• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Making the wc3 map limit, obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Yes you read the title correctly.

What would you say if I told:

That I know a way to effectively make any wc3 map (even hosted on BNet) have an unlimited size?

Where custom imports would no longer be an issue...

I'm guessing you'd tell me i'm crazy or that it requires hacking wc3, no?

:cute:

Well give me some feedback throughout the day (on the above question, am I mad, a time-waster or perhaps someone worth checking back on later) and if life shines upon us all brightly enough I will run some final tests on my theory when I get home from school tonight and post up a tutorial if it works... :cool:

I'm currently 95% certain it will work, in all cases. I need to try it on a second computer and then over LAN, I admittably can't try BNet as I only have one wc3 key but I have hosted a game (with ai) on BNet and it worked fine... so with any luck :thumbs_up:

See you all later! The suspense is killing me :xxd:

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong area, was really unsure.. it's about the editor but not asking for help. :/

EDIT: The Tutorial is now done and can be found here http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/create-8mb-map-mui-161948/#post1515756

Last edited:
Level 15
Defense of the Ancient latest map size is about 6,45 mb.

Making bigger maps than the 8mb is impossible, even with wc3 hacking as you mentioned before cause you have to hack all the people's pc who wanna join your game and not only your wc3.

If you try to host a bigger map than 8mb you are unable to.

*There is however something else that you can try, and maybe share with a small community or some friends.
You can modify the war3.mpq(this is the file where all standar textures,models etc of wc3 exist),i mean that you can add more models,icons etc that you have downloaded there and then use those icons,models etc like the wc3 has them in default.

Of course your friends or those who wanna play your map should also download the new war3.mpq.

However, make sure you keep a back-up of your normal war3.mpq just in case.

Level 45
Defense of the Ancient latest map size is about 6,45 mb.

Making bigger maps than the 8mb is impossible, even with wc3 hacking as you mentioned before cause you have to hack all the people's pc who wanna join your game and not only your wc3.

If you try to host a bigger map than 8mb you are unable to.

*There is however something else that you can try, and maybe share with a small community or some friends.
You can modify the war3.mpq(this is the file where all standar textures,models etc of wc3 exist),i mean that you can add more models,icons etc that you have downloaded there and then use those icons,models etc like the wc3 has them in default.

Of course your friends or those who wanna play your map should also download the new war3.mpq.

However, make sure you keep a back-up of your normal war3.mpq just in case.

Apparently this is illegal, also. If blizzard finds out, they ban your key.

Level 20
:p home from school now, will run some final tests before I type up a tutorial...

No it's nothing to do with MPQ's or 'hacking' wc3... and in a certain way, the download time will be less...

:) Wait and see!

EDIT: Works in singleplayer and LAN - Confirmed. Doing a tutorial now.

Last edited:
Level 20
wait a moment :/

there is no limit for lan maps and singleplayer maps is it?

The limit only applies to bnet and so your tutorial should be useless

Singleplayer, as far as I know has no limit.

LAN does indeed share the BNet limit and no - it's useful because It ALLOWS BNet/LAN ;)

EDIT:
But nevermind, we don't really care because 8mb is already much.

Yes, this is true. It's not for everyone, but it's there for those who need it. I know for a fact someone on wc3 campaigns made some really HQ models which easily add up to near 200mb but would be great for an RPG/Cinematic.

Tutorial is now done, check first post.

Last edited:
Level 15
Single players doesn't have any limits.By the way when you play single players you can't understand much of the map cause it also reduces lags etc.

For example, if you have a map with major leaks in single players it might not lag at all, while in lan/b.net you will experience lags/spikes etc.

8mb is enough for the 99% of the maps, those above the limit are those who are making big campaigns/rpg's, and of course the careless new map makers.

Apparently this is illegal, also. If blizzard finds out, they ban your key.
And that's really hard for them to find out, but you are right, you're gonna get banned if they find it out.

Oh well I did it as well to compress my wc3. I removed all sounds of the mpq which made it about 400mb smaller. Is that illegal?

You can edit the MPQ as much as you want, as long as you don't offer it for download/sell it/require it for a map. I am not really sure since I never read the ToS (lol) but that's what I'd assume. Even then, I honestly don't think Blizzard would care if someone removed the sounds, unless they are pissed that you don't like listening to their awesome symphonies. =D

Level 15
Well, Blizzards acts strangely latety.They seem to want to ban everyone who opposes their will.

They ban people who use 3rd party software programs as well as those who modify the game itself.They even ban people flaming if you report them!

I would say they are mad with anger and they decided to get rid of all those who don't follow their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.