• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sites Views on Map Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I been Downloading many warcraft 3 maps and playing them all and before use to make my own maps. I was wondering, since I couldnt quiet find it in the rules if there at all, the sites views on instructions for unprotecting a map. I lost all my previous unprotected versions of my old maps and only have the protected. Can I ask for instructions to unprotect a map or is it not allowed here? Also I would like to know if I could get instructions to either: Unprotect another user's map for learning purposes, or I heard that you can technically not unprotect a map but take a look at all the triggers. I want to learn the way some maps did some things and get my old maps back. If the site doesnt allow such discussions then its ok, if so, point me in the right direction. Would appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

Level 6
I think the site generally frowns upon map protection because its just damaging the map.
I don't see why though especially with hacking sites out there dedicated to inserting cheats into your map.

With strict guidelines and faqs it could really help the community here with their map making as protecting involves optimization which can make your map load faster and reduce it's file size by 20-40%. One thing that's a touchy subject is the best type of protection: mpq protection because it makes it so mac users can't play your map but at the same time it makes your map nearly impossible to hack since it specifically protects your map against hacking/map recovery programs.

Level 14
I'd just like to point out that if it can be played in WC3, it can be opened by someone somewhere. Map unprotection is not permitted on the site, and consequently the staff has in the past made discussion of protection also against the rules.

Because you so kindly asked our views, I won't have you punished, but I trust you will understand when I say that this has to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.