• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minimum/Maximum Size

Do you think this would be a good addition?

• Not a good addition and would be pointless...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I have a small suggestion I know alot of people would like. Have you ever needed a model thats a certain size like 100 kb (our example) and spent a while looking around the model section for a good model 100 kb or less? I have a suggestion to help searching in the models (and maybe skin) section that could help alot.
Basically, you could enter a minimum kb filesize and a maximum kb filesize that you need. It would pull up whatever you were searching for and meet your kb requirments. Alot of good models are above 100 kb and it sometimes makes searching for models (especially if you dont know what kind of model you want) often difficult. With this, however, just punch in your needed sizes and it would show you all the models in that filesize range.
I would think this would be a good thing to add and I don't know how it wouldn't be good (aside from the fact that it may leave out good quality high kb models). Searching would be much easier if you needed a certain size. Please vote on the poll how you think of this.

Last edited:
Level 12
This idea is pretty good! I like it!

Off topic:
You know what annoys me the most?
When some idiot goes on and add every tag to his model/map
so no matter how you filter it it always shows up.
Some one shoud fix that and sort it out, I know it will be alot of trouble but it mite clear up the thing.

Level 10
If its just for having a search option to look for those only 100kb or less then I'm all for it. I wouldn't want it as a site requirement for posting though, as there are some very nice large models out there which can make an amazing addition to a map.

Level 17
My personal thoughts would just be to allow you to type in a filesize in the search box.

Presently, if I was to get a model which was too big, and I wanted to use it in my map, I'd almost certainly bastardize it by merging verts and shrinking the skin and deleting anims I don't need. Technically its editing the model, but I wouldnt claim it, I'd give credit to the original author, I would just need to be able to include it in my map without going over the tiny max map size. So searching by filesize would be awesome.

Hmm. what about if we flood blizzard asking to remove the max map size? or at least raise it to 8x what it is now? 32 meg isn't that big, like 4-5 minutes on dsl, and then you could have multiplayer campaigns. And if you don't want to play in a game with a bigass download, then don't!

Level 17
4mb is more than enough.

If you want to make a standard map maybe.

If you want to have whole armies of custom models with custom textures and doodads and ground tiles and sound, because your project can use litle to none of the WC3 models while still being right, and your goal is a 12 player map, then its really not.

I'm actually thinking one of my projects might have to resort to textures with 128x128 resolution or 64x64. which is absolutely awful.

What if you want more than 4 armies too? What if you want an absurd number of armies? maybe you want to make a warhammer mod and feel (correctly) that all or almost all of the armies are necessary?

4 MB is enough for some projects, but others will need more. Presently projects that have a legitimate use for more have to lower their quality as the 4MB imposes some huge limits.

Level 17
4mb is enough. You can always find things to use as replacements, and those that you can't, you can just import, it wont be more than 4mb. Also, main feature of bnet maps is gameplay, teamwork, and FUN. Custom models add AESTHETICS, which is something that BNET maps don't really need.

I mainly play Lans, and I really think its stupid to have the size limit on a lan game (it's there though). I kindof disagree with the aesthetics not being necessary though. that's up to the creator to decide for their individual project.

Level 11
I want it.

I almost always need small models/skins for my maps. Of course sometimes I want something really high-def. In both cases that feature would help things a lot.

Level 11
*bump* Sorry for the double post, but I think this is a very good idea and that it should be incorporated into the current set of search features.

Status
Not open for further replies.