• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Moving a centre of map - IMPORTANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Good afternoon guys, i really, really need your help.
I made a map and i basicaly finished it. It is huge (about 30 000 doodads) but i need to expand it in one way (north). Sadly i can expand in other ways (sauth, west, east) but the map says that it has reached its limit for that way. Is there, pretty, pretty please any way to move a centre, or to allow map to expand in that way (north), instead of the other (sauth).
I really need your advice, because otherwise i will have to move thousands upon thousands of customly elevated doodads, units etc.

Level 7
This is my problem.
upload_2021-3-5_15-15-53.png

I need to remove the water part and expand to the north. But the map says i reached max distance.

Level 6
almost all the things you place in the WE - terrain, units, doodads, etc - have a location. this position is relative to the center of the map [0, 0], and relies on the center not moving. you won't be able to move the center using the map size and camera bounds UI because its been designed to not do that for this reason

what you're looking for is something that lets you move all data in your map that has a location a certain distance in any direction (down for you). essentially the tool would do exactly what you'll need to do manually in the editor

i dont think there's a tool that does what you want, but i'm not familiar with this

Level 7
what happens if you subtract the desired amount of space from south that you wanna add to north? Maybe you're using all that space down there but it doesn't look that way.

The editor does not allow me to even click on the arrow button. I woudl loev to get rid of the water, but i cant.

almost all the things you place in the WE - terrain, units, doodads, etc - have a location. this position is relative to the center of the map [0, 0], and relies on the center not moving. you won't be able to move the center using the map size and camera bounds UI because its been designed to not do that for this reason

what you're looking for is something that lets you move all data in your map that has a location a certain distance in any direction (down for you). essentially the tool would do exactly what you'll need to do manually in the editor

i dont think there's a tool that does what you want, but i'm not familiar with this

Wow, that is way above my league. Can you recommend me who or where to ask?

Level 6
lol yeah, probably not an easy lift. i dont have any leads besides giving you more specifics on what you're looking for, sorry

i think your maps setup might work to your advantage to just use the WE though. the water area at the bottom is easy to work with because its essentially a big rectangle of empty space thats almost 1/3 the height of your map if you cut off nearly all the water. this will let you sorta shimmy your middle section down to the bottom and then the top down over the middle. what id do is backup your map (backup everytime anything goes well during this) then

bulk copy&paste approx the middle third of your map. youll lose a lot of water, mb more than you wanted to lose, but if you do less than a 1/3 you'll have to repeat this process more times, which will get progressively harder to line up. id copy&paste terrain and doodads over first and then move units, regions and cameras over after. id try to move content over in horizontal strips that cover the full width of your map, rather than sized based on the stuff in your map, to try to keep alignment a little easier

repeat the same process as above to move the top third into the middle.

clean up the seams for terrain & doodads, and make sure no units, regions or cameras were left behind (which might sound easy but will probably be a lot of testing) and you should be good to go, lots of room at the top

alternatively, you could save your map as a folder rather than w3x and poke around some of the files to get a feel for what would be involved to do it behind the scenes. going this route would really need some sort of automation so i wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable with that

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Make sure you enable "modify map bounds" when using the Map Properties window otherwise it tries to modify the border.

You could try hex editing the terrain w3e file that determines the map size and the map origin point. I never tried it, but you might be able to move the origin to be off-centre and hence retain the current object placement data. How World Editor, or even Warcraft III itself, will cope with this I am not sure.

Level 13
Here's a pretty ugly and janky hotfix, but it's an idea anyway. Make two regions all along the top and bottom of your map, and any unit that enters teleports to the other side like it's a self contained globe in the north-south direction.

Let me know if you need tips on how to execute that, would take 5 mins in GUI but it's not the most intuitive solution for players maybe. Regular pathing orders issued won't acknowledge that the teleport's there of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.