• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

MMR Decay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I hate this little feature Blizz implemented in HotS, if you're inactive for 2 weeks it's going to turn on and going to its maximum on... was it 4 weeks maybe, it basically is same as couple of losses affecting your mmr.

I've been inactive from HotS ladder for quite a time, I was gold when I stopped laddering, now I'm at bronze. It's not that motivating knowing your against people who are no match to you, I'm not a bronze anymore goddamnit -,-

I dunno if there's any laddering players on hive, just letting you know, don't even try to ladder before the next patch, it's just so demotivating...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It hasn't put me up again fast, I've been facing weak players since I started playing ladder again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Have fun and mess around a bit. Many pro players did that at WoL launch since their Beta ladder position did not carry over so they were also matched against new people.

Eventually it should start matching you correctly again. Just because you are in bronze does not mean you only fight bronze people. It will start matching you against silver and maybe even gold even before it promotes you to up.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I have fought players who have been gold before (maybe lower gold, with no good macro), but real bronzies too. The problem is I don't play sc2 that much, maybe 1 ladder game a day, sometimes 2-3.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That is enough as long as you keep it up. It will soon have you back where you should be. The problem is that ratting systems do not relate to actual skill and as such value meaning changes over time based on statistical variations. If the game is full of pros then even if you are good, you might only be bronze but equally well if it is full of noobs then you might easily reach diamond even if you cannot play well.

Before players who were in gold were pretty near the top with platinum being pros. This was changed when they added diamond so gold is actually closer to old silver now.

As long as you keep winning games it will match you against tougher opponents each time until you start to lose. You will get your MMR back fast because as it matches you against stronger opponents you will gain a lot of MMR for wins while they lose a lot. Eventually you will be back where you should be, probably in 1-2 weeks. However do remember that every game you play and win will match you against someone stronger.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Before players who were in gold were pretty near the top with platinum being pros. This was changed when they added diamond so gold is actually closer to old silver now.
Whoa, there was only 4 leagues at some point? Must've been early.

I see the skill level against me has got a bit higher than before. I like doing 3 hatches before pool against terran, so I did it against 2 terrans I faced today.

1st terran did bio ball on 2 bases, but that's about it, no drops or harassment. So I did zerglings, banelings, infestors, roaches on 4 bases and got to 200/200 in no time, and crushed him.

2nd terran saw me doing 3 hatch before pool, so he decided it'd be safe to have 3 early bases. Rofl, that game ended up shortly...

I checked their profiles, they have reached silver at least once. Sigh... it will take a long time (I believe it's 1-2 weeks as you said) before I reach gold again TT

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Zerg is not the easiest race to fight. They may look easy but they have considerable potential that few at low tiers manage to use. It has widely been considered that Zerg is more a "pro" race than any others as you can only really play it with skill.

I noticed this in custom games when as Zerg I can mass huge armies quite quickly compared to other random people who maybe make 1-2 units in the same time.

You might find that both these players do considerably better against Terran and Protoss opponents and their failing against Zerg is no because they suck but becdause they just have yet to fight many high end Zerg. You may also notice some of them start posting on sites that Zerg is over powered lol.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

sc2.jpg

9 games, 9 wins, still in bronze, why on earth. you can see I've reached gold, but no, mmr decay says "your one of bronzies"...

Today I faced 2 terrans, they both had ridiculous sense of harassment... actually the other one didn't even harass my base and let me do Broodlord/Corruptor/Zergling (need infestor there ikr) on 4 bases...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Didn't lose to either one. 20 games is soo much, and even then I'd only go to silver...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Didn't lose to either one.
Yet it says 2 games and 1 win? Sounds like an error then as the one win did not register.

Anyway every game you play and win should be matching you against stronger opponents. If it keeps matching you against bronze with 100% win ratio after 20 games then something is wrong and you can use this evidence as feedback that they need to improve their ranking system.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I've played 2 team games with my (complete) noob friend, that was like week ago.

Oh, ok. If I'll be on 100% with 20 wins I will send a pic of the record to forums, I doubt it will happen though, lol.

Edit: Now I see how misleadingly I typed that facing 2 terrans thing, I meant "I did 2 1v1s today, both of those were terran".

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Okay, the new patch made me lose 2 games. Then I've won 8 games. So currently, I've won 17 out of 19. 2 losses means that the patch did something though...

89% win rate is still too big imo, mrr decay should not exist, or at least be that strong.

As I said "I've been inactive from HotS ladder for quite a time", I actually meant like 6 months. Before that I played actively all the way to gold, at about ~50% win rate.

Now when I came back, the game expects me to play like shit bronze scrub?

Only good thing is that I'm silver now, although I would have reached Platinum if there was no mrr drop...

Edit: What the hell? My friend has never laddered, he played 5 games on ladder, won 3 games, AND GOT TO GOLD? Skipping bronze and silver? the fuck??

Edit2: I think I figured it out; he has only wol, so there's not that much players on the ladder, so gold league is easy to reach. Still 5 games and gold league, whoa...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Only good thing is that I'm silver now, although I would have reached Platinum if there was no mrr drop...
You cannot say that as the player base could have changed in the last 6 months. You might only be lower upper gold as opposed to upper upper gold.

You will eventually make it back up to gold (if that is still your level). Your >50% win rate will not last forever and the more you play the less likely you will win.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

That's fine by me, I need to feel challenged to keep myself motivated. Right now only motivation is to get back to the old league.

I can feel the level raising a little, its not the same however. One toss made a bunch of stalkers with msc. I decided to make roaches and early +1 attack upgrade. Weirdly enough he attacked my roaches... But his profile said he had reached diamond two times, must've taken a long break...

Level 2
Yeah I agree the decay system is much to aggressive, although I would be in the minority to not get affected by it, if not the opposite (playing more diamonds). Since inactivity can only reduce your mmr and not increase it, the lower leagues will be feeling the most hurt. Hope their solution is adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.