• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Make SetTerrainType show up on the mini map ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I found this thread from 2007: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/random-terrain-generator-36402/

REMEMBER, the minimap always is messed up on randomly generated maps (it does not update to match the new terane and so shows the default) and since you do not have the actions to generate a picture pixel by pixel to replace over the old mini-map, you will have to eithor have a messed up mini map or a picture where the mini-map should be.

Is this still applying or is there a way in the meantime to
make terrain showing up being created with SetTerrainType on the mini map ?

That still applies. The minimap is generated automatically when you save the map, but it isn't changed dynamically besides discovering areas/displaying units/goldmines/creep camps.

The only way I can think of is if you fake it by overwriting those blps that control the minimap display for a hero/gold mine/creep camp/etc. and place those around your map to match your generated terrain.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh, that is a great suggestion, should work out for my needs.
Thank you once again!

Level 7
You can also use destructables for this, but you'll need one destructable per minimap pixel. The minimap "pixels" don't need to be as small as game pixels though, you can make your destructables bigger and use fewer of them.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Thank you, but not very fitting for my needs,
but do you know by chance what is the size of one mini map pixel ?
I might need that information another time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What about with pings? Pings are models which are placed on the minimap and you are limited to like 64 or 100 of them at any given time. Enough for a low resolution image of sorts (eg 8*8) and since they are animated/customizable path you can get maybe some more detail that way.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh, that is an interesting suggestion, too.

I tried to change a building to show up a neutral building icon on the mini map.
It formerly was a unit, 'hfoo', but I ticked it as Is Building == true.
However, it does not show up when changing the two fields of neutral building options.
This is most likely caused as I used the Locust with Pahting trick to create these units.
Or do neutral building icons only show up on the mini map if placed before the map init ?

Status
Not open for further replies.