• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

modeling contest #25 theme poll

which themes would you like to be hosted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the next modeling contest will begin shortly, and you, modeller, shall vote for the themes you would like to participate.

1 - Hero-ifying an Unit:

Pick any non-hero unit and make a hero version of it. Contestants can choose any unit from anywhere in Melee TFT (i.e. not just the existing four melee factions, but any creep unit or what-not).

2 - Dualism:

A contestant will create a hero/none-hero unit having two identities (Alternate Form). Examples: Weak-Strong, Funny-Serious, fast-slow, etc.

VOTE WHETHER FOR ONE OF THEM, OR FOR BOTH, IF YOU'D LIKE EITHER TO BE HOSTED. (or complain below in a post if you dislike both, although it will have no effect :D)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Oh whoops, then I should've voted for both (I honestly think both are cool).

Also, aren't you forgetting Peekay's "Alternate Hero per Skillset" (working title) contest suggestion? I really liked that.

//EDIT - I suppose I shouldn't have voted at all, since I won't be modelling in either, technically. :<

Oh whoops, then I should've voted for both (I honestly think both are cool).

Also, aren't you forgetting Peekay's "Alternate Hero per Skillset" (working title) contest suggestion? I really liked that.

//EDIT - I suppose I shouldn't have voted at all, since I won't be modelling in either, technically. :<
i thought about including it, and that's the one i liked the most. but i thought it was simpler to decide between those two, since everyone is talking about only them on that thread. we can queue the skillset swap theme to the next compo and hope Peekay doesn't mind...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
HappyCockroach said:
i'm going camping for 2 weeks now so out of the internets. someone take the initiative to host the most voted theme immediately, put up a thread with all that fancy colors and sparkles and whatnot

i guess i'll put together some entry to this contest once i'm back.
eubz said:
Please, host Hero-ifying an Unit so we can join.
Like I said in the thread, I am in the midst of drafting up the Contest thing ("fancy sparkles & whatnot" :p). Just waiting for word from Anarchianbedlam & Deolrin, and then perhaps we can get this started.

Man, HappyCockroach, I was hoping you'd be involved. I mean, you say you 'might' after you get back, but I hate to rush anyone... :<

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I realized that AnarchianBedlam has been gone for many moons, so waiting for his reply is probably unwise... :p

BallisticTerrain said:
In heroifying a unit, we can pick any unit from warcraft 3, right? The rules sort of make it seem like you can only pick one of the new units from TFT. Is this true?
BlinkBoy said:
So we can pick Marines, Zerglings or Hydralisks?
Sorry if it was unclear. No, it's meant to include every single unit in Wc3, although I originally intended for it to involve mainly the "regular" units (Melee & Campaign, HU, OR, NE, UD... Naga, Demons, Creeps, Taverns, whatevs). So sure, Marines/Zerglings/Hydralisks, though (personally) I'm a little blasè about those ones.

In fact, something I was considering was splitting it up into 2 Contests. We could have one "Hero-ify/Promotion/Ascension" contest focusing on the "Melee Races". Alliance, Horde, Scourge, Sentinels. Humans, Blood Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Jungle Trolls, Tauren, Undead, Nerubian, Demon, Night Elf, Fauna, Treekin... All of those races, that's at least ~48 units to pick from. If we include Campaign units (which we should), that's even more to choose from.

Then for a second contest, we look at "Neutral Races". Tavern alone gives us Goblin, Naga, Elemental, Pandaren, Undead, Demon, Mok'Nathal. Creeps gives you Trolls, Ogres, Gnolls, Kobolds, Wyverns, Harpies, Dragons/spawn, Faceless Ones, Undead... Etc.

~~~

Now, on the Plus side, that gives us another take on this contest idea, and hopefully increases the number of useful entries. Cons are that it might be too drawn out, and maybe people think there isn't enough room for creativity. Only if enough people think it's worthwhile & will participate do I think it should happen. Thoughts?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I guess many liked this and I also like this idea. How about hosting this? Who should do the favor? I might judge if I may not be able to join.
Don't worry, we'll be hosting it as soon as possible. I've got some things to finalize, but like I said, I'm writing up the Header post & will be submitting it for approval. : )

Deolrin said:
For the record, we discussed this in private messages and I didn't like the idea, so that's at least one vote for 'nay'. :p
Fair enough, that's true. Figured other people would want to weigh in. : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
For extra-useful entries, I suggest that the theme is reduced to only units for playable races of vanilla Warcraft III (also including TFT)
(Human, Undead, Horde, Night Elves, Blood Elves, Naga, and I think Dranei were also playable in some missions as a stand alone race).
eubz said:
We should include creeps for modification.
Technically I agree with you Astaroth; I want this to be as "successful" as possible, where by "successful" I mean "useful to me". ;P However, I can't be that picky, and I don't want to turn anyone away that wants to Marines or Zerglings for that sake...

Who knows. If enough people are interested, like I said, maybe it can be split into "main 4 races" and then "creep/campaign/special races".

~~~

Either way, take a look & weigh in over at the finished Modelling Contest #25 submission thread! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.