• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

max controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three type of transformation interpolation supported by warcraft: linear, bezier, hermite. I wonder when is certain controller suitable for different transformations. As far as I know, TCB in max means hermite interpolation. Also I noticed that blizz models usually have linear translation, tcb/hermite rotation and bezier scale.

Here is what I know about those types of interpolation:
1. Linear: All point are connected with straight lines. This is pretty straightforward.
2. Hermite: All points are connected with a curve, usually of third or fifth order.
3. Bezier: the only points connected are only the first and the last, other serve only as 'control points' how the curve will behave.

Is that 2. or 3. what makes that unwanted shaking even though there is no keys in between as the curve is not a straight line? This would probably mean that linear interpolation is the most useful.

:confused:

I hope someone will understand what I want to know.

P.S. Probably only max users will know something about it

Last edited:
Level 6
I go with linear whenever possible because it takes way less file size. You can edit the in- and out-tangents in the note track if you want to get rid of that shaking around. I haven't used max in forever, but I think it's something that comes up when you right click a key.

There are three type of transformation interpolation supported by warcraft: linear, bezier, hermite. I wonder when is certain controller suitable for different transformations. As far as I know, TCB in max means hermite interpolation. Also I noticed that blizz models usually have linear translation, tcb/hermite rotation and bezier scale.

Here is what I know about those types of interpolation:
1. Linear: All point are connected with straight lines. This is pretty straightforward.
2. Hermite: All points are connected with a curve, usually of third or fifth order.
3. Bezier: the only points connected are only the first and the last, other serve only as 'control points' how the curve will behave.

Is that 2. or 3. what makes that unwanted shaking even though there is no keys in between as the curve is not a straight line? This would probably mean that linear interpolation is the most useful.

:confused:

I hope someone will understand what I want to know.

P.S. Probably only max users will know something about it

Actually bezier is the best because it lets you control the curve in a soft way; I've also found out that it's easier for Wc3 to compute bezier curves than hermite, which could reduce model producted lag a bit.

in what kind of situations do we use Bezier curves? Let me give you an example in gif.

Here is the Linear preview:

linearballwl5.gif

As you see the ball moves like if it's velocity would be constant; it moves equal portions of distance per second; which looks unrealistic.

Now here is in Bezier:

bezierballbm7.gif
`

Now you can see the distance/time is not always the same, but the object is accelerating is it falls and as it ascends.

Status
Not open for further replies.