• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a tornado effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Q1: How do I make a Tornado-like effect make up with dummy units?
For an example, this shape but with more varieties.
- refer to nothing
= refer to the dummy

-----=-----=-----
------=---=------
-------=-=-------
--------=---------

*Those dummies needs to be rotating*

Q2(Solved): Can I modify an ability's AoE with trigger?

Q3(Solved): Can I modify an unit's base stats(Hp/Mp/Damage/Armor) based on a Hero's Stats(Str/Agi/Int)?

Q4: How do I make a Chain-Shadow Strike ability which bounce off after 5 seconds?

Q5(Solved): How to make a dummy projectile-ability which will chase it's target?

Q6: If I have 2 set of trigger, each does the same thing. But Set 1 will use each trigger to turn on the following trigger on. While Set 2 will use trigger that check boolean that turned on in the previous trigger. Which set will be more efficient/lagless?

Q7(Solved): How do I make an ability that will change into another when it will casted? Sometimes I've got a bug that will will change to another without the spell casted.

Q8(Solved): In a loop-moving trigger. How should I do to make a unit looks flying up and then down and finally ends at the end point?
Example:
I cast a spell to move target from it's position to mine. And make it fly up and down. How should I do the trigger?

Q9: Is it possible to make an effect which looks like A unit is grappling B unit?

Q10: Is it possible to detect if a unit is Impact on the ground(after falling down)?

Q11: What is "Sin" and "Cons"?

This is all I wanted to ask for now. Hopefully anyone could help me. Thanks.

Edit 18/6: Added 3 question, 2 solved.

Last edited:
Level 7
Q2 no
Q3 kinda you can increase there current Hp(not their max) same with mana for damage you can add an ability that increases the units damage, same for armor(with jass you might be able to do more)
but you can increase hero stats(Aggil/Stren?Intel)
Q4 with triggering
Q5 by ordering it too attack the target, or by setting the target to unit and moving the projectile towards a the targets position.
Q6set 1
Q7 use a unit event called Unit starts the effect of an ability and use triggers
Q8 you could set up an equation like this Flying heigth = -1 x ((the Hight you want)/(Distance from MidPoint to projectPos)+1)
of course the projectile would bounce up and down, the best way would be to use one of the projectile systems on the hive

Level 7
These are all pretty hardout questions. The only one I think I might be able to answer is Q7:

Make a trigger that, when an ability is casted it removes the casted ability from the unit, then adds another ability to the unit. These two abilities must then also have the same position for their buttons.

Here's a simple example with default units. When a Sorceress casts Invisibility, it is replaced with Dispel Magic.

• Spell Replacement
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Invisibility
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Dispel Magic to (Casting unit)
      • Unit - Remove (Ability being cast) from (Casting unit)
I don't know why but it only seems to work if you add the new ability before removing the old one, the other way round doesn't work.

Q2 no
Q3 kinda you can increase there current Hp(not their max) same with mana for damage you can add an ability that increases the units damage, same for armor(with jass you might be able to do more)
but you can increase hero stats(Aggil/Stren?Intel)
Q4 with triggering
Q5 by ordering it too attack the target, or by setting the target to unit and moving the projectile towards a the targets position.
Q6set 1
Q7 use a unit event called Unit starts the effect of an ability and use triggers
Q8 you could set up an equation like this Flying heigth = -1 x ((the Hight you want)/(Distance from MidPoint to projectPos)+1)
of course the projectile would bounce up and down, the best way would be to use one of the projectile systems on the hive

Maybe you should elaborate your answers.
For example, your answer to Q4 is "with triggering".:vw_wtf: I think he knows that (the whole thread is about triggering), what he wants is to know what triggers to use.

Level 10
puggsoy said:
These are all pretty hardout questions. The only one I think I might be able to answer is Q7:

Make a trigger that, when an ability is casted it removes the casted ability from the unit, then adds another ability to the unit. These two abilities must then also have the same position for their buttons.

Here's a simple example with default units. When a Sorceress casts Invisibility, it is replaced with Dispel Magic.

I've alrady tried that solution before. It didn't work. It just remove the spell before it's fully casted.

Level 7
Are you sure? Notice that in my trigger I remove the ability after the spell has been casted, using this event:

• Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
Make sure you use that, and not "begins channeling/casting".

Level 7
elaborating q4, by using a drone system for the creature, then after 5 seconds making it "jump" to the other target using a projectile system. you would have to do a little bit more then that but that's the main part you would have to do.

edit: Q1 add storm crow(or is it the other one?) then use animation set unit flying height, (that will get the and down) then create a group of them closer(have these ones have low flying height) save the distance etc...(do this for however many levels for the tornado so i would suggest 5-6), and save the created units as a group of an invisible dummy that is the center. i would use hashtables for this spell.

Last edited:
Q2 - yes assuming you trigger the ability too, though the aoe targeter won't be changed
Q3 - the hero already does that and you can set it via the OE... if its another unit, you will probably need to use BonusMod to modify the maxhp/mana
Q4 - triggers
Q5 - use the projectile libraries on the hive (I would suggest Berb's Projectile)

Status
Not open for further replies.