• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Marine Arena (Name not set)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Marine Arena (Ready to Test!)

attachment.php

By: GamingShrimp (Tagg1080)

Intro:

The Terran have many different programs that range from "helping" ill men and women, to "helping" convicts and death sentenced criminals. Many of these programs lead the selected men and women into the armed forces to bolster the Terran infantry. This creates a large flux of soldiers that are cheap and easy to throw away when the situation calls for it. Against enemies such as the Zerg and Protoss, being able to "army ant" with soldiers is a strategy used all too often.

Being the greedy, blood-hungry, and savage people that they are, a small group of wealthy Terran have acquired a number of these individuals. Similar to the Gladiators of past times, these man are put against each other for the sport of their blood and the fame and glory that they only enjoy as slaves to the system. Using old abandoned asteroids and planets, these "gladiators" are pit against each other for illegal sport. Gambling is a hot ticket item on the latest great warrior. Though the Terran government does not openly support this barbaric pastime, it does not actively attempt to stop the bloodbath. A percentage of the gambling winnings and stadium ticket sales gets siphoned into certain Terran Officials' pockets, deterring any kind of investigations significantly.

You are thrown into this world as a man to fight for his life. Past knowledge of your life was destroyed through whatever process brought you here. All you know is that you are fit as an ox, and that you have been dealt a shitty hand by whatever God exists.

Fight and live or roll over and die. Glory brings promise of freedom. But Nothing tastes better than empty promises. You fight because you have to. You fight because it is what is. And you fight because you don't want any of the other arrogant Bast'rds to win.

Welcome to Arena Life, Marine.

Life as a Marine:

The marines in the arena life have been heavily commercialized. The need for skill brackets has helped keep the marines alive longer, and has helped the gambling process boom.

Each marine has a permanent record.

This record has his kills, deaths, round wins, and round losses safely stored away in a data bank.

(When marines "Die", they get moved off the battlefield by a Medivac, only to be returned momentary after being quickly put back together. This process gets the fights going quickly, but severely decreases the life span of the marines.)

Every set of rounds that the marine goes through (aka every time the map is played) he will acquire bonus points for certain crowd favored achievements. Being the first man with a kill and having multiple kills in a short amount of time are examples of such feats. These points will build and pile up as the marine makes his rounds. When he is retired from that circuit of the arenas(aka the map is over), he is given those points with multipliers based on how many he received. His bonus points are then recorded with the other statistics, while the bonus points and their multiplier are wiped clean for the next set of rounds.

This ensures that each marine acts optimally during each and every round.

When these points reach a certain value the marine moves up into a higher division. (or lower division if he is a poor source of entertainment) This will grant him a bigger "wallet" when grabbing supplies from Bob's Gun shop at each round. This will also grant the marine the ability to be in bigger arenas, experience different styles of fights, and even get a chance at freedom.

Each marine will start his rounds (aka when you start the map) by getting randomly assigned a team.(aka the people you play with) The team's previous records are then averaged together, and an arena and enemy is picked for you.(aka computers and/or other players are on the other team. The arena is random based on the divisions of the players) Each marine will get a chance to equip himself before each battle. Ill equipped marines don't live as long. The rounds will then start, and the marines will fight till the end.

The marines are sent back to re-equip themselves before each battle to ensure the longest life span and most interesting fights.

Each marine has a life span. (aka how many times they may "die") When the marine reaches the end of his life, his record will be sealed forever. His glory will remain, but he shall not. (Your marine will be assigned a number upon creating him, and once he dies that many times, his record will be sealed and he will be unplayable. Eventually a site will be set up to show off your "retired" marines.)

If your marine happens to be lucky, (and I mean lucky), he will instead be able to earn his freedom. His record will then be sealed, and a holographic representation of him will be created to keep the fans happy forever. (aka your player is retired, but you can still keep playing with him, no records will be kept, but you can pick the arena, the game type, any equipment, etc...)

Attachments

• Arena 1.png
    Arena 1.png
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • Arena 2.png
    Arena 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
  • Logo1.png
    Logo1.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,582
Last edited:
Level 10
BUMP!

Once this new error with the Editor is fixed, I shall release the map to you guys to play with.

Testing with a buddy has gone REALLY well.

The UI is getting drawn out designed on white boards-> paper-> GIMP , so expect it to be epic.

Working on making this map efficient for multi-player, and scripting will be used. :thumbs_up:

I have my last 3 finals monday and tuesday. (Calc 2, Java 2, and Physics, so don't expect me to work on this till they are over)

Level 4
HI there!

Did that music in the video come from Neverwinter Nights 2? :D It sounds to familiar...

In any case, if you need some testing done, I think I can spare the time, as long as I can make you happy with less than a complete, all-around test that would rival an open beta...

Happy mapping!

Yours,

Ouguiya

Level 10
HI there!

Did that music in the video come from Neverwinter Nights 2? :D It sounds to familiar...

In any case, if you need some testing done, I think I can spare the time, as long as I can make you happy with less than a complete, all-around test that would rival an open beta...

Happy mapping!

Yours,

Ouguiya

The newest patch has messed it up, and I don't have the problem that everyone is saying is the problem, :grin:

So as of right now, it is not testable, unless you wanna d/l it and play it single player...

I am working on the map more today, and maybe by tonight I can confidently post it up and let you guys fiddle with it.

I am still not happy with it enough to give it out yet.

Thank you for the offer though!

Level 10
BUMP

Ok, so, there has been so much stuff changing with this over time that I can't even keep up with this thread, lol

SO!

I will finish getting things organized, and then update this fully.

Since the editor is still kinda screwy, I am going to be making a smaller scale version of this map. Once more features are optimized in the editor, I shall complete it.

In a few days, check back, and there will be TONS of info, and I am working with a friend to get some images finished, he has the concepts and is working on them now.

Once those are done, this thread will be beefed up, and then you guys can see the project in all of its glory!

Edit: Still chugging along.

The new patch will make it publishable!!
Once some testing gets done on the battle system, and the movements system, and the points/division system, and the equipment system, and the life/death system, and the, well, you guys get the point...

I am gunna be testing it for a few hours to work out the first wave of bugs this afternoon/night.

After that, I will update the hell out of this thread, and then you can all actually see what it is instead of just a random project with nothing done!

Last edited:
Level 10
bump!

This has a lot of views, but I still don't know anyone's opinion, lol

Just in case people are paying attention to this,

it is not dead.

The UI is almost done, I just need 1-2 more things finished, the save/load system is working, and I am working on making it secure.

The first version I am going to release is going to be JUST the arena.

Just a blank arena, where you kill and get killed, you respawn. unlimited time/lives, it will be purely to test out if the battles are fun. all the equipment will be available, in limited supply, and it will be to purely test of the save/load, and the points/divisions that will be in place.

I want this to be a very competitive map, so a lot of testing will need to be done.

It is almost there though, lol

Takes a lot of time to get this crap right, and the last patch messed around with the layout of the data editor, which is quite annoying as I was in the middle of working on the units/abilites, lol

So:
-This is still being worked on.
-I am trying to get a playable version out as soon as it makes sense to put one out.
-Still don't have any feedback, but there isn't much here, so I am not upset.

Level 10
Bumpddd

GRR!

So I partnered up with a buddy to get this to be bigger + better, and we wound up sitting down and spending a few days redesigning the gameplay.

so...

We only have a few days till the end of the beta, and we are trying as hard as we can to get this playable within that limit.

So please check this everyday from now on if you wanna test it, we are only gunna have 2-3 days max to get feedback, and then it is all gunna be in the dark so to speak until release, so PLEASE watch this and at least try it once!!!

I am pulling an all nighter tonight, and hopefully getting it done either tonight or tomorrow, as we have it laid out on white board, it just needs to be done.

The last NEEDED UI is being finished tonight by him, so hopefully in the morning you guys can test this.

Please? :thumbs_up:

(Oh yea, North American server, so idk about the rest of you guys...)

Level 10
Hey guys!

Project is still being worked on, :thumbs_up:

During the beta downtime, the game was actually remade using Game Maker (if any of you know what that is), to play with what was fun, and even a little bit of balance.

It is currently being translated back into Star2, and I will keep you dudes posted on what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.