• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MTG Magus v.1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
----------User who uploaded map Presents----------

Magic the Gathering Battlemage Arena
Created by Blood_Knight

Map Info:

MTG: Magus v1.1

This map was inspired by the orginal Starcraft 1 map; MTG Magus

UMS strategy strategy arena style map. Anyone familiar with Magic the Gathering will catch on very quickly, At this point, it may need some balance and a few other ideas from other mapers to enhance and/or balance game play.

The pace of the map is now faster and should push the action.

***UPDATE v.1.1***

The index and tutorials have been simplified and I have added some color for some of the text. I have also added an option to hide/show player timers at their own discretion. I have added to the terrain a bit, although it will need more work I am sure

If your new to the map, you can review the index at anytime, and over and over if necessary. At anytme just type: -index

Features:

Magic the Gathering consists of 5 primary colors; White, Blue, Black, Red, Green.

Each color has its own unique attributes and effects. White is the color of holy law and grace. Blue is the color for illusions, and wisdom. Black is the color for death, and ambition. Red is the color for fire, and courage. Green is the color for life, and creation.

***Spell Book***
The Spell Casting System is designed to create a unique strategy for game play. Although I have already included many in game tutorials, I will also explain it here. In order to use a spell your Urza (bloodmage hero) must be standing on the circle of power near the spell book. Once a players spell book is open, the player will be notified. At this point you will see many icons within the book describing each of that colours spells. You will notice the most upper left icon is an instructions icon. It will briefly explain how to use a spell, and also remind you that spell casting can only occur if the book is active, and clicking on the icons will just render the book useless and force you to reactivate the circle of power to re-open book. To cast a spell, you will have to type it out:

Example: -lightning bolt

This system forces precision, and will also force players to choose when, or when not to send their primary Urza to assist with battle or stay back at home base in order to use a spell for assistance instead. Different strategy will surface according to the player. Although their is one artifact that bypasses this rule and allows the spell book to always be open

***Summoning Building***
The summoning structure like the spell book also has a nearby circle of power which will require your Urza unit to activate in order to summon units. Once a players summoning structure is open, the player will be notified. Each summoning structure (depedning on the colour) has a full complete list of 11 different summons each. Each color has a list of weak to powerful creatures. This is very straight forward just like a barracks.

***Spyscope***
This is an ordinary structure that allows a player to reveal an area (also revealing invisibles) for 30 seconds. This structure is rather important, at this point the maps true sight is very limited. If this structure is destroyed, it can not be replaced. A player that likes windwalking units, may utilize this strategy to sneak up on another battlemage after destroying this vital component of an enemy players base.

***Enchantment Book***
Very similar to the Spell Book. You will also need to activate this by using the nearby circle of power. It will notify the player once open. You will have to also type on the enchantment name to cast it. Enchantments are a special structure that will appear near the entrance of a players base, and they will amplify some sort of effect on a continuous basis. Each player can only have 1 active enchantment at any point and time. If a player casts an enchantment while another is in play, the old one will be removed, and its effects as well. At this point each color has only 5 enchantments, I may add more at later point and time, although they are very powerful already and will play an important part to strategy. I am open to suggestions for more enchantments considering the book has room for 5-6 more each.

***Planeswalker Altar***
Like any ordinary hero altar. Planeswalkers are all heroes with unique abilities. They are very powerful, and if given the opportunity to level up, they will easily rival another Urza battlemage. Although they are quite expensive.

***Incubator***
This is a very vital component to each players base. This structure will activate after 3 mins of game time. This structure will add resources every 5 secs of game time. It is also a shop for basic items; healing, mana, reveal. If this structure is destroyed, it will severly cripple that battlemage. Important part of strategy

***Artifacts***
At the top right area of the map you will find the artifact section. There are 16 different artifacts, each available to every player regardless of the color you choose to play. An artifact is a structure and when one is summoned it will appear outside near the middle, just infront of the owners home base. A player can only control 1 artifact at anytime. Artifacts are a little bit more difficult to defend because they exist in the hot zone, where a lot of player spells can easily affect the units that may linger around them. Artifacts have powerful static effects. Ranging from depleting other players resources, to slowing enemy units, adding to your resources, and many other misc effects. I would advise you to become very familiar with what they all do, and the info can be read at anytime by typing: -artifacts

***Artifact Creatures***
Just below the top left starting point of the map you will find the artifact creatures section. Similar to artifacts, each player has access to these units at anytime. If a player summons one of these units, it will appear in their summoning area inside their respective home base. Artifacts are a bit more expensive then standard summons, although they will play a different kind of strategy when used.

Author's notes:

The Objective is to destroy the other Urza Battlemages. If your Urza is killed... well you will figure out pretty quickly that your a$$ is dust. Don't fret there are many options, and different angles of strategy to playing this map. You may have to run this map a few times to learn everything that is available... there is a lot!!! If you are not familiar with the MTG world... it really doesn't matter. This map is designed to test strategy and come with combos to defeat your enemy players. I have created all of the components, but I am yet to find out the effective combos that each color may have access too. I need any and all feedback that any testers are willing to provide to help assist me to properly balance this battlefield.

Trigger notes, bugs, leaks...

I believe I have 95% - 99% covered and there shoudn't be any problems. But this is my first big project in the War 3 editor and I could be horribly wrong. If you come across issues, again let me know so I can fix them. The map is protected at this point, it took far too much time to put this together, although I am willing to share the unprotected version with other mappers that are interested in helping to improve this map.

Credits:

Models: callahan, bloody turds, pyramidhe@d, Ampharos_222, Kuhneghetz, HappyTauren, Cavman, Tranquil, Forgotten_Warlord, Pyritie, donut3.5, Wraithling, Tarrasque, eXciTe, EziKieIth, shockwave, Dionesiist, Mc !, frankster, ironmaiden, Stanakin Skywalker, RED BARON, May Shadow, sPy, Champara Bros, Shamanyouranus, JetFangInferno

Icons: CRAZYRUSSIAN, WILL THE ALMIGHTY, dionesiist, 67chrome, Discipline, 4eNNightmare, Mr.Goblin, Stanakin Skywalker, HappyTauren, antihero, Marcos DAB, NFWar, Tarrasque, ExN, bigapple90, Destructor [DoR], PeeKay, Elainiel, viiva, MC !, Anachron, War_Golum, Devine, CloudWolf, KelThuzad, Palaslayer, Orthon, -Stygian-, frIkY, The_Silent, freezer, Hellx-Magnus, Golden-Drake, Dmazzz, Big Dub, ZolfKimbley.BG, Kola, 0123456789, OgeRfaCes, Blizzard Entertainment

Attachments: Sunchips, paladinjst, Pretor, Usedwell, Thrikodious, Truth Troll UA

Peace,

Enjoy

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
arena, strategy, mtg, magic, magic the gathering, red, black, blue, white, green
Contents

MTG Magus v.1.1 (Map)

Reviews
Date: 2011/Oct/07 17:24:03 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Rejected Rating: 1/5 Unacceptable Rep Received: 0Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out...

M

hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/07 17:24:03
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rating: 1/5 Unacceptable
Rep Received: 0
Reasons:
Other:
Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: The terrain is really lacking, there are shrubs on undead tile, it's really empty, too many random effects, not a lot of height variation (no cliffs).
Hide the spell cooldown timer when it's finished.
Add a quest log with the credits, objective, tips.
'Attack Speed Aura' has an active icon, not a passive one.
Heroes have no custom spells, just old boring warcraft ones.
Colorize the in-game text, there's too much text at once and it's not so well to read it.

Level 5
I am struggling with this description template and will have to look at it later when I have more time. I do not use JASS as of yet, not sure if I will. At this point and time I am simply looking for testers to run it a few times, get some feedback, and figure out if I should spend more time enhancing this map or not. I really do not have the time to become an avid mapper, although if anyone wants to help out, enhance triggers, enhance the gameplay with their unique ideas I would very much so appreciate it. Even back in the days of Starcraft 1 MTG Magus, that map underwent about 70 - 90 modifications before it found a nice pace and balance. So I am completely open for the help, and/or if anyone other skilled mapper would like to jump on to polish this up.