• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mario Kart Minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8

Attachments

• Jump.png
    Jump.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • Pipes.png
    Pipes.png
    804.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Items.png
    Items.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 197
  • boosters.png
    boosters.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • mario kart.png
    mario kart.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 245
  • mk.png
    mk.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 25
I'm glad you didn't use arrow keys :D

Some ideas:
  • Lock the camera - either to the unit, or periodically pan to a point in front of the kart
  • Implement angular acceleration and deceleration, it looks terrible when a kart just stands still when it reaches the current move order point.

I've attached an old map of mine that uses an acceleration-based movement system. Units accelerate in the direct they're facing, so you drift around corners. Feel free to use it.

Attachments

• justanotherslidemap.w3x
    75.8 KB · Views: 48
Level 5
Had a test of it just with AI, and it was surprisingly fun for what it is. Some things that might need a bit of a change are:

- The amount of time those plants stun/slow you for. It was extremely frustrating getting back to speed after that, and kinda did remove a bit of the fun.
- Some of the goombas should patroll across the road.
- Possibly lower angles for turning? Tapping the left key once turned the cart quite a way round, and I think a lower angle for each press/hold is necessary for more comfortable driving.

Apart from those, it was good! If you get some more maps/areas up and running, give the ability to cylce/choose between them, it could be a fun minigame to play with friends :)

Review:

Terrain:
The terrain is pretty good for super mario, but that rock tile at the start doesn't fit much. Also, those trees don't fit with each other, imo.

Items:
Nice and effective items, not much to say here.

Gameplay:
Fun gameplay, i like it. But those piranha plants slows too much.

Last edited:
Level 8
Map finished!!

I'm glad you didn't use arrow keys :D

Some ideas:
  • Lock the camera - either to the unit, or periodically pan to a point in front of the kart
  • Implement angular acceleration and deceleration, it looks terrible when a kart just stands still when it reaches the current move order point.

I was thinking about adding these but just realized lock camera would mean cant use unlimited range items and angular acceleration thing might be too unfair with delay and it would be hard for computers

Status
Not open for further replies.