• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Model data to big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello im working atm with some guys on a new orpg, there for i wanted to use a high res doodad because i never saw somewhere a model like this.

Its a birch tree (high res doodad) from :
High-Res Doodad Pack & Expansion - Wc3campaigns

The Model of the birch has the mdx data ... 69 kb np
and 2 blp datas 1 for the leaves thats 475 kb
and 1 for the tree trunk 1057 kb

now i used to make the tree trunk blp data smaller with war3viewer.. saving it in jpg... and scaling down the quality np so i had a 130 kb tree trunk blp data, that was fine.

but if i convert the leaves blp i see the green leaves and in background black, and if i try now to reduce the quality i always have the black in background which looks terribel .. normal is the black area in the later model transparent.

some one know how to get the data smaller with a transparent background?
or maybe a better way to reduce the great data volume?

:thumbs_up: thx for read and maybe some one know how, would be nice

Level 21
jpegs don't have alpha channels. You must save the blp as a tga (with the proper converter, wc3viewer is pretty good for that), since tga's support do alpha channels. Then, save the tga as a blp with reduced quality. Optionally, you could also scale down the dimensions of the texture, but you'll need editing software that supports alpha channels for that. Examples of such programs are Photoshop or Gimp (free)

And also, this would probably belong more at the textures section than at the models section, if not at WEHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.