• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Presentation: Wc3 Bomberman (With Screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, I'm gonna use this forum to present my new map Warcraft Bomberman. When trying this map, please send suggestions and critics to me via PM or in this forum.

The map is a warcraft 3 version of the old sega/dos/nintendo game "bomberman" using the wc3 graphics engine to create a 2D-alike impression: The camera looks straight down onto the typical maze, filled with its players and rocks.

scrshot02.jpg

I don't need to explain the principle of this map if you know the original game, but for those who don't I'll give a crash course: 4 Players start in a maze, each in a different corner. There they must make their way through the maze by planting bombs that can destroy rocks. By random, rocks may drop bomb upgrades upon being destroyed. Your target is kill other players by trapping them so they get killed by a bomb. When there's only one player left, a new round begins.

Each player controls his "unit"/player by using the ARROW KEYS to move and the "A KEY" to plant bombs. You may have seen other maps where anything concerning keyboard movement was desastrous or at least buggy or laggy. But not this map! All players move fluently and as far as I know bugfree (v0.91 ;) so I'm really proud of the movement engine.

scrshot01.jpg

Online tests now seem to work fine (speaking of v0.91), there are a few minor bugs, but they don't really disturb gameplay. However, I'm happy when I recieve bugreports! Thx for playing,

klovadis

Level 7
nice, though i kinda already did this 1.5 to 2.5 years ago... (er, whenever arrow key movement was first introduced) i just never released it cause arrow keys are laggy online which basically screws over any chance of fast reflexes

but good work on a personal merit

Level 7
note, bugs:

-
BOMBERMA
N
is written at the beginning instead of BOMBERMAN in 1 line

-items are not removed on new-round

-bomb planting is based on your 'new location' and not one where you are presently which it should be, hence if you're running and planting bombs you'll often end up planting in the square ahead of you (though not blocking you) even though you are in the previous square

Level 6
yes, I also played this map, one thing that I think would make it a little more involved, is if it were a little faster paced. Console versions of bomber man i remember being really fast paced and hecktic. Also im not sure if you can accomplsh that, like raptor said, with laggy keyboard movements. But good work none the less = )

Level 4
Thx for feedbacking! Something to say about the movement: On bnet, only very few people really complained about laggy movement. I know that it's not perfect, so I'll keep working on it.

@Raptor:
Thanks for writing down the bugs, at my computer the intro shows "bomberman" correctly; I will fix that anyways. I will rewrite the bomb dropping thing so that bug won't happen, and the items are on the new version on my computer already fixed. Thx!

@Draqz:
You are right, the units move quite slow. But the big problem is that wc3 only allows a unit speed of 522, which I already reached.. If you know how to improve that, I'd be happy to know!

klovadis

Level 6
that was 522? whoa, seemed slower. Well if you did cap it, the only way i can think of making it faster, is just scaling the size of everything down. Make the units smaller, the blocks smaller, everything smaller. Same speed, but shorter distance to move? just a thought.

Level 7
klovadis said:
-=Emergenzy=- said:
Hold down shift and dubble clik, then you can change the movement speed to what you want.

Dammit -=Emergenzy=- you're right!! Thanks a lot, I've been looking for ways to increase the speed of units, but I never found out how!

Thx, klovadis

no really, you can put whatever value you want into the field but its capped at 522

EDIT: wow i guess i'm mistaken, i forgot you had to change the unit cap in gameplay constants as well, well i learned something new

EDIT2: nope, whoops my bad my eyes were deceiving me, its really capped at 522, sorry

Level 1
Hey, klovadis, can you make a download link to a place instead of wc3sear, like on epicwar.com or something, please? All the wc3sear games i try to dl now go to a room saying the address doesnt exist anymore. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.