• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Maps] Unprotected maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What is it with MAP STEALING!
So many maps had potential yet the map maker dropped them in a protected state before all their potential was reached.
Maps like DBZ tribute are *ç%&ed up now due to protection since the map maker lost his comp and had no unprotected version to re-edit.

It would be nice to see more high quality maps unprotected so that people may learn since it would cut the number of "OMG HOW I MAKE TRIGGER WORK" posts by about 15%.

Ofcourse maps that people spent ages working on (like DotA, GOE2, HOE ect) have the right to be protected but some realy crap maps are protected just so the author does not have someone improve the map.
Worse LOAPS are being protected just so that a rip of a rip of a rigged rip of a rip cant be ripped.

It would be nice if kind map makers could submit old versions of their maps for people to learn from since maps like GOE2 would make VERY GOOD learning recources especialy the way it uses multiboards.

Ofcourse there are always ways to tell a rip from an orignal.
1. DL from the orignal map makers recomended link and dont join versions with a file name like "Gennis[[[12]]] o[3]f E[LEET]mpires 1.[1][8][4]8"
2. Do not host rigged unoffical versions.
3. NEVER play rigged unoffical versions.

If you are still worried that your map will be ripped atleast submit some of the systems it uses.

Since there are far to many people on WC3 who think "uhh its far to hard to do something like that" and would benifit from advanced systems fetured in maps.

I am awair im ranting on about protection but I feel some people are overdoing it but i do have to agree that protection is the only way to stop noobs "rigging" maps in a noob way.

And currently the map upload is down so why bother to post this topic at all LOL.

Level 3
I'm proposing that there be an unprotected section for newbs at mapmaking, let those who are more determined to edit break the protection themselves.

Vexorian said:
People don't learn from other maps.

And really, why make a section and put every map there?

People do in fact learn from other maps. It's how I learned to make maps in the first place.

And, uh, there is a good (in fact, very large) number of maps that are protected on this site.

I dunno if I got what you are poking at there. Maybe you are saying protected maps are easy enough to unprotect that it's like they are unprotected?

Level 3
I'm gonna make it as clear as I shouldve done earlier. Its a section for all those maps that have been submitted without protection. So basically all newb mapmakers can take a peek at these to develop their own maps.

Level 12
DeadDogNoGoWoof said:
Vexorian said:
People don't learn from other maps.

And really, why make a section and put every map there?

People do in fact learn from other maps. It's how I learned to make maps in the first place.

And, uh, there is a good (in fact, very large) number of maps that are protected on this site.

I dunno if I got what you are poking at there. Maybe you are saying protected maps are easy enough to unprotect that it's like they are unprotected?

Everymap is like you say "unprotected" although that's a very lame word. I would say a better word is open source.

And no, it is impossible to learn from a map, you probably can imitate a map, not like it is worth it against real learning. That's something you can only get after experimentation and stuff like that.

Level 13
I don't see a problem with a listing of unprotected/protected maps, like the DC. I don't think it would really "support" map stealing. If anyone wants to "steal" a map, he'll do it, with or without that function.

Nevertheless, I don't really see the need for such a function because you're already able to see which maps are protected or not (although it's not in a list). And if you really want to learn from maps, open Blizzard's Demo Campaign. You even have some description in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.