• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Missile (splash) + Orb of annihilation issue

Level 5
I'm adding Orb Of Annihilation to my range heros when picking up an item.

The issue is that I need to make their weapon type missile (splash) in order for it to work, but when I set it to missile (splash) without adding the Orb effect, the hero will not do any damage (or damage only procs 1 / 10 attacks for some reason). There is also orb effect issues related to missile (splash).

I either need to trigger the weapon type to go from Missile -> Missile (splash) when acquiring the item or fix the issue of not doing any damage when set to Missile (splash) in object editor.

I know I can use orb of fire or trigger my own AOE system, but I prefer Orb of Annihilation. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
There's not much else you can do, Orb effects are hardcoded, you need to trigger it yourself to bypass the orb limitations.

The diminishing damage radius is easy to manage. After you've set the Unit Group that contains potential enemies, use an If Then Else to do a distance check on each unit inside said group. If distance <= 75 then do Dmg * 1.0, else if distance <= 150 then do Dmg * 0.50, else do Dmg * 0.25.

You can try to switch the Weapon Type, there's plenty of threads on the topic that show you how to do it. If unit acquires item -> Switch weapon type. If unit loses item and has zero of them equipped -> Reset weapon type. You can track the original weapon type in a variable beforehand.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
The issue is that I need to make their weapon type missile (splash) in order for it to work, but when I set it to missile (splash) without adding the Orb effect, the hero will not do any damage (or damage only procs 1 / 10 attacks for some reason). There is also orb effect issues related to missile (splash).
Can you perhaps share the map, since I don't have any issues with the unit having Missile (Splash) by default and having it deal damage just fine?
What's the issue with having the weapon type as Missile (Splash) by default?

Level 5
Can you perhaps share the map, since I don't have any issues with the unit having Missile (Splash) by default and having it deal damage just fine?
What's the issue with having the weapon type as Missile (Splash) by default?
Just using a test map you can set a any range hero to missile (splash) and check, it causes heros to miss attacks for me. Unless I add values (1-10 small enough not to splash) to Full dmg, medium dmg and small dmg under area attack, then it works but its not 100%

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Just using a test map you can set a any range hero to missile (splash) and check, it causes heros to miss attacks for me. Unless I add values (1-10 small enough not to splash) to Full dmg, medium dmg and small dmg under area attack, then it works but its not 100%
I don't have same issue - for me the attacks work perfectly fine. Are you changing other fields than just weapon type?

Edit: Enable Homing Projectiles to make the splash type have a chance to miss.

Last edited: