• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first attempt at terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Heres my first attempt to really make terrain look nice. Usually i just mass blizzard trees and cliffs but i think it would be better to spend time learning to make the environments better. So waht do you think of my little forest?

EDIT - I added a second picture of it redone with less rocks and a different sky.

2nd Edit - Added another pic of a forest and some ruins, this time i fixed up the fog effects and tinted non foliage green. Also put in two skeletal models, they kinda take away from the terrain but i thought they looked cool in the temple

EDIT yet again - I'm just going to kep adding pics of my terrain as i finish them.

Attachments

• Forestness2.jpg
    Forestness2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Forestness3.jpg
    Forestness3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 214
  • forest4.jpg
    forest4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Temple001.jpg
    Temple001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 211
  • ulkaineandvillianpose.jpg
    ulkaineandvillianpose.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 170
  • underground1.jpg
    underground1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 180
  • underground2.jpg
    underground2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 168
  • underground3.jpg
    underground3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Beach001.jpg
    Beach001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Beach002.jpg
    Beach002.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Level 8
Very nice, overdid the rocks a bit, though. Also, the sky wasn't too effective, since about 3/4ths of it were black, but that's not that bad. A hill at the back with some type of castle on it or something would finish the whole picture nicely, since it looks a tiny bit weird how the pillars just disappear and go to left and right. Else, really nice.

Level 25
For a first attempt, I think it's safe to say you've done a fairly good job. The fact that everything is so... green, makes me uneasy. And the fog/sky doesn't even blend at all with the terrain either, so the terrain looks worse when the fog and sky doesn't match or blend with the terrain.

But for a first attempt, I'm suprised you made it look pretty good. Keep it up!
~Craka_J

Level 9
Loving the terrain. The second picture really looks good with the sky it makes it look more like day time and the other one made it look like midnight and a little eary. Also simering the amount of rocks down really helped to. Keep practicing and getting better and someday you'll be able to terrain like one of the greats! +rep

Level 9
There still great. The 3rd one looks good same as the 4th one. I like how the aerial view lets you look down at the pillar things (dont remember wut there called). The last one looks good but the unit on the left looks a little strange. It kinda looks like the head was comeing off the body. but maybe thats just how im looking at it. Anyways 2 thumbs up from me. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Yes the head on the unit in the left is floating in the air because its supposed to. I have always had this idea for a single player RPG that uses the same system as HeroRPG (i think its on this sight or wc3campaigns) with that model as the villian. I havnt had time to start it though as im working on a zelda fan game in RPGmaker and a zelda multiplayer map right now. If I ever do start that rpg ill probably use this terrain for it.

Level 9
O I understand now. but still I like the other terrains. I guess I'm not really likeing just the units in the picture maybe if it were zoomed out a bit and there was stuff around them then it might look better. but thats just my opinion

Level 34
Nice first terrain, you owned my first try pretty good! :thumbs_up:

Agree with everyone else,a little green.

Level 6
Yeah looks good for the first try, a good thing is you start with the raise tool instead of blizzard cliffs.

Level 2
Compared to me, this stuff is awesome! If this is not extremely excellent in every single possible way then my stuff is total crud! Not a single map i have played has a better terrain than this, and I play alot of maps... Some fo those pics remind me of Fable

Level 25
The third shot is really ticking me off. You really need to fix it. Everything is different and none of it goes well together! Orange sky, Light Gray fog, Green world? Makes no sense and looks very, very messy and if it isn't too harsh to say, ugly! Change the fog, ease on the green tinting, and maybe choose another sky! It'd look a lot better if you do this...
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.