• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Making 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an idea from me:

How about making a list of general advice for map-makers?

This couldn't exactly fit into tutorial section, so I figured, I will post it here.
So, here are some leads from me:

#1 Do not start a mega-project
Simply because it is very likely you won't finish it. Rather start something that is small, but also is playable, and can be further expanded. Great examples are Hero Arenas. You can start of from creating few heroes with nice abilities and some good terrain. Then you can add more heroes. Then some events, like creeps attacks, boss attacks, weather events, or something similar. Later you can add some items and shops and then some original stuff.

#2 If you want at least one approved map, but keep getting rejected...
Make a melee map. And yes, this may sounds easy, but it isn't. Don't just put some basic terrain, few bases and creeps and call it a map. First open several Blizzard or Hive's melee maps and study them. What is it that they have in common? When you find out, make a melee map and post it. Who knows, it might get approved.

#3 Do not start hiring people as soon as you start a project
It is okay to ask people for advice or few models and icons - that is what Requests, World Editor Help Zone and Triggers & Scripts are for - but to start hiring people to do major coding or terraining or modeling for your project although you might not even finish is really irresponsible. First do stuff you can do yourself, then hire people to do stuff you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.