Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Maps] Unprotected maps

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by AllStarZ, Nov 8, 2006.

1. AllStarZ

AllStarZ

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just an idea to add a category in the maps section for unprotected maps.

2. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you mean put every single map in the same category? Why?

3. AllStarZ

AllStarZ

Resources:
    Resources:
    People learn how to map by looking at unprotected maps in editor right?

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It could be a metacatagory ( or w/e ) like the DC Category

5. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    no thats just a crap idea.

you will find a whole fricking array of RPG and god knows what, if its unprotected its unprotected if its not then live it it...

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, i know, i think that would encourage mapstealing...

7. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That section would be useless, and it would encourage BOTH map stealing AND protecting.

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What is it with MAP STEALING!
    So many maps had potential yet the map maker dropped them in a protected state before all their potential was reached.
    Maps like DBZ tribute are *รง%&ed up now due to protection since the map maker lost his comp and had no unprotected version to re-edit.

It would be nice to see more high quality maps unprotected so that people may learn since it would cut the number of "OMG HOW I MAKE TRIGGER WORK" posts by about 15%.

Ofcourse maps that people spent ages working on (like DotA, GOE2, HOE ect) have the right to be protected but some realy crap maps are protected just so the author does not have someone improve the map.
    Worse LOAPS are being protected just so that a rip of a rip of a rigged rip of a rip cant be ripped.

It would be nice if kind map makers could submit old versions of their maps for people to learn from since maps like GOE2 would make VERY GOOD learning recources especialy the way it uses multiboards.

Ofcourse there are always ways to tell a rip from an orignal.
    1. DL from the orignal map makers recomended link and dont join versions with a file name like "Gennis[[[12]]] o[3]f E[LEET]mpires 1.[1][8][4]8"
    2. Do not host rigged unoffical versions.
    3. NEVER play rigged unoffical versions.

If you are still worried that your map will be ripped atleast submit some of the systems it uses.

Since there are far to many people on WC3 who think "uhh its far to hard to do something like that" and would benifit from advanced systems fetured in maps.

I am awair im ranting on about protection but I feel some people are overdoing it but i do have to agree that protection is the only way to stop noobs "rigging" maps in a noob way.

And currently the map upload is down so why bother to post this topic at all LOL.

9. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if someone protects their map and they have no unprotected copy, then thats their own stupid fault.

and havnt a map protected is a choice, if someone wants to look at the triggers of an protected map, then they should see the author rather than breaking in.
    But hey, protection can easily be broken through, nothing is safe.

10. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In most cases, i prefer unprotection, but that doesnt mean that i blatantly advertise that im unprotected, thats like asking noobs to steal. If you want people to learn from your map, just leave it unprotected, and let them figure out for themselves :roll:

11. AllStarZ

AllStarZ

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm proposing that there be an unprotected section for newbs at mapmaking, let those who are more determined to edit break the protection themselves.

12. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    People don't learn from other maps.

And really, why make a section and put every map there?

13. DeadDogNoGoWoof

DeadDogNoGoWoof

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    People do in fact learn from other maps. It's how I learned to make maps in the first place.

And, uh, there is a good (in fact, very large) number of maps that are protected on this site.

I dunno if I got what you are poking at there. Maybe you are saying protected maps are easy enough to unprotect that it's like they are unprotected?

14. AllStarZ

AllStarZ

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm gonna make it as clear as I shouldve done earlier. Its a section for all those maps that have been submitted without protection. So basically all newb mapmakers can take a peek at these to develop their own maps.

15. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i already know that..

and seriously..there is like 20%-50% unprotected maps and putting them in that section will mean one big mess of WTF types of maps.

16. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Everymap is like you say "unprotected" although that's a very lame word. I would say a better word is open source.

And no, it is impossible to learn from a map, you probably can imitate a map, not like it is worth it against real learning. That's something you can only get after experimentation and stuff like that.

17. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually back when I was teh noobie of mapmaking, I opened up Dodgeball to learn about variables and many other things.
    That was one of my first delves into triggering, and now I am quite good at it. I doubt without taking a peek at that map, I woulda been lost for a reeeeal long time.
    --donut3.5--

18. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I suppose its based on your learning style, cause i had to learn [most] of the junk myself.

19. DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't see a problem with a listing of unprotected/protected maps, like the DC. I don't think it would really "support" map stealing. If anyone wants to "steal" a map, he'll do it, with or without that function.

Nevertheless, I don't really see the need for such a function because you're already able to see which maps are protected or not (although it's not in a list). And if you really want to learn from maps, open Blizzard's Demo Campaign. You even have some description in it.