• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first model progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I've been trying modeling in Gmax and so far its going pretty good. I'm working on a bed model. Here's what it is so far:

Click the image to see the actual size^^.

It will get a better skin in the end, but I'm still figuring it out.

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions regarding the model.

Level 7
gmax texturing?

Im sorta new to gmax also Oz, However ive gotten pretty far in the tutorials that it comes with. One problem i have yet to figure out is why ever time i use the material navigator and drop and drag a skin onto my model that it doubles the skin. Usually one skin on top and bottom?? Do you have any advice?
thanks, alreadyused

Level 13
Don't worry, I'm not using that skin in the end. I was just using it try out UVW Unwrapping. I'm going to get someone to make a good skin for the bed and stuff (since I suck at any form of drawing).

@alreadyused: Strange. You say it doubles the skin? I'm afraid I can't help you there, as I've only just begun modeling myself. Maybe send me your model and I can see what's wrong?

Anyways, now I have a problem. I made three seperate images for the skins (one for the matress, one for the pillow, and one for the frame) and now when I export it inot mdl, the mdl file has only one place for textures. If anyone know how to add two places for the three skins, please tell me, or I'll have to combine them all into one skin, which makes it much more difficult since I would have to move vertices and stuff around :?.

Level 7
oz02 said:
Anyways, now I have a problem. I made three seperate images for the skins (one for the matress, one for the pillow, and one for the frame) and now when I export it inot mdl, the mdl file has only one place for textures. If anyone know how to add two places for the three skins, please tell me, or I'll have to combine them all into one skin, which makes it much more difficult since I would have to move vertices and stuff around :?.

Hello Oz, not sure if your still doing modelling or not but i remembered this question of yours and i did figure out how to make multiple skins on one model. If your interested in knowing still then post back.

Level 7
oz02 said:
Yes, I'm still interested, although I thought you said I should use the progrmas you showed me?

Yes you should use those unwrapping programs they do nearly all the work for you however, if you are interested in making multiple skins for one model you can get more detail into certain points of your model, and also takes up more space etc. but can look better.

Anyways heres how you do it.
To have say 2 seperate skins on a model you would first use the tools i told you about to unwrap and create an outline to make your skins from. Each skin after created would then have to be applied to seperate meshes. Example. you have a model made out of a cone and a box. The box and cone are seperate meshes to your model unless you combined them into one mesh. "keep them seperate meshes"
Next drag and drop the skins you made on to the apropriate meshes. One for the box, one for the cone. Run your dex script and convert to mdl.
Next thing you do is open up your mdl. file and scroll down till you get to textures. You must add in another line for textures so you have two slots. Type in 2 instead of 1 for number of textures. Also enter the file paths for the skins you used.
This is the exact way mine looked

Textures 2 {
Bitmap {
Image "box.blp",
}
Bitmap {
Image "cylinder.blp",
}
}

After you do this you gotta add another material line also cause your using multiple materials on one model. This is how it should look. The textureID number needs to be altered. The first one can be left alone but the second one must be changed to 1. The texture id number relates to which skin the material is using. If you look up above texture id starts counting at 0 and goes up. The Texture id 0 would relate to my first skin the box.blp and id 1 would related to cylinder.blp

Materials 2 {
Material {
Layer {
FilterMode None,
static TextureID 0,
}
}
Material {
Layer {
FilterMode None,
static TextureID 1,
}
}
}

After you have this done you can hit cntrl F and youll get a word finder pop up. You should then type in material and it will bring up some text but what youll be looking for is the material ID number. In this case it needs to be either 0 or 1. Scroll up quite a bit and youll see the name of the model mesh this applies to. If it was your box mesh then you go back down to your material id # and change it 0. Since our material that relates to our box skin is material 0. Then go down and find your next mesh material id # and change that one to 1 since that material ID# relates to the cylinder skin.

Hopefully this will help you out if you want to add multiple skins.

Level 7
unfortunately those code lines appeared incorrect.
Hopefully they show lined up properly this time.

Code:
Textures 2 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "box.blp",
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "cylinder.blp",
	}
}

Code:
Materials 2 {
	Material {