• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Creep Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
How do you place creeps in a melee map so it looks good? Do I place them individually? And how do I make a group drop items?

Lots of melee questions

Level 34
I suggest you just look at the Blizzard melee maps.

For the creeps, there is no way to explain where to put them. Just make small cubbies for them I guess. Or gold mines.

For the items, you use item tables Double click a unit and go to dropped on death. Look at a melee map for an example of how to make item tables.

Level 5
Usually creeps are placed amongst other creeps that are similar to themselves (dragon whelps placed with drakes and dragons, dark troll priests placed with dark troll priests... etc). You can even make the creeps "customly random", giving some variety to the map each time you play it.

To make it look like the creeps "belong" rather than just sitting around waiting to die, strategically placing doodads around them will help make it look like they got there first, and you're the invader.

Level 8
How do I place Random Groups in my maps?

Open up the editor.

At the top menu part select Layer:

Layer is divided into the following groups:

T = Terrain

D = Doodads

U = Units

R = Regions

M = Cameras

In future all you have to do is hit one of those letters on your keyboard.

Select Units or hit U on your keyboard.

This will open a mini-window within editor - it will be titled Tool Pallet.

In the image attached below you will see my desktop, I opened up the editor and I opened up four tool pallets.

1. Terrain Pallet where you can modify all of the terrain stuff.

2. Unit Pallet - where it is set for Team 1 (Red) you can see all of the units

3. I scrolled down to Neutral Hostile units - Currently it is set for the Tile Set Barrens (where it says Barrens) You can select any tile set you have through that and get different creep pallets.

4. Is doodads since I assume you know what that is.

You can only plop down one unit at a time. Not a group like with doodads.

You will note that they are arraigned in groups for instance the Barrens tile set for neutral hostile units starts off with the group Centaurs, followed by Bronze Dragons, Followed by Harpies, etcetera so on and so forth.

Creative placement can consist of either a nook or a gully as in my Spiders Den (second image) or you can place a village of creeps together as I did in Troll Village(third image).

Mind I took the time to make torch units and fire-pit units, I also enlarged and changed the pathing and names of the log structures - all of those are now neutral hostile and when the player reaches the village s/he will be able to attack not only the living units (trolls) but the troll village itself clearing out the area of log-hovels and fire-pits and torches.

Whereas the spider's den has a gold mine (those steep hills are pathing blocked by the way, no cliffs please) the troll village is only there to give the player something to hone their skills and experience level on.

A couple others are attached to give you an idea of how to place creeps nicely in a map.

Attachments

• lookatme.jpg
    lookatme.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Spiders_Den.jpg
    Spiders_Den.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Troll_village.jpg
    Troll_village.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Ship_wreck.jpg
    Ship_wreck.jpg