• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Im just started modeling yesterday (around 10) and I think I've got the basics of gmax figured out (the user interface is very simple). Only thing is I have a few questions, and all help is appreciated.

1.) How do I merge two objects together? (I know about creating parents and whatnot but I need to merge them into a single poly)
2.) How do I create attachment points with gmax? (or do i need a seperate program?)
3.) How do I create animations in gmax?
4.) Can I attach particle emitters in gmax?

Anyway heres what I've been able to make so far (note: none of these are useable in wc3 yet.)

Attachments

• Models.jpg
    Models.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 126
Level 45
1.im not exactly sure with gmax, select a part, go into editable poly/mesh and click "attach" and select the thing u which to merge.

2.Weapons wont need attachment points, just make sure you have them properly on the grid/axis so they are centered.
If you need to add attachment points for other things, just use magos.

3.I dont know :(

4.from my knowledge gmax cant

Your things are okay...but i can smell they arnt unwrapped...
and...your sword..makes no sense at all.

Level 45
Gmax stuff
just dl that stuff.. Im not exactly sure on gmax, but maybe Xlightscreen will be able to help, since he too uses gmax and knows the stuff.
EDIT: no wait

Seijaku Tenshi:
1-Copy the Import/Export file.
2-Paste it in
Gmax Directory -> Scripts -> Startup
3-Then goto the Utilities Tab
4-Then click on MaxScript
5-Find the Drop down box, if you have no other scripts in the scripts folder you should see MDX Importer/Exporter, click the dropdown box then click the MDX Importer/Exporter, a lot of crap should show up saying Import MDX, Export MDX, ect...

Level 8
mmk well Werewulf has some of it right not all so here the redo of some of it.

1. She got it right unless you wan't to know how to attach 2 polies together A.K.A wielding.

2.under the helpers tab there a button called Point Object click that and click on your model window and it will create a simple cross kinda deal. Then you have to name it whatever part of the attachment. But its pretty complex so I recommend you just add it with warcraft 3 model editor. Otherwise I'll just post the tutorial link

3. To create animations first you need alot of asprin becuase the first few times is one pain in the ass. But you need to create bones under the objects tab. Just keep in mind where you click it dosen't matter where you drag the bone or how large but the exact part you first started the bone will be its pivot point. Then you do a butch of stuff you just have to go through the tutorial about. Or just PM me

4.You can't directly attach particals in the model editor but you can with a notpad but a better deal is to create the polypoint(just a single stray poligon) then go on the warcraft 3 model editor and attach it there.

A Tip on exporting:

When you open the listener you notice you can only copy so much at a time which can be a pain becuase if you just miss one number or even a spacing now and then it can mess your whole model up. So start at the very bottom of the script now hold the alt key and start highlighting just move your mouse all the way pass the window and move it in circal to continue highlighting stuff but don't put it back on the window. Now right click out of the window then click on the top the window again(but not directly on the text). then hit Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V on the blank notpad you got open. and whoola easy copy!

and if that dosen't help or confuses you more here is the link to a tutorial
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/magos.php

Level 45
You havnt unwrapped the models, thus they dont have a texture.

Certain groups have colours so u can tell them apart.
and when u merge groups they share 1 or the assigned skin on the parent ..group..thing. So if u have a stick, u apply the texture call 1 on it, while the leave has texture 2, since you have selected the stick and merged the leave on it, it will have texture 1.

sorry if thats confusing, it might not be the same since i use max.

Level 13
Yea, a tutorial would be very nice. I've been trying to go through Mago's modeling Tutorial, but none of the images work so its difficult. I cant seem to get the unwrap right either. I think im close to getting it to work but i cant seem to get past this part in the tutorial:
Then select Edit as shown in the picture below.
lol. Its like... WHAT PICTURE?!
Anyway, I found "Edit" and uploaded my .bmp file for the unwrap but nothing happens.

Attachments

• Lost.JPG
    Lost.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 110
Level 8
pssht my wrapping is fine I just don't got though little easy options like 3dsmax does :p. anyways to unwrap.

even though your weapons are diffrent colors when you import them into warcraft 3 they will only take the color of the team color so your going to have to make a texture. Which im guessing you already know that so lets get to the acutual process here first.

To make your unwrap/layout first click on your object then on the modifiers list scroll down tell you find unwrap UVW. then acorse click on it and you have it on there with a butch of parameters on the bottom right to mess with. now click the little +tab next to the Unwrap UVW on the modifers list now click the edit button and a new window will pop up and it will have a flatten image or sometimes just mangle butches of verticies and edges. So in order to orginize this click + next the the Unwrap UVW and click on select faces. Now select all of the item on your model window and then scroll down on your parameters tell you see some wierd thing called Sub Object Params.

Basicly this is how you flatten/orginize the vertices to match your texture for the axe for instance you probaly wan't a nice sideway view flat layout. to do this depending on how your axe is facing click on X,Y,Z,or averaged normals. then click the planar Map just keep fooling around with that tell you get the desire unrwap. now your model is setup to add a texture onto it, the best way you can make your texture now is to take a screenshot of the layout and draw over that.

Sorry for the long explanation I really should just wright a tutorial about this stuff but as you can see my writting skills suck lol.

Level 13
Nah, your writing skills dont suck. I do have a question though, I keep trying to get the sub Object Params set but the UVW wrap wont show up. Any idea as to why? And also, do I need to save my UVW wrap?

Edit: Im using a plane surface rather than a 3d shape. Could that cause a problem with the texture?

Last edited:
Level 8
mmk well to do that first right click on your Perspective text on your bottom right window and click on edge faces. This will tell you if you acutly have the stuff selected. now sometimes your unwrap can hardcore F up where you have to do a butch of crap to fix it but I'm pretty sure its not your case. there is 2 possible things happening right now

1. on your edit UVW window look at the bottom of it at a little traingle thingy called filter selectfaces basicly if this is on you can only see the faces that you selected on select faces.

2. on your modifier list winodw make sure there is know verticy,poligon,edge,element symbols next to your unwrap if there is to get out of that click on your Editable mesh twice then click back to the unwrap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only time you need to save your unwrap is if your going to do some hardcore mesh editing where it will reset it if you don't or if your using pieces of the same mesh for some other project. And know it dosen't matter if its a plane surface or a 3d shape.

Level 13
2. on your modifier list winodw make sure there is know verticy,poligon,edge,element symbols next to your unwrap if there is to get out of that click on your Editable mesh twice then click back to the unwrap.

Only symbol next to unwrap UVW is the lightbulb (which is highlighted lol). Still not showing up. Heres some screenies of the steps I followed. Maybe I skipped something important?

Step 1: Select Face (Thumbnail 1)
Step 2: Edit UVW's and "Update Map" with "Filter Selected Faces" On. (Thumbnail 2)
Step 3: Scroll down and press "Planar Map" under "Sub Object Params" with the dial "Averaged Normals" selected. (Thumbnail 3)

Edit:
I was looking at the project, I had some lighting effects. Removed the lights and it still doesnt work. Also, I noticed that the leaf is only visible on one side. (Thumbnails 4 and 5)

Attachments

• Select Face.JPG
    Select Face.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Edit UVW's and Update Map with filter on.JPG
    Edit UVW's and Update Map with filter on.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Scroll down and press Planar Map.JPG
    Scroll down and press Planar Map.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Left Side.JPG
    Left Side.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Right Side.JPG
    Right Side.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Level 8
mmk well check the following things:

Make sure you have it on smooth+highlights if you know what that is and if you don't probaly means you didn't mess with it so its a good thing.

As for your 2nd side issue click on the red,yellow,blue sphere icon thing on your far top right it will bring up a list with textures click on the sphere version(not just the pic version) and then on that menue check the 2-sided part on it and you should now see both sides. also try clicking on the leaf then click on apply on that same window and that might fix your problem of not showing it. You can alwase just attach it and ill fix it for you if your still having problems after that.

Level 13
Yea! haha I got it to work! lol. So for a UVW texture to show up then the material also needs to be placed on the object? Anyway, im not sure if i did it right but its showing up now. Thanks :smile:

Also, could you explain the gmax Material Navigator to me please? I have a screenie of what I did to make it work. Is this correct? or is it "ghetto-rigged"? lol.

Attachments

• Material Navigator.JPG
    Material Navigator.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.