• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor Crash after texture resize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this little issue.

I'm using Born2Modificate's High-Res doodad pack. However, most of the textures are too large for my needs, so I need to downsize them. For downsizing, I'm using the following method:

1. Convert high-res BLP texture into 32 bit BMP with Warcraft 3 Viewer v2.3c.
2. Open up the BMP in Photoshop, resize (e.g. from 512x512 to 256x256) and save.
3. Convert downsized BMP back into BLP with War3 Viewer.

While this method works fine for most of the textures, there are some textures that cause World Editor to crash, instantly after I've placed a model using such textures. I think it has something to do with the alpha channel.

I've attached an example model, Gras.mdx, which uses the texture Misc_Plants.blp with path: Textures\Misc_Plants.blp

In the attachments, Misc_Plants.blp is the downsized texture (256x256, using the above method), while the other is the original texture (that works fine). When I place a doodad in World Editor using Gras.mdx model, the editor will crash if I use the downsized texture in the imports.

I found out that the editor won't crash if I convert the texture using 24bit. However, going this way, unfortunately, the transparency ist lost when using the model/texture in game. I think there is a little thing I'm missing or I don't know about model/texture stuff. Maybe my method is lacking a step, I dunno.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Gras.MDX
    1.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Misc_Plants.BLP
    81.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Misc_Plants (original HighRes).blp
    683.8 KB · Views: 78
Level 13
Thanks for your help Frankster, but it's still buggy.

In fact, with your blp, the editor does not crash anymore. However, the texture is somehow messed up on the model. The texture changes, depending on the viewing angle to the model.

I've attached a screenshot; left image is the model properly working with the original high-res texture. Right screenshot is with your texture (it shows some parts of the texture that are not supposed to be on the actual model).

Maybe the issues are also in some way related to the model's animation?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 120
Level 13
I found that some other models which also use this texture are working properly now. And best of, with all of the models, the crashes are gone now. So while the particular gras model still seems to be a bit bugged, the other stuff works fine now. Thanks a lot for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.