• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mario Kart

This is a huge upload for me. I challenged myself to make as close to an accurate reenactment of Mario Kart series as I could.

The catch: It would have to be multi-player and I could only use the World Editor GUI. (There are some jass scripts that were originally GUI, I just converted them so that the map would stay within ROC limitations.)

So, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'm releasing this map as an unfinished project. The map is close to completion, the layout is complete, as well as nearly all of the triggers for the first player (red), but it runs horrendously slow; however it's playable if you do it single-player.

If you would like to take a look at the map and see if you can finish it, feel free; I implore you to do so. The triggers need a lot of cleaning up, though; leaks are overly abundant. If you do decide to work on it, please e-mail me (my e-mail is included in the triggers in the map), and if you do eventually get it finished, you don't need to include my name in the credits; I just want to see someone with more experience than I finish the map.

[EDIT: I apologize, I forgot to add the controls:

Left Arrow Key - Hold to turn left
Right Arrow Key - Hold to turn right
ESC Key - Uses Item

After you select your player and kart, type "test" without the quotes and it will start.]
Contents

Mario Kart (Map)

Reviews
Craka_J: If this develops more, it will be a fun map. Please work on this and finish it! Approved.

M

Craka_J: If this develops more, it will be a fun map. Please work on this and finish it! Approved.

Level 2
Hi. I like the idea of your map, but its heavily buged - it is possible to finish lap in 5 seconds or so.

What should be fixed: in first track players are able to kill super sized peasants.

Players can pass through all doodoads. Including fences, walls, etc. This bug ruins everything pretty much.

Track 3 laged heavily for me.

I could not pass track 3, cuz I just couldn't finish the map. I passed start line like 5 times, but it just didn't started counting lap 2 time.

In track 1 mario randomfly flew of his kart, randomly changed colours. (camouflage?)

The music. I know its mario-like, but I had to turn off the sound.

Overall: I will not rate this, because it is beta and some bugs makes it unplayable.

Level 4
Responses @ Envy

I agree, there are MANY bugs, but some of the aforementioned things aren't bugs at all.

The peasants can be killed if the force of the kart is greater than 5, that is, if they use a star. I believe this is the only way, but if you did it differently, I'll look into it.

In the first track, players cannot pass through the fences, it's only in the last four tracks they can. This isn't a bug, rather, my laziness. I only completed the "bump" triggers in the first track for testing purposes.

The whole map should've lagged heavily; it's nowhere near optimization and is so leaky that it could turn death valley into the deepest lake in the world.

The map doesn't automatically start a new lap every time you cross the start line, you have to hit a halfway point for the map to set the start line as "passable". In track three, it's just after the shortcut on the track.

"mario randomly flew off his kart". Yeah, this is one bug that I just don't know how to fix. I haven't spent much time on fixing it because I didn't think it detracted much from the game as a whole.

As for the randomly changing colors, if you bump something or hit an item, your kart will become un-hittable by items and other players' karts and flash to signify as such, just like in the original Mario Kart. He'll also flash different colors if you use a star.

Another bug that isn't mentioned: If you have a star at when you cross the finish line, it'll erase the item but you'll still have the star above your head and be unable to pick up any more items.

Thanks for the feedback and, as I said before, I have no real intention on completing the map myself. I have very little jass experience and couldn't even fathom fixing all the bugs. I think I might finish a single-player, time trial mode if I get enough people that want it.

A multi-player version? You aren't going to get it from me.