• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling attatchments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, i was kind of looking for a little guide on how to make your own attatchment based on an existing model from wc3.
i have currently been working on a model in wich i have removed all geosets apart from the one i want, using vertex modify. But then i noticed it still had all of its animations left! And alas, the filesize was just about as big as the original model.
I found that the model still had all its bones left, propably even for the geosets that i had removed.
I removed all texture paths that were not in use, but i dont dare to touch any bones (i have necrophobia, you know) so how do i strip down the model to be just that single unanimated geoset? Should i simply extract the geoset into a empty model file, and how do i do that?

EDIT: Btw, i already fixed the attatchment point too, it's kind of set, but i cant check yet due to my model not being operational yet.

well heres what you do, you open it in war3modeleditor, go to windows/geosetmanager, hold ctrl and click the part you want (it should flash) make sure you click the right one, thats the geoset you need, export it, go to filenew then go to windows/nodemanager creat a new bone, name it. go to windows texturemanager, find your texture, import it.. (or use textures, via windows/mpqbrowser) then go to window materialmanager, creat a new material layer, then go to windows/geosetmanager and import your geoset, pick the bone, then once its imported click it and choose your material layer... it should be there

NOTE: make sure to use the same texture as the wep b4 or itl be off prolly... and in some cases the material should be 2 sided, and/or transparent/blend/addative (which u edit in the material)

now if theres any parts of it u dont like, save it as a .mdl then remove the parts in vertex mod :p save, load in war3 and reconvert

Level 4
No problem!
Figured it out by myself, i just removed all the bones and events and then added one to attatch the geoset to. Very simple.
Still, since my animRemove (by oinkertools) dont seem to work, i could use some help on removing animations.

Level 4
well heres what you do, you open it in war3modeleditor, go to windows/geosetmanager, hold ctrl and click the part you want (it should flash) make sure you click the right one, thats the geoset you need, export it, go to filenew then go to windows/nodemanager creat a new bone, name it. go to windows texturemanager, find your texture, import it.. (or use textures, via windows/mpqbrowser) then go to window materialmanager, creat a new material layer, then go to windows/geosetmanager and import your geoset, pick the bone, then once its imported click it and choose your material layer... it should be there

NOTE: make sure to use the same texture as the wep b4 or itl be off prolly... and in some cases the material should be 2 sided, and/or transparent/blend/addative (which u edit in the material)

now if theres any parts of it u dont like, save it as a .mdl then remove the parts in vertex mod :p save, load in war3 and reconvert

Thanks, i didn't know about that ctrl-flash function, i used to try my luck and remove a random geoset and se what that does. ;)
Most of the rest i managed to figure out by myself, except the animation part i just mentioned, but +rep anyway.

Level 4
well if u removed the bones, the anims themselfs are essentially removed :p, but u can go to windows/animationmanager and remove em that way

That will only remove the animation tag, not the animation. But yes, if the bones are gone so is the animation. Though, in one of my more recent models i also have a stand animation, still, i kind of fixed it. I think. I removed pretty much the whole "anim" category with notepad and changed number to 1, yet i beilibe this is pretty much just like removing the anim tag with magos.

Status
Not open for further replies.