• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map updates but threads are still closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello everybody!

Now after testing a lot of maps i've noticed that map udates in the "map" section cant be commented. I understand when a thread is closed after a while but when the users improve their map there's no way to tell them "hey great improvement - everybody should try this map!". And New users cant add ratings/comments to updated maps.

And THAT'S the reason why there are so many maps without a rating or a comment in the hives maps section - this should be changed!

A thread should be automatically reactivated/opened when there's an update.:thumbs_down:

Level 18
I don't get the problem:

- You are saying that you can't commented updated maps?
- You are saying no one can't comment updated maps?
- You are saying that rejected maps that get updated can't be commented?
- You are saying that rewieved maps that get updated can't be commented?
- You are saying something else?

Respond please as I didn't understand you =)

Level 3
- You are saying that rejected maps that get updated can't be commented?
- You are saying that rewieved maps that get updated can't be commented?

that's not what i've said :p

my english skills are too bad to explain it directly so let me give an example:

just imagine the following situation:
User called "Oklino" has uploaded his map called "HighSpeed TD". The map has been approved but got some bad critics because of the gamestyle or tower models/creep models or something else ;)

Time passes by...

The Thread is closed...

Now Oklino got back to WCIII Mapping - he changed the Map HighSpeed and updated it (uploaded the new version to the old thread) but now the thread is still closed and noone can add another rating or post a new comment about the new features :)

Additional to this a new user registers an account at the hiveworkshop. He browses the TD maps... then he may find the new version of the HighSpeed TD map. Fortunately (for oklino) he downloads it and is totally enthusiastic!! He wants to add a rating! ... oh... no comment, no rating... ok, he wants to post a comment... oh thread is closed... hmm...

You know what i mean? The only chance to get the new version commented is to create a new thread with the new version whats against the rules ;)

===========

I hope i could explain it more understandable now :)

Level 3
If your thread got closed I am sure it is okay you submit your map again if you think that it has improved enough. I am not sure thou, ask the mods.

i am not talking about MY thread. It was a fictitious example to point out that the auto-thread-closing function (thank you pyritie), should be disabled/changed/modified for the ressource section.

some map thread was closed due to controversial or locked after a period of time due to inactive
This wasnt the question in my thread so please read more carefully.

Oh yeah, that's just Ralle's auto-thread-closing script.

Maybe it should be disabled in resource sections.

i totally agree!

Level 3
Some of the thread was locked due to controversial and was best to be left at locked even if it gone through an update. Infact, some thread was locked under the author request.

sorry but i dont get what you're talking about... maybe my english skills are too bad to interpret this...

ok but if i'm right in your oppinion everything is fine like the way it is now...

So you dont think that new Hive members should have a chance to rate maps that have been uploaded before they (the new users) have registered?

So you really think that the moderators or forum admins will have time to respond to all the upcoming "reactivate my thread please" requests if there will be added a rule that says something like "if you want your new update to be replayed, just ask a mod or admin to reactivate your thread"?

And finally you think it's okay that visitors will see hundrets of unrated maps in the ressource section? That really doesnt make the decision of "which map he'll download" easier!

:thumbs_down:

But let me make another suggestion:
What about changing the WYSIWYG-Editor and move the rating buttons to it? So people who write comments wont forget to rate a map (that happened to me very often :) )

Level 31
So you really think that the moderators or forum admins will have time to respond to all the upcoming "reactivate my thread please" requests if there will be added a rule that says something like "if you want your new update to be replayed, just ask a mod or admin to reactivate your thread"?

And finally you think it's okay that visitors will see hundrets of unrated maps in the ressource section? That really doesnt make the decision of "which map he'll download" easier!

Re-open a thread take less than 10 seconds to do so.
And most of the user was rather overrated a resources or downrated a resources at purpose unlike most of the senior member we currently had, which would rate it fairly with a valid reason.

User would download the map even if the map rating was neutral as long as the description at hiveworkshop provide every necessary detail about it. The main reason why some map doesn't have anybody download it was purely simple, they give a crap description such as "RPG map, nuff said", "Best map ever" and etc etc....

Level 1
I agree with Oklino that the auto-thread-closing function , should be disabled for the ressource section. Many old threads when auto closed cannot be given comments or rating to the old threads if they are closed. the threads closed on the author's request are exception, of course.

Level 3
Re-open a thread take less than 10 seconds to do so.
And most of the user was rather overrated a resources or downrated a resources at purpose unlike most of the senior member we currently had, which would rate it fairly with a valid reason.

Due to all respect... i dont think that the raitings of all maps are fair. Let's take the map "Invasion" we were discussing. You criticized the terrain - although you obviously dont know how to make a good terrain (i've played a lot of your maps and some of them could not even compare with the given example). But that's an other topic... But after all: This map has been improved with ver1.03A and me and my friends who are not... uhm what was the english word for "genügsam"?... frugal! And they said "oh man that'll be a lot of fun at our next LAN-Party!"

And maps like "Hell TD DemonBlaze 3.0" with no new idea, bad balancing, boring tower system AND abusive content, are approved? Come on, you can't be serious!

So much for the "fair rating"...

User would download the map even if the map rating was neutral as long as the description at hiveworkshop provide every necessary detail about it. The main reason why some map doesn't have anybody download it was purely simple, they give a crap description such as "RPG map, nuff said", "Best map ever" and etc etc....

You do not really believe that, don't you? In the evening after work i dont want to read map descriptions! People want to browse the map list and their first look is at the rating! And AFTER THAT they may read the description. (i never do that because i know what a TD map is about, for example...) Some people just want to find a good map. And they need to find it quick! At every LAN-Party we are having the same problem - you cant find good maps here because a lot of maps got no rating. And people dont wanna waste time by reading all those way too wordy descriptions...

I really ask myself why i'm doing that... in the end you won't change your mind even if we were right...

@Zelda.Alex:
Thank you for beeing one of the few who understand the problem here. I was wondering if i was really that wrong...

--------

I dont understand whats going on here... There are users who are making a suggestion and all they get as an answer is "no! your idea is bad, everything is fine, **** you, i'm right". That cant be! C'mon i'm 25, i've managed a lot of software projects and this thread is no "blabla i want you to do it my way"-nonsense. We only wanted this to be a constructive thread with an idea that cant be that wrong... I'm afraid your motivation is just neglecting old-established things...

What we are talking about has got a cause and dont think people suggest changing the mentioned function just for fun!

Last edited:
Level 1
To Oklino
You might want to visit -- "http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f241/map-download-comments-closed-114967/".
In this forum Jaakko had filed a bug report of the comments closed thread after i had notified him of one of his threads being closed and that also without his knowledge. Now many have agreed that old threads should not be closed.
Ralle had said there--"I could add these forums to the exception list."

Level 31
Due to all respect... i dont think that the raitings of all maps are fair. Let's take the map "Invasion" we were discussing. You criticized the terrain - although you obviously dont know how to make a good terrain (i've played a lot of your maps and some of them could not even compare with the given example). But that's an other topic... But after all: This map has been improved with ver1.03A and me and my friends who are not... uhm what was the english word for "genügsam"?... frugal! And they said "oh man that'll be a lot of fun at our next LAN-Party!"

And maps like "Hell TD DemonBlaze 3.0" with no new idea, bad balancing, boring tower system AND abusive content, are approved? Come on, you can't be serious!

So much for the "fair rating"...

We the staff give critique of what's is good and what is wrong with the resources, it doesn't mean that we need to be better than the person just to get the right to critique their map.

Infact, some map mod/admin and ex-mod/admin doesn't have any experience in map making at all.

Does it mean a movie critique must be a good actor just to critique the actor performance in a movies?

And being approved doesn't mean anything, if a user report it. We would reject the resources, provided a good reason been given. What do you think? You think a resources approved, stay approve forever? Even the staff resources would be rejected if it was really bad.

And we have hundred of map over there, we cannot just spend 3-4 hours to review a single map. That is why we do a shallow approving by making a quick inspection over it, this shallow inspection was also part of orders by the webmaster itself.
That is why there is some bad apple out there. Do you think reviewing resources is a piece of cake? Try review The Chosen One campaign by Aeroblyctos or Castle vs Castle Flame Edition by Flame_Phoenix, you would not finish review it in 7 hours if you have the intention to give a full review.

Some user either request for another review or constantly breaking the rules with multiple upload or delete and re-upload resources, making our job much harder to be done. Instead of saying the staff is bad, awful and doesn't do the job properly. Why not try to ease our burden by helping us give a constructive critism about a map just like bounty hunter2 does?

Every staff have their own way to rate resources, some rate it due to gameplay while the other rate it due to the storyline or the uniqueness it have.

Do remember we staff doesn't get paid of what we did, what we did is for the good of this community as well. We doesn't get anything at all and guess what we usually get most of the time? Disrespect, flame, abuse and many thing else you won't imagine. If you think I am wrong in this part, tell me 1 good reason what benefict a staff could get by doing all this sort of thing.

If you think you are far more efficient than every map moderator/admin and capable to give a fair rating and full detail, I would be glad to request Ralle or Rui to give you a position as mod. But, do remember that there is not less than 5 map being submitted to hive per day. So, reviewing 1-3 map per day won't be enough to clear up the pending pages as some map could took not less than 3 hour to be review if you want to give a full detail about it.

You do not really believe that, don't you? In the evening after work i dont want to read map descriptions! People want to browse the map list and their first look is at the rating! And AFTER THAT they may read the description. (i never do that because i know what a TD map is about, for example...) Some people just want to find a good map. And they need to find it quick! At every LAN-Party we are having the same problem - you cant find good maps here because a lot of maps got no rating. And people dont wanna waste time by reading all those way too wordy descriptions...

I really ask myself why i'm doing that... in the end you won't change your mind even if we were right...

@Zelda.Alex:
Thank you for beeing one of the few who understand the problem here. I was wondering if i was really that wrong...

There you go, when we make out review and rating neutral. You complain about it and yet you whine when we give a rating that seem to be unfair?

Come on, make up your mind.

I dont understand whats going on here... There are users who are making a suggestion and all they get as an answer is "no! your idea is bad, everything is fine, **** you, i'm right". That cant be! C'mon i'm 25, i've managed a lot of software projects and this thread is no "blabla i want you to do it my way"-nonsense. We only wanted this to be a constructive thread with an idea that cant be that wrong... I'm afraid your motivation is just neglecting old-established things...

What we are talking about has got a cause and dont think people suggest changing the mentioned function just for fun!

Ralle would accept any suggestion as long as it really does give benefict. Not every suggestion would be accepted. I have provide lot's of suggestion and only 1-2 of it have been approve such as post review, rate later and Review Status map.

What makes you think there is nothing been done? We need to discuss this with other staff because them might disagree about it due to the negative impact it could have from what the suggestion does.

I agree with Oklino that the auto-thread-closing function , should be disabled for the ressource section. Many old threads when auto closed cannot be given comments or rating to the old threads if they are closed. the threads closed on the author's request are exception, of course.

Back to topic.

If thread closed at the request of the author or staff would stay lock doesn't get affected, then I am all agree about it. Else, it wasn't a good idea.

Level 3
To Oklino
You might want to visit -- "http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f241/map-download-comments-closed-114967/".
In this forum Jaakko had filed a bug report of the comments closed thread after i had notified him of one of his threads being closed and that also without his knowledge. Now many have agreed that old threads should not be closed.
Ralle had said there--"I could add these forums to the exception list."

@Zelda.Alex

first good news today...

------------------

I'll write an answer the other post tomorrow (3am is a bit too late for those things...)

Status
Not open for further replies.