• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mah Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Was bored, created this terrain.
It is a simple Mountainous valley.

Say if you like, and if something needs fix - tell me.

Outdated: mountain valley.png

Updated: MV-RD.png

Last edited:
Level 51
well, it looks quite good, there are a few things that are in need of correction though:

-well, simple is it not really. It misshites the theme, because i not every mountain Valley you see burning houses o_O
-all the little grass is the same size and look in the same direction, fix that
-the middle part looks quite good, but the left and right side are really plain. you can see the end of the world. and...why are the houses burning? >.<
-the current trees are okay, but you can diffently find some better ones, I'm shure.

well, don't take my critic too hard. I'm no terrain expert also. I just like to help people :p

Level 51
it's not stolen from another game, it's just a simple model edit, but since the hive had some bad experience with xgm (some modellers stole other models from here etc... but in the past they also exported wow models.) so if I would post a link to xgm it would be diffently deleted, so it would be useless anyway...

btw: I don't like the new one. you can see the end of the world even more, the camera angle makes it look like "blerg" and the trees are a bad choice, as I mentioned already above...and even if the houses got attacked by bandits, why should the woman be still there, and, why is the house still burning when it is raining? >.< also some of the rocks are to high, they look really too much strached right now. and also, please don'T use the 'sunshine' thingys. they look horrible and unnatural. and now the grass is also a biiiit spammed on the ground.

fix that :)

1. I will add more specification in the background.
2. Fixing camera angle
3. The trees are just fine, They'r like the only animated ones.
4. The woman is there to pray on the grave of a Knight - He died defending the valley.
5. The rain was short, so the fire still could run.
6. Too high you say? I say it looks natural.
7. Why should I not use the rays? They're nice..
8. Grass... IS spammed. I was damn bored with the grass.
But... Ain't the grass in nature - Also spammed?

Level 51
1. I will add more specification in the background.
2. Fixing camera angle
3. The trees are just fine, They'r like the only animated ones.
4. The woman is there to pray on the grave of a Knight - He died defending the valley.
5. The rain was short, so the fire still could run.
6. Too high you say? I say it looks natural.
7. Why should I not use the rays? They're nice..
8. Grass... IS spammed. I was damn bored with the grass.
But... Ain't the grass in nature - Also spammed?

1. good :)
2. good :)
3. if you mean...
4. ok, but first of all, what should a 'Knight' do in a loneless valley with his (or a) woman? a knight usually has a castle and stuff, so it makes a bit no sence, but it is your choise...
5. well, if you mean...
6. with high I didn't mean the 'height' itself, like I said, it looks too streched. that looks ugly
7. in fact, they're NOT nice. at '6' you said that you want it to be natural (you said it in another way, but to make it short) but you will NEVER see such rais in reality.
8. well, you can't say the grass is spammed in nature. anyway, it just doesn't look good on your picture, that is the fact.

well, don't take it to harsh, I just want to help you :)

Level 7
Your terrain looks pretty nice, I like the use of rock formations.

There are two things I'd like to point out though. The tiles look pretty crap from this angle, try to cover up the ground a bit more with foliage, little rocks, logs etc. Also yes, nature does spam grass all over the place, but that doesn't mean it looks good if you take the same approach. You are creating art, nature isn't.

Secondly, the terrain lacks some atmosphere; try to work some more on your lightning. There are lots of way you can improve on lightning (assuming you're using the UTM):
Play around with the light effects under the Cinematic models, size them up, use them at different angles etc. to create nice effects. Covering up the background with clouds or a stormsphere works pretty nice too. And if your pc can handle it you could try using the skies displayed in the campaign backgrounds.

Have fun terraining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.