• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monthly paying in SC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
hi,

ok this is simple, i just want to know how u think about it and what
your statement is.

As we know u have to pay for WoW like 13 euro to be able to play
for a month, this leads to nearly 100% save against Product Stealing
simply because DL the Software brings u nothing.
PLUS!!! They get a colossal MONEY boost:
Just think about D2, u pay only once some money, lets say 30-40 euro
this multiplied with the amount of people buying it and u get some nice
money.
And now WoW, u pay every month 13 euro, again and again and again.
No chance to get is cheaper, no chance to "steal" the product nor to
avoid the payment. Otherweise no Game to play.

After the 3rd month they have sold the game for a regular price and still
keep getting money. Just think someone plays WoW for 2,5 years :slp:.

Mb i would have started play WoW, but the payment was somthing that
prevented me, im not realy in somthing like paying every month 13 euro for
a game.

This would be a Reason i would most probably not even touch SC2.
I just can hope that this will only stay true for MMORPG's and not become
a standart solution and way to sell new games.

Level 6
The only reason they have monthly fees for WoW is not to prevent "product stealing" or "pirates"(well, part of it is, but that's not the main reason) but to:
1. Pay for the server. The server costs are MUCH MUCH more expensive than servers for starcraft, warcraft 3, etc. With Starcraft and Warcraft 3, the banner advertisements pay for battle.net servers.

Since games like SC, WC3, D2, etc are host/client where the host is the player, that means less bandwidth requirements and less cost for blizzard because battle.net is mainly for finding games and not really hosting the games, the players host the games.

With WoW, Blizzard's server is the host for all players, which means that it'll be more expensive.

2. It's a MMORPG, of course there is a monthly fee. It requires much more maintenance, updates, patches, new features, than other games.

3. Most MMORPGs have always been pay-to-play, it's nothing new and there are tons of people that'll pay-to-play MMORPGs(but for real-time-strategy games like Starcraft 2, I don't think so).

They won't add a monthly fee to play Starcraft 2 online because:
1. It's an RTS. Blizzard is not that greedy and they know that adding a monthly fee to an RTS is a bad idea.

They know monthly fee = less customers = less players(and less map developers) = which means people who are paying for the monthly fee will probably stop because there will be a lot less players playing and less maps for them to play.

That leads to less money for blizzard and less customers for blizzard's future products.

Of course, that's all just in theory but you get the point, a lot of people aren't willing to pay-to-play games like SC2. Just ask random people you see on battle.net if they're willing to pay monthly fee.

2. The players themselves host(act as a server) the games on battle.net, not blizzard, that means it won't cost them too much money.
The banner ads pay for the battle.net server mainly. This is the main reason, if blizzard makes it pay-to-play even though players themselves host the games, blizzard will get a lot of bad publicity and be labeled as just plain greedy.

Also, they even said in an interview they weren't doing it:

1UP: Speaking of the WOW experience, other action-RPG games have attempted a subscription model of sorts, can you talk at all about that for Diablo III?

RP: Well, ultimately, we'll decide on the final business model of the game in the future, but I don't think you're going to see a subscription model in the realm of WOW. It's a boxed product game, it will be more similar to say, the Diablo II or the StarCraft II model.

Source

Level 8
ah, beside this
Of course, that's all just in theory but you get the point, a lot of people aren't willing to pay-to-play games like SC2. Just ask random people you see on battle.net if they're willing to pay monthly fee.

when u ask someone the answer will like always be "...ehm no i would want not to pay..."

However it looks good, and is well explained. we can just hope for the best
but still, it is nothing decided. I remember a "Gamestar" interview, unfortanlty i
cant give u a source right now. It was about : As Gamestar asked if u have to
pay monthly blizzard gave no comment on this.
As soon as i find the link again, i will post it.

greets Equal

Level 17
If they would put a monthly fee I would not even dare looking at the game.
But there is a 99.99999% chance there wont be a fee.
And even if they put a monthly fee on it people will hack the game making it possible to play for free.

(Like WoW private servers, you can play on a server made by a player for free.
Well sometimes I once was on a private server where you had to pay aswell... for bonuses that is though xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.