• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Making Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Just a few questions.

Q1. How do i make a -save, - load system?

Q2. How do i make secret chars? for example "To play as this guy you must beat the game with this guy"

Q3. How do i make abilitys? For example a Ability that gives Agi , MS.

Q4. How do i make a skill that turns you into something? Ex Turn into a Archer to shoot a bow, Then back into a Footmen for melee.

Q5. How do i make a spawned hero from a tavern go anywhere other then infront of the tavern?

Thats it thank you

Level 11
For:

A3: You go to object editor and near the top, there should be a tab for abilities, and just make a custom ability for agility

A4: you could use a trigger that each time you use an ability you would turn into a unit (that you want to be) and then you can make an ability on the unit you made that would return him to his normal form.

Q5: make a region around the tavern and when that hero enters it he will be moved to the area you want him to go using triggers.

Level 3
Oh okay thanks! Just umm i dont really understand question 3 >.>. Also i have 2 new questions.

Q6. How do i permanently lock teams (allies) without having to make people take team 1 , 2, 3 ,etc at the beginning of game or having to press F11 and Allie?

Q7. How do i have the tavern open without having a person near it? Ex : Can choose hero without having a peasant, whisp , etc around

Q8. How do i make a normal person a hero? Ex: Footman = Hero

Level 18
Q1. Check the Spells Section. It has several save/load systems in both GUI as JASS. If you want to make your own, check them out to see how they made them.

Q2. Make a Game Cache. When the game is finished, set a Boolean variable named GameFinished = True and add that variable in your Game Cache. At each level start, open the Game Cache and check if GameFinished = True. If it is: Unlock your secret character.

Q3. Just like he said: Go to the Object Editor and click the Abilities tab. You'll be able to make an ability there based on a Blizzard ability. Keep in mind that you should never add 2 abilities to 1 unit that are based on the same Blizzard ability, or the unit will use a random ability of those 2.

Q4. There's another thread going on right now in this same Section. There's no real solution yet and I don't know if there's a solution, but I suggest you keep an eye out for that thread's replies.

Q5. Don't use Geazergimli2's idea. That would cause any unit to come near the tavern (which will be likely to happen, since you want them to buy heroes there) to be moved as well. I suggest you make a trigger that activates when a unit is trained, and if it's a hero from that tavern, you move it to the location you want.

Q6. Go to Scenario (in the upper tray along with File, Edit, View, etc.) and choose "Force Properties...". Check the boxes named "Use Custom Forces" and "Fixed Player Settings". The first will allow you to set forces, making forces allied, hostile or neutral to eachother and the second prevents players from changing this.

Q7. Make a dummy unit near the tavern for each player. A dummy unit is a unit that's incapable of anything except for what you want it to do and has no model. If there's a dummy unit near the tavern, there's a unit in range to buy the hero, but there's no model.

Q8. There's a button for that in the Object Editor. If you want the unit to get a glow though, you need to edit the model, but I suggest you don't do that, since you'll have to import the new model which takes file size, and there's a limit for file sizes to be hosted on battle.net of 4,1MB.

Level 3
Q8. Whats the button?

{EDIT}
I dont really understand Q2 Can you explain it kind of better i made the Gamecache named : GameFinished i set it to Boolean and made it true now wat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
There's a tutorial around here somewhere about intertwined map switching, posted by Ralle. I suggest you read it to understand the use, saving and loading of Game Cache's.

For Q8: Sorry, that was for something else. To make a unit a hero, base it off a Blizzard hero and give it the unit's model instead of the hero's model.

Status
Not open for further replies.