• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{Modeling problem}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have a small question to ask. If anybody is well experienced in modelling:
How do I get a correct working .mdl?
I've made the model on blender and got it to export correctly and (As well as the texture) to be loaded in Magos Model Editor. (I see the texture on the model. Still a cube as of now just to get the hang of it, but once it works I'll get into better modeling as I don't want to waste time doing a model that might not work as intended, But as of now it imports well in the model editor)

So, in resume:
How do I get the .mdl/.mdx not to be corrupted or if it's not corrupted, how do I get the model to actually load without the "Could not load test/text.mdl" error. (Yes I reopened the editor, I also tried closing the map and reopening it directly from the editor (which does the same as closing/reopening the editor completely.))

The steps I did so far:
1. Make the model and export it as a ms3d.
2. Import it in the model editor.
3. Change the material's and texture's properties to use the intended texture.
4. Save as a .mdl
5. Change a line in the .mdl to use the test/test.blp (tried with .tga as well.)
6. Import the .mdl (I also converted it using the .mdl converter and also by exporting it from magos model editor) and .blp (tried the .tga as well) on the warcraft 3 editor (tried on JASS as well.)
7. Change the peasant model to the new .mdl/.mdx

And with that I get only a checker-boarded cube, but the icon will change without a problem if I try to use the .blp as the unit icon. (Which proves that only the .mdl/mdx is wrong somewhere in the export/import process.)

Last edited:
Level 5
Sorry for that, I did not think the model would be needed.

Here they are, hopefully they work. (I can't upload the ms3d file as they are not supported by the file uploader.)

As for the sanity test I'll definitely check it out.

Attachments

• Lbp_watertexture.blp
    50.1 KB · Views: 46
  • test.mdl
    6.5 KB · Views: 53
  • test.mdx
    3.3 KB · Views: 57
Level 29
The model has no bones, and vertices have to be attached to bones, so make one in Magos and attach everything to it.
In addition, there is only one animation called "Unnamed". I don't know what you're going to use the model for (unit, building, sfx, etc.), but generally it should have at the very least Stand and Death.

Level 5
The model has no bones, and vertices have to be attached to bones, so make one in Magos and attach everything to it.
In addition, there is only one animation called "Unnamed". I don't know what you're going to use the model for (unit, building, sfx, etc.), but generally it should have at the very least Stand and Death.
I didn't add animations yet since I was only trying to get it to load, but I should probably do a stand and death animation.
As for the bones I didn't think it would be needed, but I guess I was wrong there. I will try to add bones and animations and see if it works.
Thanks a lot for the quick answers ^^.
(I'll reply back here if it doesn't work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.