1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Model Portrait

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Nudl9, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can anyone include a camera so that this model has a portrait?
    Crypt Mother
    I've asked about it before, but nothing came of it.
    The model also has lighting problems, where enviromental lightning doesn't affect the model and it looks very bright.

2. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    About the lightning, that's because the materials are set as unshaded, i edited a copy to undo that, but the result is awful, so i use that model as it is :c

I had the same problem with a few other models, and most of them are Grendel's models.

3. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    He makes great models, but they always have some fundamental problem :/

4. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can add a camera to a model with War3 Model Editor, here's how :
    • Open the model in War3 Model Editor.
    • Click on "Windows" tab
    • Click on "Camera Manager"
    • Right click anywhere and click "Create New From Current View"
    As for the lighting problem, that can be fixed but the editing the shading like @stein123 said.

5. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's the Normals. Material shading won't fix that, as stein tested.
    If I recall correctly, -Grendel uses mdlvis to make stuff from scratch, and that's not efficient at Normal consistency.

6. SonsOfSami

SonsOfSami

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Holy hell, that model has a sh** ton of inversed polygons!
    That is what causes the problems with shading, as Mythic also said.

I can try to fix it, but it is going to take some time, because the inversed polygons are so many.

7. SonsOfSami

SonsOfSami

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Here you go.
    I could have missed some inversed polys, since they were way too many, but even if I did, they will affect the model in a very tiny way that would hardly be noticed.
    I also added a portrait camera.

EDIT: Fixed some other inversed polys that I missed

Sorry for the double post, I had to do it since an edit does not bring a notification

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  8. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you, thats a huge improvement.

What are inverted polygons?

Attached Files:

• CM.jpg
      CM.jpg
      File size:
      712.5 KB
      Views:
  9. SonsOfSami

SonsOfSami

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You are welcome.

To my knowledge, inverted polygons are, well let's say they are polygons that face the wrong way so lightning comes from the wrong direction
    A polygon can only face one way, and it should face the way you would always see it from, else it would have a terribly odd shading.
    More experienced modellers can say more on this than I could, I guess.

Since this model had way too many inverted polygons, that problem was hidden by making all materials non-shaded, that however is still a problem, because that is why the model had no shading at all.

What I did was, to make nearly all polygons face the right way (the way you would see them from) and uncheck the Non-shaded box on the materials.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think i understand, that seems like a lot of labour.

11. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I have to say thank you too! that's really useful, i myself wanted a fixed version of this model from a long time, i'll try this solution with other models to see how it works, one question, in wich program you fix the inverted polygons, on mdlvis?

12. SonsOfSami

SonsOfSami

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yep, I used mdlvis, but Magos is also a must since I use a trick with it to make finding inverted polygons much easier

The trick is, to make a TC layer for a material If there isn't, and then open the main layer and uncheck the two sided box, and make the filter blend.

This will make inverted polygons appear in a flat TC look, these are the inverted polygons, then open mdlvis, select each polygon with the flat TC, and click on Reverse normals.

After that, I revert materials to how it was before, (e.g a material had a transparent filter and then I set it to blend, after fixing the normals, I revert the filter to transparent again)

13. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Awesome, thanks a lot! i'll try that method!