• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Map Image Tutorial

Level 10
Making a Custom Mini-Map Image
This tutorial will teach you how to make a custom Mini-Map Image for whatever map you like.

Needed Tools
-An image for your mini map, make it 128 pixels by 128 pixels
-Any program that lets u save images as TGA's (Paintshop, Printshop, etc.)
-Warcraft III, the Frozen Throne

The Image
Make a image of whatever you like and make it 128 pixels by 128 pixels, MAKE SURE YOU SAVE IT AS A TGA FILE! For the purpose of this tutorial, I am using an image of the Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne logo, as seen below.
war3-logo-off.gif

Importing the Image
In the World Editor, open the Import Manager and click on File, Import and open the TGA file that you have created. The custom path must be changed however, so double click on the image you imported and check the box "Use Custom Path".
Change the path to "war3mapPreview.tga" with nothing before it and proper case. Make sure its exact.

Thats it! Its that easy! This is what mine looked like when i was done:
minimapimagefinishedlook.jpg

Level 3
Ok, new problem, I tried that and now WC3 crashes if I try and view the minimap peview in any way. I saved a .tga file as war3mapPreview.tga and imported it into the target map.

What's the problem? Can you help?

Level 2
Thanks

At first the minimap image was white to me to, but then i changed the image size to 128 to 128 pixels (i had used only 100 to 100 first becuse i thought it didnt matter what as long as it wasnt more that 128) and then it worked. Thanks man!

Level 4
Did everything step by step.

I Downloaded a logo I wanted off the internet. Opened Photoshop Elements 2.0

Resized it to 128x128 pixels. Changed the Format to a Targa file(TGA) Imported it in the import manager. Renamed the path to war3mapPreview.tga

Saved my map, closed WE. Opened up Warcraft 3, Went to Single Player, went to my map. Sadly the In Game Minimap was still there. So why isn't it working?

Level 2
Maybe saving it in resolutions affect it. I saved the tga in 24-bit, it worked. Later, i updated the minimap, saving it in 32-bit and it didnt work.
(and yes i remembered to remove the older one :p)

Level 9
just a quick note

just something i found out...
you can change the mini-map in the left hand corner by importing an image, exactly the same dimensions as for a mini-map preview, and naming it "war3mapmap.tga" with nothing before it...

so if you want to disable the mini-map replace it with a black picture...