• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQEditor & WoW 5.4.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm stumped on how to patch the .dbc files into the game. On my 3.3.5 client all I had to do was open the last numbered patch then drag and drop the modded ones into the folder that contains them. In the MoP version though there are several update mpqs (i.e wow-update-base-17898) and these have dbc folders but they are always in read-only mode even when that particular option is not checked. Am I missing something with how the hierarchy works and just need to create a new mpq? Or am I just plain doing something wrong here. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Pardon me if this is not helpful to you, but I wanted to note: the Warcraft Legends RPS game engine project being developed in the year 1999-2000 split into two separate game releases. First Warcraft III in 2003, then later the World of Warcraft in 2005. These two game engine systems did start as forks of the same project in their early days, but by the time the .dbc format was introduced the codebase of these games had become hugely different.

In my personal experience Hive Workshop excels primarily at modding the 2003 fork of "Warcraft Legends" project -- the one known as "Warcraft 3" -- rather than modding the 2005 fork of "Warcraft Legends" project that became known as "World of Warcraft".

So what I'm saying is that while you're not wrong that the title of this forum section group is "Warcraft Editing Tools," I actually suspect you might get a lot of responses from people who have no idea what you're talking about. You might get better results on a website dedicated to focusing on efforts to mod the game title called "World of Warcraft".

On the flipside, users here on the Hive may have dabbled in WoW modding in the past. It's not impossible somebody replies after me who knows the answer to your question -- I'm just doubting it is all. It wouldn't necessarily hurt if WoW developers and Warcraft III developers communicated more. In these two game programs, the MDX format was version 800 in 2003 for the "Warcraft III" title, upgraded to version 1000 and later up to 1500 in the "World of Warcraft" title before getting replaced by .m2 format (stands for MDX2 I believe), then in a patch in 2019 for the "Warcraft III" the developers starting including version 900 and version 1000 models again as a new count upward from 800 because they forgot the history of the version 1000 files from the 2005 "World of Warcraft" project. So, now the format is a clustertruck of confusion for programmers because if your MDX parser sees a version 1000 file then it MIGHT be a 2005 WoW file, or it MIGHT be a 2019 Warcraft III file. And these are not actually formatted completely the same, but they use the same binary header and version number because they split off from the same original format. The two splits happened 15 years apart. The WoW version used the new tags BIDX and BWGT to store what the 2019 split off tags as SKIN. It's almost a shame the 2019 version did not use the WoW format, but based on the Classic WoW developer seminars I assume the guys in 2005 probably did not even save a copy of how that split off of the original MDX parser worked.

So anyway that was a bit of a tengent of how maybe it's good to have people from our different areas of understanding communicate. But I just wanted to warn you people on this site might not know what you ask, and if not and if nobody else more knowledgeable replies to you then I think you should not get discouraged. Because actually people on Earth somewhere might know, but it was just not the main focus of people on this particular website to know.

Last edited:
Level 1
Ah I see. Thank you for the response and I will try your suggestions, I have just never been so stuck without being able to figure these things out that I wasn't sure how to go about finding where to go but thankfully there are still good people such as yourself that provide good information. I am glad the modding and server communities are still active, maybe I will get into W3 one day and come back here.

But anyway thanks and cheers mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.