• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

model frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i have been scrambling to find a modeling program thats free and does what i want it to do which is export to mdx, at first i tried gmax... no luck with exporting mdx or anything else. i cannot find a used copy of 3ds 4 or 5 so I'm out of luck there. So right now I'm trying blender, i export my model to .obj and use the tool obj2mdx and when i open it its all screwed up, so I'm not exactly sure what to do now. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Level 32
3D Modeling Tools: A must have! lists some basic tools, including the all-important MDLX Converter.

Also, according to The_Elite:
Introduction
This is a tutorial to export from gmax using 'DeX Script so that you can import to wc3.
Tools Needed
"DeX Script (i dont remember where to get it so i just attached it to this post, if you know where to get it pm me and ill edit this post)
Gmax
Magos Model Editor or MDLX Converter
Notepad (or any text editor)
A Healthy Brain
What To Do
Ok, before you start exporting theres one thing you have to do, select all of your model by left clicking and draging so that all of your model is selected ( by the way thats just my test model )

Now, right click on it and go to convert to> editable mesh

Once you've done that and are ready to export click on the utilites button

Then ,once you've done that click on the max scripts button

From there click on run script
Depending on how big the model is and how fast your computer is this may take some time
When thats done go back into max script and click open listener

Copy all of that text and open notepad (or your text editor)
Paste it all and then save it as yourmodel.mdl
Open Magos Model Editor (or MDLX Converter), and go to file>open and then open your model(if your using MDLX Converter i dont know what to do, but i trust you know)
Now your model should appear there, if not something went wrong, probably missed something when copying
Now go to file>save as and save it as yourmodel.mdx(if your using MDLX Converter i dont know what to do, but i trust you know)
And there you go, you can now import it into warcraft 3
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.