• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moderation System & Upcoming Grid View

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
frontpagebannerupdatesandchanges-png.423741

Greetings community!
We are thrilled to announce the upcoming addition of a highly requested feature to our resource database - the Grid View! This new feature will allow users to easily browse and discover resources in rich and visually appealing manner. We hope this update will enhance your experience on our website and we can't wait for you to try it out. We look forward to hear your feedback.

We are also announcing the implementation of a new moderation system. As demonstrated below you can see that we've separated the moderation system into two groups: Moderator Rating and Moderation Status.

authors-note-png.373439

av.jpg

You may be asking "Why do we need this?" and the answer is complicated. The resource sections have two kinds of visitors: the modder and the artist. The modder is on the look out for resources and more often than not they would rather have more choice and be the judge of what they don't want to see. I invision they will often tick all the boxes in "Rating" to see everything from "lacking" to "director's cut". Meanwhile the artist cares a lot about quality and filtering. I've met many artists who care deeply about quality of peer resources compared to their own. They don't want to see resources lacking in quality next to their stuff while the modder would very much like to see as much as possible. Not every resource has to be insanely great. Sometime all you need is a doodad for standing in the background needing zero interaction, animation or detail. But from my experience we need to distinguish between excellent and simple things to keep the artists satisfied while giving as much choice as possible to the modder.

Now. The skeptical modder is sitting here thinking "Gosh, Ralle, more checkboxes to tick every time?" and the answer is yes. But one thing I plan to release with the grid view is the ability to make persistent filters per section. So if you always look at icons in grid view, it will stay that way. If you always look at all ratings in models, it will stay that way. When this comes out, I also plan to make useful / simple ticked by default.
upper-quotes-png.375983

~ Ralle

Moderator Rating (1-5)
Similar to User Star Ratings (1-5), the Moderator Rating system is designed to recognize and award the most creative and talented artists, map makers, programmers etc. The introduction of this new rating system is expected to benefit both creators and users. Users will be able to find high quality assets based on a qualified moderator assessment of resources, while creators will get the recognition they deserve for sharing their creations with Warcraft III community.

previewmod1.png

Notice that High Quality ratings will be given out gradually to new and re-moderated assets.

Moderation Status:

These states indicate whether or not a resource is approved (working ingame), pending review, awaiting update or rejected.

previewmod2.png

This is just the beginning of 2023. We have many other great things in the works that we can't wait to share with all of you. We want to thank our community for their continued support and feedback. We are committed to continue to improve and evolve our website to make it the best it can be for our users, so stay tuned for more exciting updates in the near future.

If you want to support our site and it's ongoing development and maintenance, please consider joining Hive's Heroes!

Special thanks to all our Heroes! You help keep the Hive alive! ❤#HiveFive

@A]mun, @Bribe, @Daliox1, @Eikonium, @Falasae, @Footman16, @Gismo359, @Gyrosphinx, @Harynar, @InsaneMonster, @Kam, @Kick King, @King I Rat, @Kuzakani, @Lich Prince, @Maynard, @Med. MapGuy, @MindWorX, @mori, @NiGlOo-ShOoTeR, @Nihilism_Is_Death, @rangger16, @Ravenwood Skye, @Retera, @Skopetski, @Tauer, @ThompZon, @tulee, @Xthreo

Last edited:
Level 17
This is pretty good, ive pondered alot over the ratings and reviewing process of Hive for a long time. And i ended up reaching a "checkpoint" that the rating system wasn't exactly bad, and now its better. My issue was with the already given ratings.

Though for now that's all i'll say on the matter, i think there is a better time for me to discuss this indepth later.

Level 10
I'm looking forward to the Grid View! I think it would look good on 16:9(+) screens. On to the moderator status, I think it's an easy and quick way to know the map status by simply looking at the icons and not having to scroll down untill you find the Moderator's comment.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
How about older resources? Are you gonna re-moderate them one by one? That would be impossible.
The reviewers have been told to start reviewing things HQ as needed. For the most part things will stay with what they have.

Keep in mind that we made the following upon upgrading:

Anything approved got the rating recommended.
Anything useful simple got approved with the rating useful / simple.
Anything director's cut got approved with the rating director's cut.

So it's only lacking and high quality that is not much in use yet. But people are moving on it. So that's good.

Level 31
I have a sincere question.
Are HQ resources has a chance to be DC in the future?
I was looking at skin section and gotta say, that's some well deserved one to be HQ and see Sharkarsh's Draconic Harpy definitely melt my heart there.
And then think to myself: "Damn, this one might as well be DC because I think you will never find a better Harpy skin then this, chef kiss <3"

I believe moderators should check again their ratings, since High Quality is new and many great stuff deserve it instead of Recommended. 😀
The Hive has tons of resources and moderators are volunteers so the remoderation of resources simply takes time and is a gradual process :)