• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Tutorial: Head UVWunwrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Unwrapping heads is a pain.
Many people are kind of scared of doing it.
I found it a huge pain in the ass doing it.
This will decrease the pissed offness and make it easier.
Im posting this so I dont forget how and I wan't to help out
Programs: Any 3d package will do,though 3dsmax is the most sophisticated for this.

Step by step:

1. Detach the head model from the body (without the hair).
2. Put on the Spherify modifier. Your head will now be a big bloated sphere.
3. Put on the UVW Map modifier, with Spherical mapping.
4. Delete the Spherify modifier from the stack.
5. Collapse it all down into Editable Poly
6. Add the unwrap UVW modifier and tweak your UV's

halo aka CMB,staby

Level 5
Great tutorial halo.

I checked it and it can be done in a similar way. While you add the UVW Mapping you can set the mapping to Spherical, fit and set alignment to Z. Without making the Spherity modifier.

Maybe a full tutorial about how to start and end a model for those who need it?

Level 5
If you don't understand the terms, you really shouldn't be reading it. Anyway, I've never really worked with humanoids too much, I'll keep this in mind. Seems like a strange method though, but I guess it works.

I read it cause i want to learn, and when you don't learn in class or any were what do you do? asssskkkkkk questions, or tell the teacher to dumb it down, lol.

RiO

RiO

Level 1
Good method, but not really reccomendable. Deleting modifiers in the middle of the modifier stack is generally seen as very bad practice that can easily destabalize 3dsMax up to corrupting your .max file when saving it.

It's a better idea to use a spherical mapping and afterwards get rid of distortion through a UV-relaxation tool, such as the UVHelp plugin for 3dsMax4 or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.