• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Model In GMAX WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well here's what I've done and I think it's fine (XD) I still don't know some things about the interface and stuff but I finally made a torso. It seems I can't find any Gmax tuts on the net.

FirstModelInGmax.png

Texture was from a Basic Gmax Tutorial on w3campaigns

Last edited:
Level 3
Can not find? Most tutorials are not specifically for vanilla Gmax, but for specific game pack like Trainz or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Much of their tutorials teach basics how to use Gmax. Gmax is based on 3ds Max 4, search Max 4 tutorials and they match pretty well.

For starter it is difficult to start modeling biological forms with all legs and hands. Doing simple stick-men or buildings, barrels, letters, gets you going.

Keep your vertices (triangles, polygons) count down when doing so simple models, they do not need high definition.

Of course keep up your spirit, for first try it is rather abstract and even bit advanced (all these angles and different shapes with smoothness). You learn quick, by playing you learn :)

Level 10
Can not find? Most tutorials are not specifically for vanilla Gmax, but for specific game pack like Trainz or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Much of their tutorials teach basics how to use Gmax. Gmax is based on 3ds Max 4, search Max 4 tutorials and they match pretty well.

For starter it is difficult to start modeling biological forms with all legs and hands. Doing simple stick-men or buildings, barrels, letters, gets you going.

Keep your vertices (triangles, polygons) count down when doing so simple models, they do not need high definition.

Of course keep up your spirit, for first try it is rather abstract and even bit advanced (all these angles and different shapes with smoothness). You learn quick, by playing you learn :)

Wow thanks for the comment and the info about the tuts. Well I don't know how to lower the polygons, triangles. I actually see rectangles O. O.

Anyway thanks I'll be seeing what i can do with trash cans next or like you said a building. XD.

Well I textured the model and added abit of like arms. To finish it up ^_^

Instead of making an arrangement of primitives (Toruses, spheres, boxes) you should try box-modelling. It's simple and fun.
- create a box and set its segments to 1, 1 and 1 (or anything else you'd like)
- right-click it and convert to Editable Mesh
Now you shall edit your mesh. There are many options on how to do it. The most important buttons on the right panel, with which you should play around to get familiar with the interface, are:
- Move, Scale, Rotate (obviously)
- Collapse (under vertex geometry) - do it while selecting many vertices, to convert them to 1 average vertex
- Chamfer (under vertex geometry) - makes the vertices retreat on their edges, creating other polies where they were
- Extrude (under face/poly geometry)
- Bevel (face/poly)
With those you can give your box any shape you want, instead of arranging objects, you'll have a single mesh, saving polies, vertices and being a cleaner model.

Level 3
For me it was hard to understand how you create new faces, edges and vertices in random places. I have spent more time and get used to Blender. In Gmax you need to push down (activate) face button in Modify? panel (scrolling down or middle after that in panel) and creating face was selecting in clock-wise or counter-clockwise 3 vertices which turned automatically after that to new face, selecting movement decided will new face is towards your view or away from you ("normal" is vector which is placed).

For me it was hard to understand how you create new faces, edges and vertices in random places. I have spent more time and get used to Blender. In Gmax you need to push down (activate) face button in Modify? panel (scrolling down or middle after that in panel) and creating face was selecting in clock-wise or counter-clockwise 3 vertices which turned automatically after that to new face, selecting movement decided will new face is towards your view or away from you ("normal" is vector which is placed).

I could never actually figure out how to divide up a face or create a face on a specific object (textures either - also every time I tried to import a model it never showed in game) - it could use some upgrades on that part. I just know your model already probably has too many polies to be practical to use in Wc3.

Level 3
I have managed to always import working static (without animations) Gmax model into in-game. It might give loading errors in World Editor, but works in game. I have one tutorial, I send its link via PM to you. It is really strait forward -- import something simple from Gmax to Warcraft 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.