• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metal Gear Multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Metal Gear Multiplayer, by: Teldrassil,

Inspired by: Metal Gear Maze by - Los_Tacos

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=78171&prev=s=Metal&d=list&r=20

------------------------------------------------
Goal:

This game is about tactics and espionage.

The goal is to be the last one remaining in a classic elimination mode.
------------------------------------------------
Features:

All abilities are hotkeyed with.. (Q) (W) (E) (R) (T) (D) (F) or (G) except for build, which is (B)

there are 3 constructs, (Proximity Mine, Sentry Turret, Sentry Camera)
5 Physical Abilities (Run, Move Silently, Strangle, Jump, Cripple)
5 Weapon Abilities (Controlled Rocket, Shotgun, Piercer, Grenade, Smoke Bomb)
2 Equipment Abilities (Flare, Sticky Camera)

Vision is only givin infront of your unit, meaning it is much easier for an enemy to sneak up on you.

All players have the Shadow Meld and True Sight abilities (true sight is very short range)

Spotlights patrol the map, revealing anyone they see (does not grant vision, but detects invisability).

Traps are set up in the map, more will be added, current traps are either pillar of flame or spike traps.
--------------------------------------------------
Version and Misc:

Beta v.1.0.1

-Fixed Multiplayer (I hope)

This is a very early version of the map, just to test the basics and the general idea. Ideas and bug reports are welcome.

Also, model files and custom terrain tiles and doodads to suit the Metal Gear feel would be welcomed.
--------------------------------------------------
Creds:

Models:
Sentry Gun - Domokun

Spells:
Grenade - ThredNThrash
Non Triggered Jump - MjhaL

-Teld

Attachments

• Metal Gear Multiplayer.w3x
    45.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Level 4
The name 'metal gear multiplayer' is very misleading for a few reasons. The basic one being -

a) the test map can only be played in single player lol

My first effort was to lan it, then my second was to try open it in WE and finally (luckily for you) i was bothered to start War3 again and try it in single player.

Aite, my impressions are -

Decent spell list for the player, it could make for an interesting multiplayer experience.... but nothing about the game resembled metal gear. At least not to me.

First off, you should have the weapons as items, not abilities that the player has. You should have to collect the weapons for use, or at least select which ones you prefer to start with.

Vision is bad too... making it so limited really doesn't resemble metal gear.... you should simulate the stealth by using various versions of invis and windwalk, not by making the player a semi-blind man.

The abilities themselves, while cool and useful... aren't really metal gear. The player should be all about hiding in boxes, setting decoys and silent killing. Building structures is especially a problem.... what kind of spy spends 10 seconds building a claymore with a pick? You should just drop em.

Also, the terrain is a bit of a downfall. That tile is used too often for more modern style games. It's just been overdone to the point that it detracts from the game experience. Get some custom models or tiles and try recreate a select scene from one of the metal gear games... that would be ace.

Anyways sorry the review is harsh, but when ever you base a custom game on an actual game you really have to work to provide some sort of similarity between the two. The abilities and stuff you have made is of reasonable design, so if you go back and rework your idea I don't doubt you could come up with something a little more metal gear.

Level 10
Heh sorry about that, it was meant for multiplayer but I forgot to set up the players. it would be way more metal gear with some custom models and terrain, but I just cant find anything. The few I did find were only cliff terrain without actual tiles, and that just looked weird.

I'll fix it to make it multiplayer.

The claymore and stuff were going to be instant, but under suggestion from a friend they became buildable so I could have more, as targettable dummy summon spells are hard to come by. The vision is to allow people to sneak up on you from behind and use the physical skill "strangle" which is short range to kill you. The vision makes it so it's much easier to kill someone from behind than the front, as you still have that small invis detection. The frontal vision also makes things like the sentry camera or the flare far more useful.

I cant really use the box thing yet, as I have no doodads to blend into but once I get some I definately will.

The abilities such as controlled rocket, strangle and the proximity mine are based off the metal gear feel, like Solid Snake's appearance in smash bros brawl.

The searchlights that patrol the map are supposed to add to the metal gear feel, and once I can get some metal gear music I'll add that in too.

Thanks for the review guys

-Teld

Level 23
No problem. I like giving reviews. XD
I agree with you on the searchlight part. Although I havn't played Metal Gear, I have seen a lot of videos about it! :p

I have a lot of custom doodads I have found over the months. THose might help. So, if you want any help, terraining or doodad wise, I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.