely

but thats besides the point. for some contructive critisism, i suggest a better camera angle. my favorite angle is to have a good view of the sky ;)

keep up this work, you show great potential and you have very good skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.