• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Making Spells usable during disable, hero pick system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello everyone,

currently making a map with an "interactive" hero pick system.
This is the first map i'm working on.
All available heroes are already as playable on the map, controlled by the computer, shared control with every player. You can switch between each individually by using the arrow keys but other than that not able to move or attack.
Besides their normal spells they have a Choose this hero ability which, as you guessed, picks the hero you are currently selecting.
They are on max level, having every spell available to show the players everything about the hero.

Problem: Making their spells unusable, except for the one that choses the hero

• Stunning. Creating a dummy which stunlocks them. This however makes me unable to use any spells at all. Not what i want. Possible workaround was something like Borrowed Time from Dota. Since im still pretty new to mapping, i did not manage to get it working. I copied an existing ability from Tich3 but this did not work.
  • Techtree req. This works but keeps the requirement afterwards so now i not only need certain levels for my abilites but also the specific requirement. Just looks bad imo.
  • 0 Mana. Removing all the mana. Works aswell but also not really good looking
  • Dummy spells. Works but is the most time consuming one. Since i plan on adding at least 20-30 heroes and possibly more in the future, this wouldn't be very efficent.
If you have any suggestions or perhaps a solution, it'd be much appreciated.

Level 20
Thats a though one. I had to think about it a while but then I remembered I did a similar thing in a map of mine, lol.

Cast Aerial shackles on the Heroes. They cant move or cast spells but you can read the spell descriptions just fine. Only drawback is a buff icon but you can be creative and find a use for it. I guess you also wouldnt be able to use the pick this hero ability though. Perheaps the order still triggers and can be used though.

To find that out you can display a message.
Unit issues an order with no target
Game - Display message to all players string(current order of (triggering unit))
Displaying message is good to get info about stuff you want to know.

EDIT: Hmm I dont think that will display the order really. Itd have to be based on some other event.

Last edited:
Level 3
Thats a though one. I had to think about it a while but then I remembered I did a similar thing in a map of mine, lol.

Cast Aerial shackles on the Heroes. They cant move or cast spells but you can read the spell descriptions just fine. Only drawback is a buff icon but you can be creative and find a use for it. I guess you also wouldnt be able to use the pick this hero ability though. Perheaps the order still triggers and can be used though.

To find that out you can display a message.
Unit issues an order with no target
Game - Display message to all players string(current order of (triggering unit))
Displaying message is good to get info about stuff you want to know.

EDIT: Hmm I dont think that will display the order really. Itd have to be based on some other event.
Yeah i tried aerial shackles already and changed the buff so it looked like they are in "showcase mode" but as you already said, i can't use the spell then. I think i will have to result to something different or skip the idea with the ability and make the event a cinematic skip. Since you can always use esc.

Status
Not open for further replies.