1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

My Terrain Art

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by nightelfbuilder, Jan 26, 2018.

1. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm going to post Photos of my terrains here since well they are just going to be buried in the Media section. Enjoy!

Terrains

GIF

Children of the Stars
    [​IMG]

The Dark Lady
    [​IMG]

Lair of the Kraken
    [​IMG]

Visions
    [​IMG]

Pictures

Frigid Fray
    [​IMG]

A link to my Album: Terrains | HIVE
    A link to my Playable Terrains: Template | HIVE

Have Fun!
    P.S "I really need to learn photoshop to give depth to some details of my terrain."
    Need some tips and trick on how to improve my terrains.
    Going to add the rest of the terrains after I'm done editing them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Really nice terrains, could make amazing cinematics with that. But those lines are jarring, fix them.

3. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Does it work for the World Editor?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yes, except, since WE is not played in its own window, depending on how you set up your settings, you have to set antialiasing on for desktop level stuff. But in general just turn it on for everything and you'll be fine.

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have no privileges for that.
    But what do you need that for? Use the green Report button at the bottom of one of your posts and ask for what it is you want.

6. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thanks but never mind that, got really blind and stupid for a moment. Already found the edit button.

7. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Love them! Pretty atmospheric :)

8. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thanks, going to update them for the Anti-aliased versions of them.

9. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Good stuff.

Careful with how you place glows though, when they overlap with other models e.g. rocks they create a fugly line.

It was more jarring in the screen you removed, but you can still see it in the new one by that draenei in the foreground.

Place the glow models closer to the camera, "in front of" the objects.

10. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I made a newer version of the Draenei Terrain but still can't upload it cause I need to add a little touch using photoshop and I'm also going to express this that you're actually commenting on my terrain and that's like the best thing ever in my life, you're like the God of terrain art and I'm so fanboying rn.

11. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Once in a blue moon I descend from my throne to dispense my arcane wisdom.

12. Neruvatar

Neruvatar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I look forward to working with you in the future! =D

13. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The "Visions" is dedicated for @Archian and I'm going to dedicate terrains for those who inspired and helped me during my stay here on hive. Expect more to come. ;)

14. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What an honor :) Really nice looking terrain there. I guess you are thinking about my Fall of Argus project?

Keep up the good work!

15. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Call me an old fart, but I'm not sure what I think about this GIF idea.

To me it just makes the terrains a bit too chaotic, too much things happening in the form of movements and whatnot.
    At least I think you should include still pictures as well as the GIFs for your terrains, as it makes the job of reviewing
    them much easier. Anyway.

There's a lot of unit action going on in these scenes, and the two first ones are zoomed way too much in.
    Units can sometimes add to a terrain, but they are difficult to use in a good way, mostly due to the fact that
    unit models tend to be of much lower quality than the overall terrain models. Therefore you should use units
    sparingly, in my opinion. A scene is most often much better without the clutter of unit models.

Actually, the zoom in the first one isn't all that bad, there's much too many units cluttered on the screen for my taste.
    The second one, however, well. The fact that the Sylvanas model takes up nearly half of the screen is bad. The overall
    unit clutter and particle clutter is bad, and the ground texture is rather bland and flat. I don't think there's much to be
    done to save it, though.

The "lair of the kraken" terrain is weird, especially the overly glowing fog. There's too much intensity in it, and the rock
    formations are a bit too jagged, while I do like the idea of the terrain, the execution could be better.

The final one is the best one by far in my opinion. It has a nice zoomed out view, units are used sparingly, there's no particular
    over-the-top glowing particle stuff going on, and the reflection work is pretty well executed. My concerns with it is mostly in
    relation to the background, I think the rock outcroppings or islands or what they are seem to be a bit too repetitive, and considering
    they are mostly the only thing that make up the background, it is rather glaring. You should either consider adding a bit more detail
    to them, or around them, or just generally make them a bit more varied. Maybe one of them could be "destroyed"?

There's also a slight hint of end-of-the-world going on, which would be rather easily fixed with some more layers of fog and maybe
    some fogged out mountains or something in the background.

Overall, though, it is nice to see some fresh blood around here, I hope you stick around and make some more terrains for us.

Welcome to the Terrain Board ^^

16. DaveDave91

DaveDave91

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really awesome! I would like to get that KRAKEN model for my next terrain "Abyssal Depths"

Would you be so kind to provide me with the model or download link?

17. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The Warcraftsite i got the model from is down but i'll look for the model and when i find it i will send you a paste link.

18. DaveDave91

DaveDave91

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you! That would be awesome :D