• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
About the lightning, that's because the materials are set as unshaded, i edited a copy to undo that, but the result is awful, so i use that model as it is :c

I had the same problem with a few other models, and most of them are Grendel's models.

As for the lighting problem, that can be fixed but the editing the shading like @stein123 said.
It's the Normals. Material shading won't fix that, as stein tested.
If I recall correctly, -Grendel uses mdlvis to make stuff from scratch, and that's not efficient at Normal consistency.

Level 14
Here you go.
I could have missed some inversed polys, since they were way too many, but even if I did, they will affect the model in a very tiny way that would hardly be noticed.
I also added a portrait camera.

EDIT: Fixed some other inversed polys that I missed

Sorry for the double post, I had to do it since an edit does not bring a notification

Attachments

• CryptMotherFixed.mdx
    243.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Level 24
Thank you, thats a huge improvement.

What are inverted polygons?

Attachments

• CM.jpg
    CM.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 1,577
Level 14
Thank you, thats a huge improvement.

What are inverted polygons?
You are welcome.

To my knowledge, inverted polygons are, well let's say they are polygons that face the wrong way so lightning comes from the wrong direction
A polygon can only face one way, and it should face the way you would always see it from, else it would have a terribly odd shading.
More experienced modellers can say more on this than I could, I guess.

Since this model had way too many inverted polygons, that problem was hidden by making all materials non-shaded, that however is still a problem, because that is why the model had no shading at all.

What I did was, to make nearly all polygons face the right way (the way you would see them from) and uncheck the Non-shaded box on the materials.

Last edited:
Level 34
You are welcome.

To my knowledge, inverted polygons are, well let's say they are polygons that face the wrong way so lightning comes from the wrong direction
A polygon can only face one way, and it should face the way you would always see it from, else it would have a terribly odd shading.
More experienced modellers can say more on this than I could, I guess.

Since this model had way too many inverted polygons, that problem was hidden by making all materials non-shaded, that however is still a problem, because that is why the model had no shading at all.

What I did was, to make nearly all polygons face the right way (the way you would see them from) and uncheck the Non-shaded box on the materials.
I have to say thank you too! that's really useful, i myself wanted a fixed version of this model from a long time, i'll try this solution with other models to see how it works, one question, in wich program you fix the inverted polygons, on mdlvis?

Level 14
I have to say thank you too! that's really useful, i myself wanted a fixed version of this model from a long time, i'll try this solution with other models to see how it works, one question, in wich program you fix the inverted polygons, on mdlvis?
Yep, I used mdlvis, but Magos is also a must since I use a trick with it to make finding inverted polygons much easier

The trick is, to make a TC layer for a material If there isn't, and then open the main layer and uncheck the two sided box, and make the filter blend.

This will make inverted polygons appear in a flat TC look, these are the inverted polygons, then open mdlvis, select each polygon with the flat TC, and click on Reverse normals.

After that, I revert materials to how it was before, (e.g a material had a transparent filter and then I set it to blend, after fixing the normals, I revert the filter to transparent again)

Status
Not open for further replies.