• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Making Clan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
It sounds like an fun map but will you realy do it? theres so many people with their great ideas that never finnish their work.

anyway, you should have goblins as an race cuz they ownzorz
so does gnomes
and before you start working take your time to decide races and things like that so u don't change your mind when it's to late.

Level 4
You see the project will be easier to finish because there will be many people doing it. Most single person projects never get done...

Of course we won't start right away... I love the idea of the blacksmith but I think we should keep it simple to start out and not make too many races than we can handle. 3-4 races are plenty enough.

Red Lord don't worry bout the web site yet we can do that in a long time.

So red lord do you wanna some of the dwarven smith classes?

I'll do elves because I had a good thought of some cool things for assassins, beastmasters, and druids.

Level 4
What I was thinking is each race could have 5 classess. So dwarves could be say: blacksmith, armororer, Miner, Stormreaver, Warrior.

So what we could do is make 5 different heros for each race. Or 5 different heros for each race and give them different abillitys for the different classes.

So what I was thinking red lord is if you could make some dwarven abilities for some of the classess.

Sorry, ive been working on my map so much i havent checked up on the soon-to-be clan...WOW looks like u already have a project...(?)
So has the clan already been made? without me :'(
anywho whats name etc b/c ill join up...but personally i dont like your idea...its nice and all but not neccisarily revolutionary, we should definatly pursue something thats new, and up-in-your-face COOL! but for the time being yeah we should stick something simple, and get our feels worked out about whos good at what/whos NOT good at what more importantly

I nay have a few ideas up my sleeve...
but first lets get this out, and make ourselves known...

A few minor brainstroms could be...

1)a game where its almost like chess, where the map is blank and you take turns moving youe armies around... Differant ranks of armies etc, making it WC3 Chess so to speak.

2) prehaps a game of not war (HOW?!?) and mere polotics, where its all negotiations etc. We could do this say in the time of neapolean, and you must work your way diplomaticly to survive.

3)if its possible, maybe a DDay map, with 3rd person veiws and theres a command to fire. Almost like Living saving private Ryan so to speak, so theres germans mounted on machine guns, and then the players charge up with their guns. If pulled of corect it could be insane. Terrain wont be too hard, special effects are realitivy easy, problem is all of the camera views, and sence of realism that the map would need to go anywhere.

Those are a vwie ideas for Hopefully-not-so-far into the future. If the future clan memebers like/dislike any of these say so, and if we come to a consencus of one prehaps well do it. Thats my veiws... :)

Level 2
There are going to be two ways to start this clan- one being as i mentioned... starting light and gain popularity- (and figuring out does & don'ts) and slowly gain reputation. (i.e. lesser maps but if improved could be really cool)
-OR-
two, we make one awesome map and make every1 expect the rest of our maps to be just as awesome. which of course is going to be really hard. but if you guyz want to work on an rpg i have a few outliners.

A) Goal: What is the point of the game?

B) Storyline: What happens to the Characters?

C) Theme: What are you going to base the map off of?

(Try checking out Magic: The Gathering or Warhammer Fanstay Game, they might give you ideals)

D) Names of Characters & Places: this might not sound important but all professional looking maps have names that are not complicated and easy to pronounce but not too retarded... (i.e. don'ts: Jim, Bob, That Dude with that Hair, Xiaxirian Itrianis)

Some ideals:

Make the map like "Water Wars" in which units may submerge and fight in a totally new environment underwater. (we can mess with this a little bit by making another ablity that lets the characters move from "plane" to "plane" while fighting and runing)

Make it possible to change weapons- from a sword to a rifle to etc... perhaps by typing somethingl like
"-options" to bring up choices of weapons.

Make heroes "evolve" or change forms when they reach a certain level much alike to that of starcraft. haven't seen much of that since they put in "hero" levels. eh...

Sounds good, however none of those features are not new, like the change weapons feature is already in Helms Deep, and the submerdged water thing....God i dont even wanna touch that, but u did make a very good point, the way to make this clan work, and i fully agree with you, i think its not good to start light...It can backfire and become "This clan makes bad maps, this is a n00b clan" so the best way is to make 1 map that we wont release, find the "does and don'ts, then go for the kill with a major project

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try my idea it will make you popular for sure
A fun and orignal Rpg would have alot of hero choices.
Like undead elves humans and creeps
then you can slect a sub groupe
Like Undead- skeltons and undead (The people them selves)
Then you get personalities which have diffrent looks ore siz es or effects on them(they also have diffrent names 1 per personality).
Now to profeshions/abilites
You change profesions during game with no peenlity.
Each profesion has 4 uniqe abilites and 1 special all learned abilite.
each race+subrace has its own unique 2-6 spells.
Then each personality will have its own abilites again 2-6 which will make it realy fun.
All heros are to be reasonablly ballenced.
whith profesions like archer and sword fighter and dark mage when you pick up an ite like Sword a modle of a sword apears on the persons hand.

And this clan Realy needs modlers.

Level 4
I think we should do RPG first because its the easyest team project than maybe try something off-da-wall insane like the dday thing.

Another idea I was thinking is that like in battleships your ship doesn't have attack without weapons. IMO Everyone unless your charecter is designed to be a no weapon charecter should have there damage decided by weapons. And archers can only carry bows, warriors like swords, maces, clubs... And than there can be some charecters like maybe druids, and things that don't and can't use most weapons but have an attack on there own. This would make it more realistic and cool. And we could make the weapons have alot of damage.

Same with armor. Everyone has to wear different types of armor.

Level 5
If we want to maka a Clan that the people will like, then we've must do a good RPG map.
I agree with Dr. Super Good! That will people like, but it's a lot of work.
First we need to know if it's the RPG map, that we want!
After that, we have to gather members and give a job to everyone.

About RPG: It would be good, if there will be special things like blacksmithing weapons from steel bars, making potions from herbs on alchemytable and so on.
It would be realy nice to place some NPC's that will tell you someting or give you a quest.
I want to say: THIS MAP MUST ROCK!!!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That comes to my idea for other features.
Each subrace can do spicific jobs like dwarfs and humans blacksmithing and night elves can only become herblists and animal trainers, undead can ge necromantic (creats items of necromacy and upgrde them), and bloodelves magerary (you have to be orignal with the names) which produces items of mages (like sumon water elemental).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
your weapons idear sounds good but what it should be eachweapon has its own modle/icon.
The modles should uses no more than 25-50 poligons and a reasonable quality skin (they weapons modles should be 10-5 KB in size this is to lower file size and reduce lag. shields should have fiew poligons yet a realy good skin so they look nice on the modle.
P.S. We realy need a modler (I DO NOT HAVE THE TOOLS TO MODLE)

Level 5
If you want to host map on B.net, it must bu big 4MB maxinum.
We can't afford good models, that's true. We will have to do a models with realy few poligons like Dr. Super Good said!
Can we use one model with difrent skins?
Because we can create shield with difrent textures, and we use little memory on that way.
Let say that you create a model of BUCKLER, and you create 4 diffrent textures for it (wood, steel, gold, mithril)
If we can create one model with more textures, then this is good!

Level 2
we have about 5-6 ppl rite?

I think we figured out the theme of the map. its like a lotr theme except not lotr right? You should really check out the warhammer & MtG stuff, it'll help you brainstrom on wut units to create and stuff like it. We need a few jobs i'll just say a few.

Terrain: (2-3 ppl)
Trigger: (2-3 ppl)
Storyline: (just one)
Unit Creation/modlers: (2-3 ppl)

Since we only have 6 ppl we all have to only at least 2 jobs until we can get more ppl.

i want to be storyline.... that's unless any of ya'll want it.

Level 4
I kinda was just thinking it would be better if we didn't have to stick to a theme and just make our own.

I'll do unit creation and help with terrain.

I'm ok with triggers but if were gonna make this awesome than i'll leave it to somebody whos really good at it.

Level 4
Oh and I say we do terrain first. I'll start it out some if you want.

I saw we all make a few basic terrains and than well see which one we like best?

I'll go ahead and start one. Make sure you make it epic too.

Level 2
lets make a sample "terrain" map of our styles then we can let every1 dl it and vote on which style is the best then we can work on from there.

styles should be like small maps say- 64x64 so it quick and easy to open. make sure you include other bits of info like starting points or where certain quest you want in the game. deadline- 3 days maybe?

lets meet up in b.net and let each other dl it and discuss this over. ok?

Level 4
On the line of items I think we should make most stuff on this in items. Items is sorta what got dota famous so waht I was thinking is that the different items could do differnt stuff.

Sword- Dictates most of your damage
Shield- Dictates your armor and stuff like that
Armor-Dictates your armor and stuff like that
Boots- Speed

The other two slots could be pretty random stuff like potions...

I'm wondering if thers a way you can make it so the charecters can only carry 1 sword, 1 armor, 1 shield, 1 boots...

That would be awesome.

I say on sunday night we get together. I will be gone from friday night - sunday afternoon...

Sounds good, the two things im... above average at are Triggers and Terrain. so i can fill one of those slots. The only thing i can think of is that we may make some RPG thats way TOO complex... adding features is fun, and creative but if its some abstract "80 differant options thing" you drive away almost every1 with its complexity. Likely wont happen, but im saying ya gotta KISS (keep it simple stupid) and LOVE (leave out virtually everything) to make a good map

Level 4
I think everyone together should do the idea/directer thing.

On sunday night lets all bring our terrains on b.net.

Whats your name on there? mines ipawnedu as well.

I cant host though so i'll have to give it to somebody on aim before the game: my aims heyimcrazy2

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I do not like doing terains and the terain I finished was for the test for who can do the best terain I specilize on doodads and triggers and bug fixing.

P.S. Each personality shell have its onw abilite (Ability spell book) with some spells for that personality, diffrent person difrent spells in that ability.

Level 4
So you wanna be incharge of triigers along with breadmaster?

You guys could make the triggers {prob last} than easily copy past the trigger categories/folders into the map.

Its very simple to Copy paste triggers if you put them in a category.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ok but first I need a terain template (basic terain with no detale) I also need some of the items and units done, although I can do them my self my self.

Now we should open a thread for idears for names for each personality.

P.S. It is an ability based on it that the hero will have when you become him based on spell book (To the left of the learn ability button)

Level 2
ok here's an ideal that might work

slot one: primary offense i.e. swords axes bows etc...
(it can be used, when activated it'll bring up an option that asks you what kind of weapon you want to wield and the weapons u have of that type)

slot two: secondary defense i.e. shields wards etc..
(also can be used, when activated does the same thing as the preivious)

slot three: primary defense i.e. body armor
(also as preivious)

slot four: misscellaneous i.e. boots, gloves
(also as preivious)

Last 2 slots are open for potions.

You can drop items but you auto equipt another item instead to fill the space. when u want to get the item back just simply drop a potion to clear some space and click on the item. then it's added to your inv in the options.

does this sound too hard? i think it's possible to accomplish this.

Level 2
for personality... do you mean like

aggresive, passive, & defensive etc..

or

subborn, triumphant, etc...

or

ranged, melee, magic, etc...

Level 2
groans*...

none of ya'll can host?

lucky for u, i can. another plus is that i have dsl. :D

too bad i don't have aim :(

so... just send it via email

my online screen name is matchbokromance and i'm usually on 11pm to 2am when i have the feel time =P.

Level 4
Its so easy to get aim that a 2yr old could download it. Just got to aim.com and try and get a screen name.

Email isn't as good because they have bad file size limits. Aims really quick and easy to spread files.

I think we should start out with 3 Races:
Human
Elves
Undead

Than we will have 4 classes for each one:
Human- Warrior, Knights, Dwarven Smith, Paladin

Elves- Beastmaster, Druid, Assassin, Priestess

Undead- Necromancer, undead warrior, Vampire, Nebruerin.

Thers a different hero for each sub-race. Personalitys should dictate stuff like strength-agility-intelligence-hitpoints-speed and mana.

So there should be about a few of these

-agressive would give make your stats a strength, and speed guy and melee attack.
-defensive would give strength and hitpoints and melee attack.
-spellcaster would give your guy intelligence and mana and a magic attack.
-hunter would give your guys agility and speed and a melee attack.
-sharpshooter would give your guy agility and mana and a ranged attack.
-alchemist would give your guy intelligence and hitpoints and a ranged attack.

So first ingame it should come up with a dialogue choosing what race to be. than once you pick your race you get another dialogue chossing what sub-class.

Once in the game there should be a way through a tome or something to decide waht personality you should be. At your starting point you should pick from any tome which would be a personality.

There should be a different hero for each sub-class race and the personality decides the agility, strength, intel,speed, hp, and mana. And the weapons, armor, and stuff like that decide the damage and armor of your guy.

Whaddua guys think? I think we should start making the heros don't worry bout stats just give them 4 abilitys and the 5th one you get from your personality.

Lets do it!

Level 5
I can do dwarven hero and some icons.
But should we use new spells using JASS code? I don't know ho to do it. For the start, I will try to create dwarven hero using model of MountainKing with skin that I'll create.

Another idea: I don't like forging in the form of spell!
I want to create blacksmithing like that: You should mine some ore in the mountains or anywhere else, then you will have to smelt ore in furnace and the finaly you should make weapon on the anvil.
What do you say? I will try to create a model for ore and anvil.

Ok Ok sounds good...i understand all the ideas now, i guess im on the trigger squad (haha) so ill be helping u Dr. And i suppose i might as well work on a terrain. BTW opening cinematics always spice up a game. I'll just show a sample of what i can do when we exchange maps. :) But the thing were ur personality just gives u a spell book? thats just from Final fantasy Tactics. If thats what you mean, or i misunderstand the idea. Either way, this'll work out.

PS i cannot host either heh :?

Level 16
I have an little idea for an hero, it should be some kind of hero using streangh as main attribute, the thing about him is that he should use streangh instead of mana when he uses his abilitys. That would make him weak after an using an ability but ofcourse he regains the strangh again. It would probobly be hard to do this but not imposible. anyway it would have been realy cool.

And about the hero classes, I would sugest something more uniqe then Warriors, Knights, Paladins and things like that. They all already exists in TFT.
when you play it you want to feel this map is this map and not any halfassed map with crappy heros and ideas.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I say we start out with 4 races.
Orc, Undead, Elves, Humans.
The sub races shell be
Orc - Troll, Orc, Turen
Elves - Blood elf, High elf, Night elf
Human - Human, Dwarf
Undead - Undead, Skelton

The profesions will be.
Worier, swordsman, wizard, archer, parterzen, Priest, Animal Trainer
Unique ones will be
Undead - Black mage
Skelton - Skeltal Mage (smilar to black mage but has some diffrent spells)
Human - Palidan (Swordman combined with Priest)
Dwarf - Gunman
High elf - Enginer
Blood elf - Mage (better wizard)
Night Elf - Druid (Transforms but has no equiptment), Priestess (priest with nature spells)
Orc - Grunt, Shareman
Troll - Which Docter
Tauren - Wacker (carries a mace and runs fast)

Personalites
They add a bit of charicter to your hero.
The sizes vary as well as the stats by a bit.
They can have abilites like help that heals and heavy blow which does extra damage (Fire arrows)
They can have abilites like Dum (lower mana and slower mana regeneration) Or smart (the oppsit) and weak (same as dum excpt with HP) and strong (the oppsit)
The abilites vary on the person that creates the units.

Level 4
Dr. Super good that sounds cool but I like the personalitys that I said a lil better cuz I tested it and it really works cool. You get a tome for whatever personality you want and it sets your stats, speed, hp, and mana to whatever personality you had.

The proffesions I like from you though.

So whatever there profesion they get the abillitys from that profesion right? And theres a model from each race for each profesion.

I made a sweeet terrain though. I gotta show u guys.

Level 4
Ok so the people we got working on this map so far are:

Ipawnedu-Units/terrain
Redlord-Units/Icons/skins
Dr Super Good- Triggers/units?
Juice_F - Units?
The Prophet of Bread - Triggers/cinematic
Giantgrowth - units/Jass?

If you wanted to do something else or something you ddin't wanna do just tell me. This is just from memory.

Remember other people on the boards you can still help out!!!!

I say we continue ideas and officially start next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.