• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

map unable to save and all imports become 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hey I've had this problem for a few days now and I've reinstalled a good 5 times but while i'm world "editing" there will come a point where i'll try and save but the world editor will tell me "unable to save map (map name) " so then i'll use the "save as" option and save it in another folder for example the map that can't save is on my desktop so when I press save in world edit it is unable to save the map to the desktop where the map is so i'll save it to an other folder using the "save as" option but then when I open the map I saved using "save as" all my imports are completely broken beyond repair their all set to 0 and are invisible and the map that was on the desktop has now disappeared off the face of the earth.

as i'm sure any war3 modder can see this is a living HELL any help will be appreciated I have the bnet digital copied installed in C:\Warcraft III I run world edit as admin but this problem started when I had it not running in admin so i'm very much at a loss :s

I have the bnet digital copied
What do you mean? Is it official?

---

Are you using JNGP editor? It has a folder with plenty of backups of tested maps, you might be lucky. Else you might try to look into the "Test" folder inside your Wacrarft folder for the latest tested map.

If you could restore your map you could attach it here for us to have a look at it.

Level 9
What do you mean? Is it official?

---

Are you using JNGP editor? It has a folder with plenty of backups of tested maps, you might be lucky. Else you might try to look into the "Test" folder inside your Wacrarft folder for the latest tested map.

If you could restore your map you could attach it here for us to have a look at it.

yes it is official, and no I don't have jngp now though I did have the same problem with it and i'll try to find the map

EDIT//Map attached and some thing I forgot to mention is the map that becomes un-save-able I can't move, rename or copy paste and when I restart my pc the map is gone

Attachments

• Warcraft Enchanted SET (2).w3x
    580.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds permission related. Running editor as administrator is not a solution since it causes permission inflation. Run editor as a user and give your user account full control over the WC3 install folder "C:\Warcraft III" and all its contents. Make sure any file anti-virus is turned to low (not too strict) as sometimes that can lock temporary files that are in use. The imports are discarded if it cannot make the required temporary files in the Warcraft III folder.

Level 9
Sounds permission related. Running editor as administrator is not a solution since it causes permission inflation. Run editor as a user and give your user account full control over the WC3 install folder "C:\Warcraft III" and all its contents. Make sure any file anti-virus is turned to low (not too strict) as sometimes that can lock temporary files that are in use. The imports are discarded if it cannot make the required temporary files in the Warcraft III folder.

I've unchecked the run as admin in the WE compatibility tab and to give my account full control over the folder well my account is the owner account and admin so don't I already have full control? and now that I think about it the problem could be related to the AVG I installed (now unistalled) I will see if the problem persists then report back AND THANK YOU for helping I was worried my case was too hopeless but atleast I got a Doctor helping me >:D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
well my account is the owner account and admin so don't I already have full control?
Your account has privilege to invoke admin actions but is itself still just a normal user. This is for some extra security so that you do not elevate user level tasks and files to admin level unintentionally.

Some times Warcraft III installs with read only user permission. This causes errors when it tries to write the temporary files while saving a map in the editor. This is actually a bug/non-compliance with Warcraft III as it should be using OS configured temporary folders for temporary files rather than its program folder.

Level 9
Your account has privilege to invoke admin actions but is itself still just a normal user. This is for some extra security so that you do not elevate user level tasks and files to admin level unintentionally.

Some times Warcraft III installs with read only user permission. This causes errors when it tries to write the temporary files while saving a map in the editor. This is actually a bug/non-compliance with Warcraft III as it should be using OS configured temporary folders for temporary files rather than its program folder.

I checked the folder and it was indeed under read only so I've unchecked to make the whole folder not read only however every time I go back to view it properties its read only again

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I checked the folder and it was indeed under read only so I've unchecked to make the whole folder not read only however every time I go back to view it properties its read only again
That is not what I am referring to and only applies to existing files.

I am referring to under the "Security" tab. There you can see folder permissions. You need to make sure that the Users group has Full Control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read and Write permissions over the folder and all folders/files it contains.

Level 9
That is not what I am referring to and only applies to existing files.

I am referring to under the "Security" tab. There you can see folder permissions. You need to make sure that the Users group has Full Control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read and Write permissions over the folder and all folders/files it contains.
ok I've done whats shown in the screen shot below and so far everything seems to work I've been importing and saving for the last hour and have gotten no problems

Attachments

• Screenshot (407).png
    Screenshot (407).png
    150.1 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.