• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My own skinning crashes the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I made my first skin today, I made a skin for "Fearie Fire" and used in a spell that I created, when I start the effect of the spell(when the game tries to show the skin) my game crashes :\ hereafter I want to create new skins and who knows upload them here to the hive, but if they still do not work in-game is useless. :vw_sad:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Please post it, I am researching blp for my JAVA plugin and would be interested to see what is wrong.

If it is compressed as JPEG it is possible the JPEG standard used is beyond WC3's ability to load. WC3 uses the Intel JPEG libraries which were discontinued years ago and so have a deprecated version of the JPEG container standard. BLPs created with more modern JPEG libraries might not be able to be interpreted by WC3 even if they are correctly formatted (4 channel BGRA).

Also do note that WC3 only supports BLP1. BLP0 was used by WC3 RoC beta (and internal alpha builds) and never made it to release WC3. BLP2 is used by WoW so is not supported by WC3 (too new). Using a BLP2 in WC3 could quite possibly cause a crash because of the difference between BLP1 and BLP2 headers. Make sure the BLP maker you use is aimed at WC3 and not WoW since many WoW players wanted custom skins and so use their own BLP exporters (BLP1 vs BLP2).

Do note that porting from WoW to WC3 is completely legal and supported. The skin section will not accept straight ports but it is completely fine to ask for help porting the skins.

Level 4
Well, there are the model and the skins, the path files of all is only remove the war3mapImported\ and write Textures\ before the star4 32.blp
And about the blp files, how do I know if the BLP is BLP0, BLP1 or BLP2?

Attachments

• FaerieFireTarget.mdx
    31.5 KB · Views: 33
  • ButterFlyBlack.blp
    4.2 KB · Views: 42
  • star4_32.blp
    2.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Star7black.blp
    5.5 KB · Views: 37

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
how do I know if the BLP is BLP0, BLP1 or BLP2?
Open with a text editor. The file should start with "BLP1" or "BLP2" in readable form. They should not be BLP0 as that is a multi-file format used only up to RoC beta.

Will check them later for the problem.

EDIT:

Something is wrong with the mdx file and not the textures used. Substituting exported working in-game textures for the ones used by the model results in a crash when it is loaded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.