• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modern War v2.08

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Hugomath
Description
A 4v4 altered melee Modern Warfare map. You can play it with friends or AIs. (The AI only works in the Player 5 slot.)

You can build a Barracks to train a variety of troops, you can build a vehicle factory to build some tanks and vehicles, and you can build a Helipad to build aircraft. There are also some defenses and a Tech Center you can build to improve your base.

The main town-hall type building is the Base of Operations. It can upgrade into a Futuristic Base of Operations to improve all of your buildings and enable certain researches.
Units
Robot Marine: An upgraded version of the regular Marine, does not take food. The Upgrade available when you have the Futuristic Base of Operations.

M2 Bradley IFV: A weak and light scout vehicle. Can transport 2 units.

Dreadnought H: A large and powerful mech equipped with a machine gun, but is also capable of melee attacking enemies should they get too close for comfort.

Bazooka Trooper: Your anti-tank soldier. Highly effective versus tanks, mechs, and buildings.

Castle Bot: By far, the strongest and largest unit in the game. Is built from the Tech Center after you have a Futuristic Base of Operations.

Engineer: The basic worker unit. Is actually armed with a machine gun, but don't expect him to win any battles for you.

and more...
Screenshots

(These screenshots are old and from a much later version of the map.)

Were Watching
200270-albums4183-picture39480.jpg

Huh, what's that?
200270-albums4183-picture39481.jpg

Eyes in the Sky
200270-albums4183-picture39482.jpg

Never Wander Around Alone
200270-albums4183-picture39483.jpg

Where Do You Think Your Going?
200270-albums4183-picture39484.jpg

None yet!

v1.00
-Map uploaded
-Screenshots included

v1.03
-Removed the "You will be revealed to your opponents if you don't build a Town Hall." message
-Increased the Castle Bot's range from 200 to 800
-Fixed the Scientist's animations

v1.04
-Added some "creeps" to the map

v1.05
-Map now includes AI if Player 2 is not in game

v1.10
-The Futuristic Base of Operations is now an appropriate size
-Fixed the a message that appeared when you used the Scientist's invest ability, it takes 5 minutes for the research, not 2 minutes
-Made the Scientist's invest ability no longer available after you've made all the investments you can make (There were only 2.)
-Fixed the "You will be revealed to your opponents if you don't build a Town Hall." message (This time I know it's fixed.)
-Changed the Hero's lumber cost from 100 to 150

v1.19
-Vehicle Factory is slightly smaller
-Dreadnought H (when in Machine Gun mode) now has 600 range instead of only 500 range
-Dreadnought H is now slightly weaker when in melee attack mode
-Dreadnought C is now slightly stronger
-Marines and Robot Marines attack speed has been doubled
-BMP-3's now fire Toxin Shells when they get the Toxin Shells research
-Raptors can no longer cast "Slam" while in the air
-"Scroll of Town Portal" is now "Disposable Teleportation Device"
-The Time Bomb ability for the Marine Commando now works properly and no longer explodes instantly, is now more powerful, no longer is a homing missle, has reduced movement speed, and a missle arc

v1.21
-Black Hawk is now smaller
-"robotic" units are now mechanical

v1.23
-Increased the mana cost of the request air support ability for the Commando Hero to 200 (It was 150.)
-Fixed the air support ability, it used to spawn a Cobra at the enemy's base

v1.25
-Added to the variety of creeps
-Improved the Ion Cannon

v1.26
-Fixed the Castle Bot's projectile for his "Cluster Cannon" ability.

v1.27
-Changed the way the Ghoul Hunter creep dies. His corpse is now removed after death.

v2.00
-Completely new terrain by Hugomath

v2.03
-new AI that works by Ironman47
-leaks fixed by Ironman47
-Creeps added, again

v2.05
-improved the AI
-added Victory Condition
-Removed the lumber repair cost from both Dreadnoughts

v2.08
-added disabled buttons (DISBTN)
-made starting units get removed if the player is not in the game

Credits

Terrain by Blizzard Entertainment.
Terrain by Hugomath.
Leaks fixed by Ironman47.
AI by Ironman47.
Models for buildings by Kofi_Banan, Mr. Bob, and SataX.
Models for Barracks units by cavman, rober artua, and Epsilon.
Scientist's model by jk2pach.
Models for Vehicle Factory units by Illidan(Evil)X and PyramidHe@d.
Models for Heliport units by Illidan(Evil)X and Kofi_Banan.
Ion Cannon Beam by Illidan(Evil)X.
Marine Commando's model by qassamzed.
Castle Bot's model by anarachianbedlam.

I have a lot imported files in this map, but you always need some kind of credits. If you realized I missed someone, please let me know so I can add them to the credits list, but I'm about 90% sure I got everyone.

Keywords:
Modern, War, Slayer14, Slayer, Hugomath, Ironman47, Ironman, Warfare, 8 Player, Mountain, Snow, Tank, Battle
Contents

Modern War v2.08 (Map)

Reviews
09:09, 19th Jul 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected Comment
Level 3
a tank with blink ~~

the sniper team looks buggy

the medieval and futuristic styles do not match,like the "castle" (project odin),on a futuristic game,theres no sense

try to find better icons,marines with villager icon, that marine comando with rifleman icon, barracks with arcane sanctum icon, looks crap ~~

Last edited:
Level 1
Kl3sk Reviews : Modern War
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version : 2.8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Type : Altered Melee * (theoretically...)

Description : (4/5)

A fairly decent Description over what seems to be a promising map! It gives the would-be player a good idea of what he'll be downloading , providing them with a fair amount of information to pretty much know what to do in-game from the get-go.

In-Game Review

Terrain

This is just...unacceptable. I've tried using any other word, but that's the first thing that pops to mind. There's no excuse to this type of terrain, other than no-good lazy-ass / lousy terraining. All I can say is : those screen-shots lied to me! IT'S A TRAP! (0/5)

Models

Structures I've never seen before, interesting skins / models for certain normal W3 units (troops) and nice vehicle model(s) that include armored vehicles, tanks and so forth. Meh, not exactly to my tastes, but at least the helicopter animation doesn't "get stuck" in mid-air like in most other maps of this type that I happened to play. (3/5)

Icons

Bollocks! I mean...awesome icons ya got there ma...nah, I can't do this, can't lie to the man : WHAT THE F*** ?! Not only are there no custom icons whatsoever, but this map uses the same icon for either skills, upgrades, attack buffs... lolwut ? (0/5)

Skills

It's an Altered Melee, so there's not much to say, right ? Well, out of the very few abilities available to use via upgrades and whatnot, this map has this thing called an "Ion Cannon" provided by a "Tech Center". I find it visually amazing and it has an awesome sound effect once launched...however : Visually compelling as it may be, it is virtually useless on the battlefield, literally dealing no damage or has any other special effect and leaving the player with a bitter "why did I even try this map anyway" taste in his mouth. Oh but you'll get used to disappointment after a few minutes in-game, no threat! (0/5)

Misc

The "Tech Center" I mentioned earlier is supposed to give the building (that has its own mana pool) ONE mana per 500 gold, once you exchange that currency for energy. You would later use the mana to activate the "Ion Cannon". This, in reality, does not happen. You end up wasting 500 gold every single time and there's no way to get your money back. Glitchy-buggy are we ? Other little things I've noticed, but mentioned before is the lack of custom icons and cluster-f*cking the same icon for 2697 million other units and upgrades, which I did not appreciate. (0/5)

Game-Play

I swear, I'm keeping in all the nasty words I'd normally say if not for trying to keep the review look slightly mature and unbiased, but what...the f*ck...did I just play ? A mash-up of futuristic and random W3 style units in a crappy environment (or better said NO environment) with the most buggy skill I've see so far. It's like you rushed this map so bad, you forgot it was eventually going to be PLAYED! There's just no describing it. It's like getting naked , grabbing a green sock and arriving at the Annual Down Syndrome Convention trying to convince little kids you're Kermit the Frog. YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT! (0/5)

Long story short :

Do I recommend altered-melee fans to play this ? : No (only if they're masochists)

Do I recommend non-altered-melee fans to play this : No (Dear God no)

Will I play this map again : No (I'll cry tears of fire if I'll have to play it again in this life-span)

Final verdict : Rejected! I'm not even considering a rating.

Word of advice to the author : Don't just screw around with the W3 Editor. It's nice you've imported some wonderful models and interesting spells, but try to make them work next time. As for the visual aspect of it : hire a terrainer. This is obviously out of your league.

Foot-note* : WHY GOD, WHY ?!